When will the US win the Sudirman?

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2007' started by 2cents, Jun 13, 2007.

1. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    The US is run by money. It has high GDP which means everything is driven by money, High GDP is not a warranty of money, but it is a requirement that everything wants to survive on this land, has to turn into an industry, a revenue generator.

The current business model for Sudirman cup is pathetic. Players play for nothing. No prize at all. The local organization has to give hundreds of thousand dollars to IBF to get the authorization to run the Sudirman. Then how the local organization run their cash flow? Not from fans! not from tickets! not from TV broadcasting! But from the associations all over the world to send their players, coaches, and journalists to the tournaments. There are almost 600 players, and totally probably 1,000 people pouring in Glasgow for the event (for example China sends 17 players, but more than 30 people in their team, and 23 journalists makes the total headcount to nearly 60). Assume each person spends $200 per day in Glasgow, then 7 days will give Glasgow 1.4 million dollars revenue. This is the business model for Sudirman cup. It is pathetic, it is the exact reason why Sudirman were mostly held in Europe. Simply because this model only works in Europe. The Sudirman in China will be running another business model.

Back the question how and when will the US win the Sudirman cup? The US cannot produce top players because there is simply no market yet. No body can see how to generate positive cash flow if investing money on training badminton players in the US. As most country, the US badminton association can get some small money for the tournaments expenses and training, but the US cannot afford to invest money for creating the top players to win the untouchable national "glory".

So if the US had hijacked Lin Dan and other top players. the US will use him to sell rackets and shoes in south east Asia instead of playing Sudirman. Top players will be more active in commercial tournaments. If a large amount of fans were built up in the US, then the players could survive by just playing professional badminton, there would be more commercial tournaments with higher prize. With larger amount of fans, sponsors, and top level players, the US will not win Sudirman, instead, those IBF events, such as Sudirman, Thomas, World Champs would be contained, merged, even demolished. So, currently the US cannot win Sudirman, if someday, it could win, then there would be the end of Sudirman.

Thank the US for not good in badminton, so we still have Sudirman.

2. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

That's the reason that the Sudirman is held in an abandoned garage. There is no ads, no sponsors, no spectators.... The local organization never mind these at all. They simply want to cut the cost and earn money on accommodations only. This is the current situation for badminton.

3. sen

sen Regular Member

USA never won Soccer World Cup but soccer is still popular

4. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

The US has soccer league but not good. Why? the same as badminton: it is not a revenue generator yet.

5. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

and also soccer is only popular in the teenager middle school girls in the US....... far from a professional career.

6. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Key point of my first post is that "the US cannot afford to import a top player in badminton"

NBA can pay tens of millions $ to Yao Ming not because it has money, but because Yao Ming can generate much more money than he earns.

If a top badminton player cannot generate more money, then the US just cannot afford to have one.

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    buying talents only last for so long. LD and XXF are likely good for 2 more years, then what? Beside, if they have all those good things given to them, they'll get fat and lazy :p China dominates because they have strong players in E, D, C, B, and A classes, not only the pros class. IE, china has a system of producing top badminton players. Of course if US is able to keep buying every new young stars from china, denmark, etc, than that is do-able:p

8. indra

indra Regular Member

when?

in 2089:D

9. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

The US will have to import to players to win.

10. sugar_free

sugar_free Regular Member

University Student (Dentistry)
    From what I heard from my friends who study in USA, soccer is known as sport for Mexicans (although many famous players, i.e. Brian McBride, are not Mexicans)... Kinda racist statement... That is why it is not famous at all... Not many good players are interested playing in MLS... And now, they are hoping that David Beckham can make this sport famous in USA...

I think the condition is quite similar with badminton in USA... My cousin told me that in his highschool, his school's badminton club mostly consist of Asian-American students... It is really different from basketball and tennis...

The same condition happen when I become (kinda) exchange student in Australia, Asian-Australian students (esp. from Malaysia) dominate the badminton club... One of my Australian friend who join the footie club even asked me 'Why are you so crazy about badminton? It is such a boring sport!':mad: *So what?! I find it exciting and I love it!*... And then one day he change his mind because he watched badminton on TV for the first time in his life, Singapore Open finals MD and MS, and find it really exciting, attractive (referring to the jump smashes:cool:), and thrilling...

My opinion: If badminton is dominated mostly by Asian-American, it can't be famous in USA... And therefore, if it is not famous, and it doesn't earn much money, I don't think people will be interested to be involved in this sport... Tiger Wood's and the Williams sisters' parents wanted them to become a golfer and tennis pro players because it will earn lots of money:rolleyes:...

The Australian part is just comparison... I think it is similar with the condition in USA... Maybe if intl badminton competitions are broadcasted daily in USA (just like in many Asian countries) people will like it and interested in this sport... No offense to anyone, this is just my personal opinion:cool:...

11. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    If badminton tourneys go virtual or computer simulation, USA would have a great chance of dominating badminton, not just winning...hahaha (sorry to my USA friends, I'm just sarcastic here)! Realistically, I could not see USA winning Sudirman or OLY anytime soon. Sports in USA is all about business and making a buck. Unless TV or media can find a way to commercialize badminton to generate revenue, fat chance for badminton to breath the same air as tennis. Sure female badminton players may be attractive in a certain way, they are no Maria Sharapova or Anna Kournikova in tight, sweat soaked short blouses that TV can use to sell commercial, or capture the minds of hormone charged fans to fork out $$$ to watch in the hot sun, with tongues sticking out, eyes following every moves of Maria until cross-eyed, and breathing heavy! Hahaha!
    About the theory that each players spent $200/day in Glasgow, that I am not sure...how do you know that these players or their associations are not so darn cheap that they or their association would not put these players to crash the night in the local YMCA, or in some fans' residence and eat out in chinatown on noodles, fried rice and no charge free tea refill and free red bean soup desert on the house and free fortune cookies, hahaha!!! LOL!!!:D

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hopefully before i die.

13. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I would love to see badminton making an impact in America, and if America can win a major title, that would be excellent...and also healthy for this beautiful sport (now I am bias) to grow...also, I do not have to take leave to fly to see the sport in another country. Seeing on video dl, I appreciate and sincerely thanks BC fans for their generous upload, but it is not the same than to see live, that I miss most. Unless the playing field is even up, say CHN players imported out, as happening in S'pore now, then CHN is simply too strong.

14. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

I spent 6 yrs at Arizona and was the winner in many of the local/AZ tournaments. Been to few inter-states tournaments and noticed a lot of Asians players instead of local breed players. Having said that, it's not suprising that the sport/Badminton is not popular at all. I strongly believe the reason behind all the success is the greed of MONEY. Look at MJ, LeBrown, Woods, etc... they are worth hundred of millions with the NIKE endorsements. Do U think Yonex will spend this astronomical amount of money of US badminton players? I doubt so, unless a US-YaoMing badminton player can beat the mighty LinDan or Taufik and win the Olympics n All England. Till then, I'd say it WONT happen till I "retired" from my beloved sport/Badminton :D

I am not sure if US imports foreign talents will help them to surge as a reckon force in the Badminton, but it certainly helps to promote the game to the locals. Look at Singapore. They are very successful in importing foreign talents from CHN and INA, and I hope/think that they will be promoted to Div1 this yr. Well done SG... :)

15. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

I thought Chandra/Tony(USA) won MD in World Championship few yrs ago? Again, Tony aint local breed either...

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Tony Gunawan and Howard Bach. Howard is local breed player. so yes, there is hope, but a Sudirman Cup is not just one event, for one to win there needs to be equally strong in all events.

furthermore, Tony isn't playing with Howard anymore. Howard is now playing with Bob Malaythong in order to fight for a spot in the Olympics. Tony isn't eligible to represent US for the 2008 Olympics.

17. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    THE US WILL NEVER WIN THE SURDIRMAN CUP YOU KNOW WHY!?
    Cause China owns, and they have factories where they build kids into badminton players, so the US has NO HOPE WHAT SO EVER!

GO LIN DAN GO GO LIN DAN GO GO FU HAIFENG GO GO FU HAIFENG GO

18. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Someday when bdm become very popular and has high commercial value in this superpower country.

19. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Rather than hope for that, try for it yourself !:D:D

20. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Yeah...some day...some day...we will keep waiting for the day, as the song goes "somewhere over the rainbow, la la la........":D