Need recommendations for a new racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Savage Attack, Sep 4, 2022.

1. Savage Attack

Savage Attack Regular Member

Student
    Currently using 2x JS12 4U, it was great when I was younger but now I'm U19 and finding them a bit lacking in power from the backcourt. The smashes feel very flimsy (if that can describe a smash lol) I play doubles and mainly smash and drive. I've tried the AX88S Pro and Arcsaber 11 Pro but finding them nowhere near as fast on defense as the JS12. However, JS12 feels a bit too flexible and not enough control. Any suggestions?

I was thinking about a 4u Thruster Ryuga or 3u JS12II for a replacement

#1 Savage Attack, Sep 4, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  2. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

Maybe the yonex nanoflare 800?

3. Eskie

Eskie New Member

I have the JS12II and played with the JS12 for a few sessions. JS12II smashes are about the same or slightly weaker than the JS12 IMO.
    I have the TKF-E as well - smash is a level above JS12, easier to play back court with, defense is only slightly slower than the JS12/JS12II
    DriveX9X - I don't have any experience with this but depending on your playing style, you may want to consider this too

One thing to note is that all these have the "free core" handle, you'll want to see if that's something you may like before buying. I was skeptical about it for awhile but after playing with it for a month or so, it does absorb shocks better

Good luck mate

Savage Attack likes this.
  4. NickifiedNg

NickifiedNg Regular Member

I once owned both the 4U JS12 and 4U JS12ii at the same time, but later sold the JS12ii and still use the JS12.

The JS12ii does have a slightly weaker smash compared to the JS12. Both rackets are better Front to Midcourt rackets. The JS12ii does have the upper hand in handling the racket vibration due to the 'Freecore' which IMO is a pretty revolutionary technology because of how well it dampens harder feeling strings like BG80 which might be a little unpleasant for some players.

I actually think the JS12ii isn't an upgrade from the JS12 but more of a sidegrade. Because of the freecore you can't really 'feel' the shuttle for those controlled shots.

I think a racket that might fit your requirements is the 4u Victor Thruster FE or a 3u Victor Auraspeed 100x.

Khamenman and Savage Attack like this.
  5. xajani36

xajani36 New Member

I think this the best racket for your demand.

Nanoray 900

Yonex uses unique technology to design the Nanoray which offers a highly flexible frame. This frame allows the racket to delay the repulsion of the shuttlecock, allowing you to send it down a steeper angle during a smash.

6. xajani36

xajani36 New Member

I think this the best graphite pickleball paddles racket for your demand.

Nanoray 900

Yonex uses unique technology to design the Nanoray which offers a highly flexible frame. This frame allows the racket to delay the repulsion of the shuttlecock, allowing you to send it down a steeper angle during a smash.

7. Savage Attack

Student
    update, unfortunately i live in nz and there isnt many opportunities to try rackets but i tried a 4u 100zz and found that it was a bit unforgiving but when i hit the sweet spot the power is amazing, i just dont really like the feeling of yonex rackets however so the store owner suggested the tkf enhanced?

8. NickifiedNg

NickifiedNg Regular Member

The TKFE is a good racket. I just got one for myself. But FYI the head is really compact. Like smaller than the 100zz. But damn the power is pretty easy

9. pootisfoib

pootisfoib Regular Member

Consider the Auraspeed 90k. Although it's labelled head-light, it's actually more even to slightly head heavy with a stiff shaft. It's also fast because it has the Auraspeed frame. Good balance of offense and defence. There's also an Auraspeed 90k ii coming out soon with a Freecore handle.

10. Troelsh

Troelsh New Member

Just switched from BS12 to TKF enhanced, and i must say, that this is the best racket i have ever used.

It is a bit slower than BS12 (i guess all rackets are), but it is better in all other aspects.

pootisfoib likes this.
  11. Jtcjw

Jtcjw Regular Member

I've been trying quite a lot of rackets over the past couple of years with the objective of finding a better replacement for my 3U Bravesword 12. These include all the Astroxes with exception of Astrox 77, Aeronaut 9000C, Tectonic 7, Auraspeed 90S, JS12, TKF Enhanced, Nanoflare 700, Arcsaber 11, and Nanoflare 800.

In the end, I now alternate between BS12 and Nanoflare 800, with BS12 still my main racket. I play doubles (prefer rear court) and find BS12 provides me with the best balance between speed, power, and control.

12. pootisfoib

I guess what they say is true, that there's nothing like the BS12. No wonder it's still Victor's bestseller.

#12 pootisfoib, Oct 30, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  13. pootisfoib

Another racket to consider is the Astrox 88d pro. It's head-heavy, stiff, and designed for the attacking backcourt player. The stiffness gives it good stability and control, and it's relatively fast for a head-heavy racket due to the slim shaft/frame and fully-recessed frame. I believe the defense legend Lee YongDae currently uses the 88d pro.

The 88d pro has a higher power ceiling than the Auraspeed 90k, but the 90k is faster. Both have good stability and control. I think the 90k was meant to be the successor to the JS12.

#13 pootisfoib, Oct 30, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  14. Savage Attack

Student
    update #2
    I spotted a new 3u ax88s pro on fb marketplace and bought it for 135usd. I thought even if I didn't like it I could trade it. I have used it for a few sessions and i quite like it, there isn't as much punch as i would've expected from a 3u hh racket compared to my js12m but there is a slight improvement, defense isn't as quick but isn't to the point of being unusable. I'm still not sure if its the racket for me but at the moment its not too bad. I'll probably buy something outlandish in Hong Kong to try out like a Gosen Inferno Raid/Ex

pootisfoib likes this.
  15. pootisfoib

If you do end up getting a Gosen please let us know how it is. I've been looking into Gosens recently after trying the Gravitas 7SR and liking it.

16. Savage Attack

Student
    i will definitely compare any inferno to the js12 as both seem to be aero frame rackets, still debating what lesser known racket id buy, redson, gosen, etc

pootisfoib likes this.
  17. Savage Attack

Student
    update #3
    the improvements i felt after buying the 88s pro were most likely placebo as after using the 88s pro 3u for like a month ive come to the conclusion that i cannot use 3u rackets, my wrist and elbow definitely start getting sore after a while and i just switch back to my js12. Most likely will try the tkfe 4u, are there any other suggestions for a slightly head heavy racket like the tkfe?

18. pootisfoib

Astrox 77pro, Thruster Ryuga 2, Duora 10 LT, and Tectonic 9, but their frames aren't as quick as the TKFE.

#18 pootisfoib, Dec 15, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
  19. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

Hey there, I think I might be able to help you since I myself was (and still is, just not that often anymore) JS12 user. I love it to the point I have 2 copies. I have owned several rackets such as Nanoflare 800, Arcsaber 11 Pro, LiNing N9ii, Adidas A5 and have sold all of them, while my trusty JS12 remain in my badminton bag. By the way, both of my JS12 are in 3U.

Now my question is, what are you looking to improve from your next racket? If it is power you are looking for, then I would suggest 100ZZ, preferably in 4U. I love it so much that I own 3 copies of it. I know exactly what you mean by unforgiving, as it took me also around 2/3 weeks until I get the "click" but when you do, it's simply the best racket out there. So I strongly suggest you to try it a bit longer, and if you like me, most likely you will love it.

If let's say after 3 weeks you still don't like it, my next suggestion would be either TKFE or 88D Pro. I think you will find TKFE easier to use and better feeling but 88D Pro will give you a bit more power.

#19 Khamenman, Jan 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  20. kingsooji

kingsooji Regular Member

Was the free core first introduced in JS12 ii ?. I read JS12 is a popular racket, but not many reviews of the JS12 ii. Any reason why it didn't click as much as the other free core rackets ?