Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Civil War between Kevin and Herry IP.

Seems like Kevin cannot handle downfall . Its funny how all of this is out at the same time when he wasnt WR1. Why waste energy on this publicity instead of finding a way to get into top 8 (which theyll be out Year End).

Why talk about 2016 when he already wins 29SS after that. If Not happy could have quit right after IndiaOpen? Its too much to say you were second fiddled. Even ChenLong never openly said so that he was second and that is for much longer time (despite winning Olympic WC). Even being called useless after winning only ‘Silver’ in Tokyo. Just accept it in the chin and said you ll do better next time (after the IO open debacle).

somehow maybe we kinda know this will happen. His hot headed nature on the field, doesnt allow criticism, etc

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    They would have to choose Herry. No player is bigger than the team. A fired up Kevin will be good for the game.

3. sen

sen Regular Member

The past few months since Indonesian open, they already made compromised arrangement which the public are not aware of but I guess all the other pelatnas players probably aware. Kevin trained with the mixed double and the junior squad.
    Indonesian players are quite close so nobody would say it to the public until a resourceful journalist manage to write the speculative piece that put both Kevin and Herry to tell their stories

However, given the public pressure now, pretty sure the compromised arrangement will be abandoned and there will be different outcome

Cheung likes this.
  4. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    neither is a coach that wants you to throw a match.

5. sen

sen Regular Member

This does not hold true for Indonesian sports association. No player and coach is bigger than the sports association head. So the decision will be PBSI head decision and everyone will accept. So far PBSI delayed the decision because the public does not know and probably they still hope for a middle ground resolve quietly.

6. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Being an Athlete with ongoing million dollar contract with Yonex he shouldn be saying like what he wants to say imo.

unlike the CHN girl who lost to GZC in Sydney 2000. That is long time then i guess its okay.

7. wade

wade Regular Member

I'm not saying it's justified, but I feel like it's the case for almost every top nation in badminton. I mean we shouldn't forget what happened in london olympics..

8. Lucan

Lucan Regular Member

Whew. What a mess.

It’s not about him handling the ‘downfall’. It’s because few hours before that interview was released there was article and Herry IP’s interview that were written in a way that put Kevin in the bad light. This seems to be a rushed and emotional interview as a respond, which didn’t help the situation.

This is a thing that I don’t want. A situation in which Kevin coaxed to given an interview about personal problems. He’s blunt and not good with words, which only fuel the fire more.

- - - - - -

OK. The most recent trigger of Herry-Kevin problem (they seem to have so many personal problems for years but managed to keep it down from the media) was from the Indonesia Open 2022.

We already knew that Marcus got a leg surgery, yet to be recovered and still in pain but he wanted to play, so Kevin played with him. They lost both in INA Master and INA Open, and in INA Open Kevin seemed off. Minions were bullied and vilified, some INA fans perceived that Kevin was in a bad mood with bad attitude, so tons of hatred aimed at him.

Enter ‘R’, a journalist from reputable media (he did things that irked me before, but oh well). Herry IP was interviewed and mentioned about critics to Kevin’s attitude. ‘R’ wrote an article that basically said that Herry told that Kevin was disappointed with Marcus’ condition because it was out of his expectation. Of course it spread like a wildfire and hatred, bullying towards Kevin intensified, to the point that people attack his personal life and people who are close to him, including his fiancée and would be in-laws’ family.

Later, a longer interview with Herry IP was released and that statement wasn’t a fact, but a mere assumption by Herry. Related to ‘the attitude’, Herry also said that ‘maybe that was because Kevin was disappointed to himself, who knows’. So he didn’t even know and just speculated. But off course this version of interview didn’t spread because many INA people LOVE scandals. There was a Yonex exhibition event happened after those INA tourneys and a candid footage of Kevin wincing in pain and struggled to get up after kneeling for a group photo was surfaced, but didn’t gain any traction within INA badminton fans.

So, after that, especially after his engagement with his GF and loss in both BWC and JO, people threw hatred to him again and said that he was in a bad mood with bad attitude, didn’t intended to play at all (again).

Kevin stayed silent and weeks later, Marcus clarified that Kevin got dengue hemorrhagic fever before BWC and only managed to trained for 3 days. But many didn’t care. Kevin is the bad guy, lost because of his attitude. People noticed that in BWC and JO, Herry didn’t accompany the Minions at all, so rumors about their relationship went wild.

I noticed that after his romantic relationship with a CEO from a prominent INA wealthy tycoon family made public, Kevin gets even more haters. Seriously, so many salty comments emerged. Many would bring up his relationship, his would-be in-laws’ wealth and status, made it as if those things pampered him. Many told him to retire. ‘Poor Marcus had to put up with him’, etc.

(TBH for me, while Kevin is a moody player, he definitely appeared off in those 4 tournaments, but he didn’t seem angry at Marcus. Unlike AE 2019 and WTF 2019.)

Yesterday, the same journalist made twitter posts in a way of hyping badminton fans about some news and their assumptions over certain stuff are correct, so of course it got a big reaction.

Later, he posted an article with Herry’s POV and unnamed sources about that. They were written in a way that made Kevin looked bad again, and seemingly all is on him. That Herry-Kevin relationship cracked, Kevin skips training in Pelatnas and that Kevin was angry that Herry criticized his body language and attitude during the IO. Later from the same media (different journalist), Herry clarified that Kevin is still training in Pelatnas.

Sh-tstorm to Kevin happened again and hours later he responded in that CNN interview. Kevin said that he actually still trained in Pelatnas, but under Rionny Mainaky. He admitted that his relationship with Coach Herry IP is in a very bad condition. What actually happened in IO, he said that both him and Marcus were exhausted and weren’t in a good condition, he himself wasn’t fit and he could ended up injured himself if he keep forcing so he chose to be realistic (I think this is what perceived by INA fans that he was in a bad mood, didn’t intended to play, etc).

And he was pissed that Herry told things to the media about the IO without discussing the matter with him and Marcus prior. Herry also said that he already told Kevin about it before the interview but Kevin said that it never happened and Herry was lying. He thinks that netizens keep bring up the IO although he didn’t do remotely similar in the BWC and JO. He also said that he endured and keep silent about many bad things Herry has had done and he gives some examples in 2015-2016. Doesn't want to train under Coach Herry anymore. He feels bad and doesn’t want to ruin it for everybody else and PBSI, so if PBSI’s decision is for him to go, then he’s ready.

Of course Kevin told this in aloof manner and INA badminton fans more focused in irrelevant stuff, like Kevin wasn’t polite enough to his elder in the interview etc. They also credited big things in Herry’s name but actually factually wrong (credited him for INA MD OG 2008, pairing up several pairs that actually paired by other coaches, etc). Former Pelatnas coach Chafidz Yusuf and Naf (a former PBSI journalist), and several former national MD players seemed to be in favour of Kevin, in which also created more speculations. I think bar Coach Chafidz (who was very calm), they shouldn't have said anything that could turn up the heat.

Honestly, Coach Herry, Kevin, PBSI, some journalists & media outlets, and many many INA badminton fans, are all share faults and responsibilities.

It originally should and could be internal problem only but both Herry and Kevin, fueled with media made it harder to resolve. No player nor coach bigger than the national association. But this stuff already happen for so long with player already communicated with PBSI personnel but they let it to the point of explosion like this.

Kevin, I really really like him but he indeed an emotional person. I do get that he's tired being punching bag for so long but that CNN interview is a bad move. Coach Herry? I don’t glorify him like many INA fans but I do respect him. Some stuff revealed did sour my opinion of him BUT I already aware of his problems with players and his stuff in training before. Hopefully it would end up good for both of them, somehow.

- - - - - - -

CNN released an excerpt of the interview with Kevin and he actually sounds really chill and calm, unlike what people (me included) expected.

#6488 Lucan, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    visor and Hbmao like this.
  9. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

I don’t think this needs to be blown up. Players clash with coaches all the time. Kevin was just being candid about his feeling. It’s a sad situation and I hope him and the coach, both legends in the sport, find a viable path forward and remain successful.

Cheung and Lucan like this.
  10. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

Same tbh, I also respect him but the way people talk about him you would think he's Li Yong Bo or something, which is far from it LOL. he failed to deliver a medal the last 3 olympics let alone a gold medal. Indonesia still doing well in big event these last 10 years mostly because of hendra greatness anyway.

Lucan likes this.
  11. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Nobody seems to be talking about this, but I really found it interesting that (Kevin claimed that) Herry IP prefers tall players… I and many people from the outside have always assumed that Herry IP’s magic revolves something unique from INA players, and you would think height would not play a role in it.

12. sen

sen Regular Member

Yeah, I don't get the social media fan and some media infatuation with the "fire dragon" coach. To me there are many good coaches and everyone has their own contribution and different perspectives

But to many of those "fans", they don't know even other coaches name, let alone their big contributions

Lucan likes this.
  13. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    that was a different situation entirely. in london players were tanking for an easier match in the knockout round. herry, allegedly, was telling his players to lose to an inferior teammate.

would you tank against an inferior teammate?

yeah yeah yeah, china used to do it a lot. but, team indonesia is not the cultural equivalent of team china.

14. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Is it a forgone conclusion then that Minions will go independent?

15. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Doesnt like how this is handled. It usually happened when player already retired and not around the time when you are WR1 , despite how bad the form (slipping ranks) or circumstances are.

If any, its HerryIP that gives him the opportunity to shine. He was 20 years old why was he talking like he was already superstar at that time. You basically dont talk crap with someone much older than you after achieving so much. Why cant the coach look down on you? And maybe the way he said is blatant. I doubt HerryIP is looking down on LeoDaniel for example. Everyone is still looking down on CL because he cant achieve what LD achieved.

#6495 Yoji, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  16. sen

sen Regular Member

In the context of qualifying period of Olympic at that time, only Hendra/Ahsan sure to qualify and both Angga/Ricky and minions are in top 16 but not in top 8, but Angga/Ricky is ahead in ranking so I don't think it is inferior. Probably he wants to push them to top 8 but of course in the end both of the pairs did not end up in top 8. Minions at that time just playing together in the first year. After the Olympics, then minions start winning tournaments

Also, there are some pairs below their ranking who qualify because the rule is only max 2 per country and both have to be in top 8. Ko/Shin did not qualify too despite being in top 8 because they are 3rd rank after Lee/Jung and Kim/Kim

17. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

hehe several bad things about herry ip finally has come to light - not all but it's a start

PBSI so crap they let go the good coach but keep the rotten coach

18. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

kevin should just train separately imo, china used to do it with lin dan right ? let kevin train with aryono, maybe they should bring the old system back

19. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

yes well in the short term they would most probably decide minions to be under aryono & herry still the head coach for MD but won't touch minions

20. indrg

indrg Regular Member

good coaches like ? Mulyo Handoyo, Hendry Saputra, who else?