Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

2. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Did ZJP skipped the past few tournaments? Looks like he is named in the mixed team though. Are they gonna have him as their main MS in sudirman later?

3. CLEAN

CLEAN Regular Member

Tan Ning is currently partnered with Xia Yuting. They were at the Indonesia Masters and are now at the Thailand Masters.

They look quite strong... hopefully, they'll improve with time.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think highly of Tan Ning .

In fact, I've said more than once that I hoped to see Tan Ning switching to or concentrating solely on women's singles instead of doing double duty in WS and WD as she's stretching herself too thin, and I see her as a bright prospect in women's singles more than in women's doubles, and that at a time when CHN WS discipline is in the doldrums after the retirement of Li Xuerui, Wang Yihan and Wang Shixian. Recall how Tan Ning fought tenaciously with Chen Yufei in the National Championships/National Games a year or two ago.

Now that she's playing mostly if not only WD, I feel that she's showing good potential too. Maybe CBA might one day try her out with Liu Shengshu, who knows that might possibly be a lethal, most devastating combination.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I overheard while watching one of the Zhuafan livestreams where the livestreamer and the forumers were conversing about the entire CHN National Team members feeling homesick, esp during the Chinese New Year season. Not only that, a few of the players were indisposed or slightly injured, for example, He Bingjiao was said to be suffering a minor injury in one of the matches and insisted on finishing the match in order not to lose ranking points; and Chen Yufei, Wang Yilu, Zheng Siwei were under the weather, including having diarrhea, stomach flu, or unable to acclimatize to the heat and humidity in certain countries.

Let's hope after the February tournament break where only the second tier players will be taking part in the Thai Masters from 31 Jan to 5 Feb, the whole CHN Team, who will probably go home to spend some time with their families back home, will come back fresh and recharged for the European Tour in March.

6. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

@Justin L @CLEAN @antssantss what is going with weng honyang?? Bunch of new players for Thailand international challenge and final we will see doong taian yao in international tournament.

#4446 Banuka, Feb 3, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Weng Hongyang, well, he actually didn't do too badly at the Sunrise Thai Open though he lost to Lin Chun-Yi in R1 narrowly, 21-18, 15-21, 19-21, a close fight.

In a way, WHY was just unlucky to meet the surprise package, LCY, whom we now know progressed all the way to the final, in the process taking out Shi Yuqi in the semis, 21-15, 21-19, and will take on Ng Kah Long for the title tomorrow.

Still, WHY has been off the boil in a while, hope to see him have another breakout tournament soon.

Sadly, Team CHN's Men's Singles category is in crisis for some time now, there is not a single MS who can really deliver when it matters. Not looking too good for Team CHN in the upcoming 2023 Badminton Asia Mixed Team Championships from 14-19 February, not to mention the Sudirman Cup 2023 from 14 to 21 May.

8. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

@Justin L @CLEAN @antssantss very disappointed and sad to see how tan ning is playing. When she was playing singles, she had a very powerful jump smash. But when playing doubles, she really smashes and never doing jump smashes. Even she smashes, lack of power can be seen. She has become very passive player in the court.

9. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

I'd like to have your comments on Tan Ning.

From my side, with my high expectation for her, I'm kinda unsatisfied with the way she played. I feel that her play belongs to the Ma Jin, Kakiiwa/Maeda's era, when she played at the front and let her partner XiaYT do all the hardwork at the back. When being pushed to the back, she could do 2-3 smashes, then a drop or punch clear (!!!). I was surprised that she gave up the initiative so easily with those clears. Her net play and interception were acceptable, although sometimes she still let go some shots and XiaYT had to cover.

However, her defence were good and solid. But at the moment, it seems Liu Sheng Shu is doing better than her.

10. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    Agree comments on Tan Ning. The other 2 WD are better combinations.
    Also agree that WHY played better in the latest tournament. I hope he is getting more confident.
    The coaches need to single out the talented ones at 16/17 years.
    By the time they get on the scene they should have a strong allround game.
    I find at 20 they have set their game and will have problems improving, except vitidsarn.

11. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

@antssantss @Justin L @CLEAN @decrepit why the young and new womens double pair of LI Yi Jing / LUO Xu Min is separated?? they have participated in few tournaments and shown good results,

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Just bear in mind that all these new pairings are still work-in-progress, apart from., say, Chen Qingchen/Jia Yifan which is firm at least for the next Olympic cycle.

In other words, I think CBA is continually trying out the new pairings or combinations and reshuffling them not so much based on how they perform during training but in tournament conditions for that's how they really perform in actuality. That's to say, how well you do in training only shows potential, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, the tournament results and, of course, how the coaches view the players performance and potential.

That's how I see it.

13. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

tbgoh288 and CLEAN like this.
  14. CLEAN

CLEAN Regular Member

15. ChildrenOfBadminton

ChildrenOfBadminton Regular Member

16. CLEAN

CLEAN Regular Member

Justin L and tbgoh288 like this.
  17. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    I put the article through google translate and it seems Ahsan and Setiawan are the only foreign players this season, am I right?

18. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

#4459 tbgoh288, Feb 12, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    Justin L likes this.
  19. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired