Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yes I was referring to my right elbow. And although I see that my left arm plays a large role, it seems like the issue that everyone is calling me out on is my right arm. I think for me it would be too hard to work on my the right elbow and the left arm at the same time . But maybe I can! Or maybe by me driving with my right elbow it will fix some of the left arm issue

2. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I completely agree here ! In the rare cases that I intentionally aim my shots away from the opponents we normally win those rallies

Ballschubser likes this.
  3. Mason

Mason Regular Member

This is good stuff
    So I feel like I’m practice I am able to this correctly. How does this look ?

4. Mason

Mason Regular Member

5. Signature

Signature Regular Member

6. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

The racket is still not rotated to the correct grip. Compare how you hold the racket with online guides, and compare the angle of your racket face in preparation of your shot with the angle of the racket face of the pros, or online guides in preparation of their shot. You will quickly recognize the difference, and it will help you analyze your own footage better.

But don't try to emulate the racket angle. It is simply the result of using the correct grip. So, if you play with the correct grip, it will automatically change the angle. It is simply an easier way to spot if you use the correct grip without looking at your hand. Focus on using the correct grip, and look in your recordings at the racket face angle as a feedback mechanism.

I'm not a coach. I'm just a player that knows from being taught by coaches. So I'm reluctant to give more in depth advice, but I don't think it is needed. Just know what the correct grip is, and make yourself use it, one way or the other. Everything else should fall into place.

Mason likes this.
  7. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok I can see that my grip is rotated towards panhandle now ….I just thought that slight rotation towards panhandle is normal

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Perhaps you can try starting the stroke non panhandle and as the racquet face hits the shuttle, it ends up slightly panhandle. You need to use your fingers to do this.

From your latest video, you have a lot of the basic technique. However, there the fine tuning with the grip that’s needed and better use of finger technique

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Left arm moves before the right arm in the stroke though.

10. Mason

Mason Regular Member

So my grip should change and should end more panhandle after I strike the shuttle ?

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Aim to end the stroke only slightly panhandle. The main thing is use the fingers to achieve this and also tighten the fingers at point of striking the shuttle.

You should aim to generate power using the fingers without such a big body and upper arm movement.

#1331 Cheung, Sep 22, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    Mason likes this.
  12. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok that makes sense

13. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Any progress here ?

14. visor

visor Regular Member

We want to see your hand taped to the racket handle in neutral grip!

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

15. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I’m not sure I even know what a neutral grip is :(

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

There are two strokes at 2.16 and 2.18. Slow it down to 0.25x

2.16 is good. Good pronation just before you hit the shuttle.

2.18 you open up the racquet face too early. You were doing a power shot.

The others I found it hard to see. Try filming in 50/60fps directly from the back of the court.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I never tried this as a training aid. Do you just tape it for a few sessions? What are the drawbacks?

18. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok thank you. This is very helpful to me because I definitely see the difference here between these two shots. I see that I open up the racket earlier on the 2:18 shot.

So for the 2:16 stroke , I definitely wasn’t trying to swing correctly I just was hitting around.like I wasn’t thinking “ ok in need to pronate”…. So i need to figure out why I was able to make that stroke the correct way at the 2:16 mark and then try to copy that again and again

Cheung likes this.
  19. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok I can film from behind the court and all my videos are 60lbs

I think on almost all of my overhead shots I am hitting tje shuttle slightly too late , am I correct I’m that assumption ?

20. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

You would tape it for training sessions and only hit forehand shots the entire time, with the vast majority being overhead shots, clears drops smashes, only playing frontcourt forehand shots to pull the player forward to practice backwards footwork in combination with using the correct grip. You would have the player do this until the overhead shots are natural to the player, sometimes for multiple sessions and they keep the correct grip without the tape. Preferably without any other non-taped training sessions or club nights in between.

It's pretty unusual and extreme, but extreme measures are necessary to kill the bad habits.

Maybe I'm a pessimist, but when I see a player playing with a panhandle, whether it's a full or even a half panhandle grip, I tend to have no hope whatsoever that they will ever correct it. Grip is learnt before everything else, whether consciously or not, so everything is entwined with grip. If grip is wrong, it takes an almost insurmountable effort of the player and coach to correct it, since every part of what they've learned is trying to keep the wrong grip. Hence why taping it in the right grip is a way to break free from those subconscious habits by making it physically impossible to revert to the wrong grip.

The main drawback is that you can't switch to different grips during the session, but if grip isn't right, correcting it is usually the highest priority. It can also be a bit of a blow to the ego. Having to accept that your own mind/body doesn't listen to you, and that external measures are necessary. Definitely a funny sight in the sports hall, so it takes some personal/social courage to implement it. The device @Mason posted could be a less conspicuous compromise, but I would be a bit worried that it allows the player to simply use the wrong grip over it anyway, or force the device to rotate over the handle.

#1340 SnowWhite, Sep 25, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    Cheung, Simeon, Mason and 1 other person like this.