Shi Yuqi ( 石宇奇 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Caffrey, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

His word ranking keeps dropping, even his Denmark open win hardly did anything cos he then lost his all england points. I do wonders though fir team competitions, are they gonna keep him as their first choice MS if his ranking is gonna be lower than zjp, lgz, even lsf? I guess its possible for sudirman cup..

2. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

For 2023, it's only mixed team event (Sudirman Cup & its Qualification on February), so no extra worries.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Sudirman cup: Any men’s singles can be chosen regardless of ranking. Only one mens singles is played within each match. Teams pick the players who are best for the job.

4. Justafan90

Yeah, I figured. But wouldn’t it be unfair to the other players if the lowest ranked player is picked for a majority of the matches especially the bigger ones ie quarters, semi’s maybe even finals

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

To call that tactic unfair seems rather strange in a team.

In sports like football and basketball, don’t they pick players according to who is in form or have particular tactical strengths?

All along in badminton team tournaments, one of the main attractions is that interesting changes in line ups can be made.

I think the most dramatic example was 1986 Thomas Cup. China dropped their no. 1 singles player Han Jian and played with the no. 2, 3 and 4 ranked singles players. They felt the no. 2 player had the better mix of ability to win the first singles.

#505 Cheung, Oct 31, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  6. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

If I'm not mistaken, CHN fielded Yang Yang, Ding Qiqing (MS2, now JPN WD coach Kei Nakashima) and Xiong Guobao against host INA in Thomas Cup final at that time.

Cheung likes this.
  7. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

The goal is victory and who's the most potential MS to deliver winning point to oppose strong team? Frankly speaking none but SYQ.

Cheung and skhai91 like this.
  8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The following is what I wrote on the French Open'22 thread on Shi Yuqi's opening round defeat to Loh Kean Yew:

"Loh Kean Yew is at his best when he plays freely, going with the flow, his speed, anticipation second to none, just not consistent enough and often let his eagerness to win affect his game, otherwise, I think he should beat VA more often than not and achieve better results than he's done so far.

In this match with SYQ, the latter started passively and tentatively but LKY happened to be in his element today with nothing much to lose in this S300 event except pride perhaps. SYQ sensing defeat played with more urgency, stepped it up in G2 but ,with LKY stubbornly at his tail, failed to keep up the pressure as the score was to close for comfort, and lost it in the end.

Actually, I feel if SYQ has a stronger will to win and play with more confidence and not overthink, I think he still has a fighting chance to turn the match around in G2 and win the decider as well. "

To add, it's imperative for Shi Yuqi to play more tournaments without thinking too much about victory or defeat for the time being - what he needs most is lots of exposure to regain his feel and touch for badminton, to rekindle his passion for the sport, and reignite the desire and , better still, his hunger to win, I trust with his talent he can get back his competitive over most of his opponents. Who knows, he might even raise his game another level, the potential is there backed up by the best resources CBA can offer.

From what I've gathered and based on my understanding, its CBA's policy never to give up on any player who does not give up on himself or herself. As a case in point, apart from past examples, Li Xuerui, Lin Guipu, Liu Xin, and now SYQ himself, just to name these few, I'm at the moment also watching Gao Fangjie's comeback trail, having won her very first two tournaments, she's now playing her third event in Vietnam in as many weeks.

9. Justafan90

Will he have enough points to play in the Malaysia Open?

10. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Slim chance to register MAS or IND Open since these two tours have no qualification round.

upload_2022-11-3_9-43-56.png

Tokyo OG 2020 point will be removed soon (two or three weeks later) whilst MAS Open 2023 will use 2nd December BWF WR for player's entry.

11. Justafan90

He really had needed to do well in the french open and hylo, both which he did not. I guess aus is not going to be enough..

12. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

SYQ's big target is the Paris OG. There is plenty of time for that.

His shorter term target is the WC next year. He is in a bit of danger of not getting into tournaments but still in reasonable shape to qualify for the WC.

Given the sorry state of Chinse MS today, SYQ should not worry too much about the cups. Just take care of his own business.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

This week his ranking is 31.

14. Justafan90

His ranking is going up? If he does well in Aus, he might stay in the top 32 and be able to play in Malaysia maybe?

15. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Paris 2024 will be his last (and maybe best) chance to earn Olympic medal, don't think Shi YQ could shine in LA28 (32 years old), he has no perseverance character like his illustrious predecessors LD and CL.

Because he and all China players skipped tournaments in early 2021 so no expired points to remove.
    I guess his WR will be adequate to register both MAS & IND Open but talking about opportunity to win title, he should pay more focus INA Masters (9,200) and THA Masters (7,000) in following weeks where top players will eye those S1000 & 750 in KL and Delhi as well.

16. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Australian Open QF, vs Loh Kean Yew

17. CLEAN

CLEAN Regular Member

18. Bryan Wong

Bryan Wong Regular Member

*SPOILERS*

Felt like a pretty smart game between SYQ and Naraoka; the JP player might have won had not he been just a bit too anxious in the last 4 points.

Still a good victory for the elegant attacker.

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yup, it was too close for comfort for Shi Yuqi, at one rally, SYQ gave Kodai Naraoka a thumbs up for an excellent exchange of shots, especially the last one that caught him off-guard.

In the end, SYQ at 18-19 down in the decider was sort of gifted two points when KN twice netted his drop shots before SYQ cleverly played a quick push to the back on KN's return of serve instead of net to net dribble to score the winning matchpoint.

Though this is SYQ 's second match wins in as many meetings, both were hard-fought encounters that tested each other's limit, the more so when SYQ is just back from a yearlong hiatus and sometimes showed signs of fatigue.

Even so, I must highly commend Kodai Naraoka's performance so far in recent months, and he's still only 21 years old. In fact, he's improved so much,particularly his consistency in shotmaking, his remarkable stamina, and his reading of the game is such that , I daresay,any top 10/20 opponent who is somewhat off-the-boil and/or a little fatigued than usual will more likely than not come a cropper at his hands. Nay,I will even go further and say, he will be a worthy successor to Kento Momota one day, more than Kenta Nishimoto, Kanta Tsuneyama or Koki Watanabe could.

20. Bryan Wong

Bryan Wong Regular Member

Agreed. This is not the JP thread but the other three somehow lack any real weapon or ability required to consistently challenge the top 10; Kodai, whether or not he has been studied by his opponents, always gets the ball back and persists so much. And he has the technique to actually earn a good number of points from SYQ, even if he does overuse that late cross court backhand hairpin.

Like all other JP players he has no real sting in his smashes however.