Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. CLEAN

CLEAN Regular Member

Indonesia live:

2. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    Quite a performance for China in Denmark. Heartening to see both Hbj and Cyf playing quite aggressive badminton. Also noticeable that there seems to be more big smashers in the XD. Both players in the Indonesian tournaments were very strong.
    Congratulations SYQ. A great performance.

3. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

So i just noticed. LGZ and ZJP are the same age as SYQ but why does it feels like SYQ has been around longer and they are considered juniors to him?

4. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

5. CLEAN

CLEAN Regular Member

You probably know that his usual partner is Lin Fanglin.. don't know what the future holds. It might depend somewhat on whether Wang Yilu can recover sufficiently to play at his usual excellent level

6. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

China's 100% triumph, winning all of the 4 finals they contested in the Denmark open, was a breath of fresh air for the Chinese fans. They have not achieved this kind of results for a long long time.

skhai91, Woesi and Justin L like this.
  7. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

There was a all Chineese mixed doubles final in Indonesia super 100 event too.

tbgoh288 likes this.
  8. RC47

RC47 Regular Member

http://www.china.org.cn/world/Off_the_Wire/2022-10/22/content_78480584.htm

Chinese Badminton Association submits complaint to BWF for unfair service faults and physical altercation by Danish coach Thomas Stavngarrd.

"The Chinese Badminton Association requested that the BWF should immediately prohibit the two above-mentioned referees from officiating any match involving the Chinese team in any form, investigate whether the two referees have been involved in match-fixing, review and examine the service judge's officiating based on the videos, and that the service judge should provide a reasonable explanation for the nine service fault calls.

The Chinese badminton governing body also argued that Stavngarrd provoked a physical altercation, which was live recorded and had negative impacts, but referee Raymond Van Eijk did not intervene in time to stop it."

antssantss, skhai91 and Justin L like this.
  9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yeah, I watched that match involving ZSW/HYQ against a Danish pair where ZSW was faulted for his service several times (9 times as reported, imagine that), and I suspected something was amiss then.

10. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

I really want to see whether BWF will officially response on this issue!

Cheung likes this.
  11. visor

visor Regular Member

I dunno... A few times HYQ raises both hands at the last moment before serving and the feathers look to be over the 115 mark. Remember the whole shuttle has to be below that level.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

samkool and Cheung like this.
  12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It’s not match fixing - too obvious for that.

I wonder about that hand raising. A lot of service judges would fault on the raising of the hands interpreting as representing hitting the shuttle too high.

In future tournaments, we will probably see challenges with video reviews ? The sooner the better for the sport and viewer experience.

13. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

I feel like Chinese badminton association reacts too much about this incident. There is no question of match mixing as it will jeopardise the Denmark badminton associations' future and service judge's credibility.
    I wonder how CBA reacted to an incident where a Chinese umpire sitting for Chinese WD pair against Japanese where it was a deliberate attempt by Chinese umpire not to allow Japanese pair to challenge the lines call. Firstofall, I would call that incident to be more match fixing than this as that involved Chinese umpire . And also, according to me this service judge seems very strict . This should be the case other than match fixing.

#4293 Baddyforall, Oct 25, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  14. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    correct. and for those who need clarification:

9. SERVICE
    9.1.6. the whole shuttle shall be below 1.15 metres from the surface of the court at the instant of being hit by the server’s racket;
    hawkeye would have to place 2 cameras behind 2 service devices (1 pointing towards each side) on the chair umpire's side of the court so as to not interfere with the service judge's duties.

ideally hawkeye will develop some sort of system and/or device for it.

#4294 samkool, Oct 25, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
    Justin L and Cheung like this.
  15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    ….And not when the shuttle leaves the strings.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Whatever, nine service faults called on a single player, a highly experienced professional who's never been faulted so many times, at most a couple, merits investigation by BWF, regardless of the motivation or cause, personal wrongdoing or technical issues.

If nothing is done, the subjectivity of and/or room for arbitrary service fault calls by the service judge(s) will, I guarantee you, continue to give rise to such incidents, intentional or otherwise, and be a subject of contention, even mar the integrity of the sport. Mind you, any player can fall victim to it.

Justanotherfan likes this.
  17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You digressed too much, they are two separate issues. Besides, umpires not allowing certain line call challenges can occur and has occurred once in a blue moon to matches involving any two teams from any nationalities. The example you gave smacks of racial bias or outright racism, unwarranted - what's the tournament referee for?

In passing, hats off to "Danish head coach Kenneth Jonassen (who) apologized on Chinese social media on Saturday, saying they would apologize again in person to coach Yang at next week's French Open, while not mentioning Stavngarrd in his statement, but instead referring to "the Danish coach engaging in the incident."

Makes me wonder, if it happened to one of your established IND XD player, you'd simply brush it off as nothing?

tbgoh288 likes this.
  18. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

Has anybody actually tried to analyse at which height ZSW and HYQ were hitting the shuttles from based off the footage from the side view camera?

Have looked at all of them (pausing on the frame they made contact with the shuttle) with a ruler and thought that all of the serves faulted seemed to be pretty borderline or too high when judging these heights compared to their respective bodie heights.
    I know this isn't a viable and extremely rough solution and there are factors like the non optimal camera angle and the players not standing completely straight (but HYQ slightly elevated on her toes and some extra height due to shoes).
    Even when adding a few centimeters of margin most of these serves looked they the fault calls were still not completely unreasonable like Gill made it sound.

We definetly need a camera to monitor the service judge in these kind of situations but I am actually rather confused why Zheng and Huang are not being faulted more frequently.
    Espc HYQ who lifts her left hand up quite a lot right before making contact while the top of the shuttle is just a few centimeters below her armpit.

This actually makes me worry that other service judges (and maybe she too in the future) won't fault players of such calibre unless it is completely obvious that they are serving too high just because they have so much respect and are worrying about the consequences of actually doing their job...

#4298 Woesi, Oct 26, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
  19. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Unless CBA has solid evidence of matching fixing or least betting by the officials in question, their accusation is ill advised and plain stupid.

While it is correct to be assertive and serve notice that the Chinese team is not to be pushed around, the proper way to go about it should leave a way out for the other side. Even if very bad calls were made, it may just a human error, a lapse in judgement, etc. Making the complaint to send a strong signal, that should be enough as the first salvo.

Match fixing is a criminal offence. If true, the offenders should be sent to jail and banned from officiating duties for life, not just not officiating matches involving the Chinese team. That kind of charge should not be put forward lightly. There is no need to antagonize the officiating community with such severe accusation without solid supporting evidence.

Whoever came up with this idea should be fired. If there is no evidence other than the 9 service fault calls, CBA should apologize for their over the top reaction.

20. CLEAN

CLEAN Regular Member

Screenshots, lines etc. drawn in a Chinese forum. In my opinion, impossible to conclude from these -- isn't that what they call parallax?

Justin L likes this.