2022 Canada Open

Discussion in '2022 Tournaments' started by Monster, Sep 9, 2022.

1. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Anyone coming over to Calgary for this?

2. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    when it becomes a wt500 next year i will.

Cheung likes this.
  3. James blake

James blake Regular Member

It’s turning to 500?? Maybe I will have to make the trip over next year too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. om patel

om patel Regular Member

WTF BWF! Not streaming the canada open nor vietnam open . Is it just because its a small 100 series or no VA , minions , AK playing ?? You guys are the federation’l of badminton even if its a 50 series stream it! Hard
    Core fans would love to watch lesser name players or just watch badminton in general as the 500+ are on a
    HUGE break ! BWF is ran by idiots!! I can wait till im a multi millionaire / billionaire and BUY BWF And make it more poplar then tennis and soccer, the rite way ! You guys are garbage!

Martynas likes this.
  5. Monster

Monster Regular Member

6. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

The lesser-known Takuma Obayashi stunned home favourite Brian Yang yesterday, WS semis pratically going into the script except Zhang BW lost narrowly to Sung SY.

7. Monster

Monster Regular Member

All Canadian Men Singles couldn't make it past QF. :(

8. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Brian Yang losing to someone, was a surprise, especially most of good asian players was taking part in Vietnam Open

9. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

no court 1 livestreaming today

10. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

11. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Obayashi, a former National Team B player, was always promising. Unfortunately, he was plagued by injury during his university years. After graduating and entering Tonami this year, he has really picked up. I watched him live once at the Osaka International Challenge 2019, before his injury set in. In the final, he was beaten by Watanabe Koki, but it was only his stamina that let him down.

Simeon and CLELY like this.
  12. Jaykoh8

Jaykoh8 Regular Member

Surprisingly Marin beaten by Sung SY.

13. oldtaby

oldtaby Regular Member

Alex Lanier, 17, takes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Bardie

Bardie Regular Member

It is nonsense to say that this is due to BWF. In tournaments below BWF 300, the exploitation rights lie with the respective organizer, in this case Badminton Canada. They have sold the rights for the semifinals & finals Court 1 to the pay TV broadcaster HN. Thus, it is Badminton Canada's responsibility that BWF is not allowed to show these games on the Youtube channel. BTW, you can watch the finals for CAD 10 here: https://video.hnlive.ca/en/c/2022-yonex-canada-open-sunday-october-2nd-finals.3793

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Is HN a Canadian company? The TV rights exclusivity would only apply to Canada (plus any broadcasters who bought the rights in other countries) and usually not uniformly worldwide.

16. Bardie

Bardie Regular Member

Of course, HN is a Canadian streaming service that wants to make money with its pay TV offering. It's naïve to think that this company only buys the rights for the Canadian market or that they allow BWF to show the games on the Youtube channel only geoblocked for Canada. Anyone in Canada with an easy to use VPN would be able to watch the games on BWF Youtube for free and HN wouldn't make a dollar.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Isn’t it presumptuous to say naive if I don’t know anything about the company nor the local market. Typing in HN into Google gave nothing immediately obvious about a Canadian company. You actually originally stated it was a broadcaster rather than mainly a streaming service.

Are you privy to the contract terms? Do they state worldwide broadcasting rights or is that your assumption?

Isn’t it much the same for you being naive of companies or situations in other countries? Should I expect you to know about media companies in the UK, HK, China, Malaysia? Perhaps of course if you are in the media industry.

#17 Cheung, Oct 3, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  18. Bardie

Bardie Regular Member

Of course, I don't know the details of this particular contract. At least I can say that I know five countries in Europe where the contracts are as I have described. It doesn't matter whether we talk about streaming or broadcasting, it's almost the same as far as contractual rights are concerned. By the way: It doesn't need Mr. Google to find out that HN is a Canadian company. You can find this information on the homepage of HN. My original message related to a user's request that these BWF 100 tournaments should be freely posted on the youtube channel. BTW: The y are free except the finals! Are all champions league or lower division football matches freely shown on TV or internet? No of course not. Because TV rights make money. Why should badminton be any different? We should be happy that BWF is showing us so many tournaments free! Best regards and no offense.