Shi Yuqi ( 石宇奇 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Caffrey, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Victor68

Victor68 Regular Member

A talented player but poor discipline. He must remember there are many as talented players just in china alone.

2. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

The drawing result more or less could describe how far he will go there, he's unseeded player and no impossible scenario to meet heavyweight opponent like Axelsen in very first round.

Well, Shi YQ had missed World Championships twice : Basel 2019 (severe injury) and Huelva 2021 (domestic ban), this is third time for him - after Glasgow 2017 (last sixteen) and Nanjing 2018 (silver medalist) - to take part one of badminton most prestigious events.

Cheung likes this.
  3. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I really like to see all.players perform. Hope he can make it. Not easy. His win against momota was epic. ;)

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    His one chance. Do well or show fighting spirit even when losing, and he has a chance of being rehabilitated into China team.

5. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

How do u guys think he did in the world championships? Looks like CBA has completely forgiven him and are trying to raise his ranking back up asap hence besides japan open, he is also playing in super 100 vietnam open ( he is probably expected to win?)

6. Jaykoh8

Jaykoh8 Regular Member

Let't see how he fare against Viktor if they meet in second round of Japan Open.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Vietnam is a very small tournament. Looking at the calendar, there are actually very few opportunities to collect points. Macau still has very strict entry requirements due to covid. I expect Macau not to happen.

For HK I think the tournament will go ahead and like Taiwan, players decide whether they can tolerate the quarantine. I would expect SYQ to attend if allowed as he can cross the border back into China more easily.

One logistic difficulty for SYQ is the China team is based in ChiangMai and he’s not part of the the team. Unless there is new information, I don’t think he is part of their training camp and therefore needs alternatives to train.

8. Justafan90

If he is officially back in the National team, won’t they move him to chiang mai as well? He would need zjp, lgz etc as sparring partners even if he is obviously better than them to stay competitive.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Firstly, are you sure he’s officially back in the national team?

Secondly, we don’t know how long the Chiang Mai camp is lasting for. The news report previously only mentioned it lasting up to the World Championships.

10. Justafan90

If he’s not, then there really isn’t any point of staying with the team. Even if he is back, once the rankings are unfrozen, how is he going to qualify to play in 500 and above events? Have you heard anything about the chiang mai training? Is he gonna go on post world championship? Nothing really changed right, travel restrictions are still a problem of the move the base back to china

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

LOL, if I had heard what is the plan about Chiang Mai, I would not have previously written that we don’t know what’s happening.

Important dates for China team:

Macau and HK Open have been cancelled. Usually China team would support these two events. Malaysian Open is in January. Chinese New Year is in January next year.

One can speculate China team will return home soon. Alternatively, they might play Denmark and French Open before returning to China.

SYQ desperately needs to do well in this Japan Open for the qualifying points. If allowed, I think he can play Denmark, French and Hylo Opens.

*edit He’s just reached SF of Japan Open

#451 Cheung, Sep 1, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    nokh88 likes this.
  12. CLEAN

CLEAN Regular Member

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

So far based on my observations of Shi Yuqi's performance these two weeks, in particular, last week's loss to Ginting and today's defeat to Chou TC , where on both occasions the way he suddenly collapsed in the decider - it's an indication if anything that he is still not out of the woods yet in his comeback after a near one year break from international tournaments.

To sum up, I intuit that his psychological issue is not over yet, still rather problematic, exhibiting negative body language when the going gets tough. Otoh, I admit his skills are still there, unequivocally, as he displayed glimpses of his former self.

I believe, as long as he's not giving up, with CBA's rich resources, specifically appointing Sun Jun to mentor him personally full-time, there's a high probability of his making a successful comeback , sooner than you think.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Practically speaking, Shi Yuqi has to play a few more tournaments in the months ahead to regain his competitive edge and winning ways.

15. Justafan90

This was why I felt his ban was too long, its like CBA did this to themselves, it affected his performance and world rankings so badly. Its not like they really had anyone better ready to replace him.

#455 Justafan90, Sep 3, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  16. viver

viver Regular Member

Rules are rules and should be applied the same to everyone. I can't comment if his punishment was too harsh because I don't really know the full story behind his retirement from the match. I don't think it's right for the management to treat players with disciplinary issues differently just because of their status in the team. It would make managing the entire team a nightmare.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I think it’s very premature to say ‘psychological’ problems are the cause of his poor third game performance. He’s only just started playing international tournaments again. Even Momota lost in his first couple of tournaments when coming back from his ban.

Being mentally or physically tired can cause a player to lose. SYQ lacks match fitness on the international stage. He’s not used to three tough games. CTC’s game plan is to wear down the opponent.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Right, I should clarify that it's both a psychological issue, he's not over it yet, as well as rustiness for lack of top-level competition during his 10-month hiatus when he was relegated to the Jiangsu provincial team where there aren't any world-class sparring partners to train with despite having the legendary Sun Jun as his coach and mentor.

That's why I also pointed out he really needs to take part in a few more international tourneys over the next couple of months to help him regain his competitive edge as quickly as possible.

As for his psychological issue, his sudden reversal of fortune, I mean form, in the way he lost the 3rd set to Anthony Ginting and Chou Tien Chen is, to me, an unmistakable sign of that problem , compounded by his less than optimal physical condition owing to his long layoff. Just look at how he bested Toby Penty, Rasmus Gemke, Kantaphon Wancharoen, without any noticeable lack of physical fitness or stamina. That's just my opinion.

Well, where there's a will there's a way. It's all up to him now, CBA has been giving him all the support and Sun Jun personally standing by him, showing care and concern like a fatherly figure, in addition to imparting his skills and sharing his knowledge and experience with him; such a rare good fortune and privilege, he ought to cherish and be grateful for by giving his all.

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Except that they are not BWF rules as SYQ didn't violate any, it's CBA's self-imposed punishment on him. Nearly a year's ban is a bit too harsh, in my opinion.

However, all that is now just water under the bridge, we can only hope it has a largely positive and beneficial impact on his growth, development and maturity in his career and life in general.

Woesi and viver like this.
  20. viver

viver Regular Member

I was referring to the CBA punishment. The punishment maybe hard (or not), I don't know exactly what happened between the player and the coach, the extent of his injury and other background stories that led to it.

In the past, my coach also mentioned some players disruptive behaviors during training sessions. Some players would bet (money involved) against each other during training matches which caused problems with the ones that wanted to train normally. There were times that a Chinese player(s) absence was noticed, and then we learn from the coaches some occurrences regarding the internal handling of the players, sometimes due to injuries and sometimes due to other issues. And in those days, these news were normally never shared with the public.