2022 Daihatsu Yonex Japan Open

Discussion in '2022 Tournaments' started by vozer here, Aug 26, 2022.

1. justiceforlcy

justiceforlcy Regular Member

You could say this is the best tournament Nishimoto has ever played his entire career

terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  2. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

Habit from training and club matches most likely.

nokh88 likes this.
  3. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Kims are playing like the Daddies.
    Effortless.

4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Many errors from Kim, the Dane.

5. Hassefar60

Would any of you elaborate? I watched the entire match and it sounds like you watched a different match than I did. From my point of view it was Nishimoto using every trick in the book.

I assume you are not referring to the point where Nishimoto clearly touched the net but didn't get faulted?
    I assume you are not referring to the countless times Nishimoto served right as AA looked up when you in reality are not ready yet (been there myself.. not fun). You can say it is within the rules but it is definitely from the "trick" section.

I get it some of you are not a fan of AA, fair enough. But I think you are overreacting here. For the most part, this was a well played match. And a close one.

6. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Agree. AA a nice bloke and both players played decently.
    Pity he lost.
    I think he can offer a better challenge to CTC than Nishimoto.

7. Kwarevo

Kwarevo Regular Member

What a nice game to close the day

8. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Antonsens new haircut looks cool

9. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Without much hair on the sides, he should wear a headband for his sweat.

10. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Nishimoto played very well in this tournament , maybe his career best. The quality of players he has beaten in this tournament speaks his work . Some spirit entered his body all of a sudden?

terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  11. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Maybe, he red my comment ^-^ !just for laughs!

The man who was beside him, who was his physical trainer, helped him a lot.

And today, he wore orange T shirt, remind "the man that you know".

20.jpg

12. DinB

DinB Regular Member

Aren't you suppose to put your hands up if you are not ready? I don't know. Just saw a video summary of the situation here and I do find it pretty strange:

Anks likes this.
  13. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

I agree that this can be trick.

But Antonsen also did something like that when facing to Momota in Indonesia Master 2019.

The match went by, let it go.

Anks likes this.
  14. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

FINAL => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/tournament/29025589-10ca-4357-9066-0a52021f14f6/matches/20220904

upload_2022-9-3_19-28-41.png

What a day of upset, disastrous semifinal result for China camp where all their marquee names tumbled and almost there were none...
    Engaging men's singles match, contains turnaround and plot twisted that the veteran Chou TC overcame Shi YQ, thanks to his tactic, shot variety, well anticipation and most important element self belief, the Chinese had great start to take command in opener then fought hard to win straight games when he tried to close the gap. Unfortunately, his confidence seems faded away in mid deciding game, he missed shot that supposed to yield point at 13-11 position then his focus and momentum lapse and deteriorated quickly, never back until the completion. First ever final of BWF S750 tour for Nishimoto who rose to the occasion when Momota experiencing dark period in his career, the underdog Japanese defied all odds to create late surge surprise to seal opening game against high ranked Antonsen who made good comeback in second game but can’t execute well in crucial stages. The meeting stats favours to world number four but never say never to Nishimoto who beat the Taiwanese in last encounter nearly a year ago in Bali.

Chen YF nearly succeded to end the deadlock to beat reigning world champion in very tough match, her patience and mental fortitude finds arduous test when facing Yamaguchi. Home favourite demonstrated some the unreadable backhand defense that flat footed the Chinese several times. She had good opportunity in leading 14-9 of third game but as the top seed was far from surrender, total commitment to catch up and trying different quality shots to narrow the margin. Tai TY once again succumbed to careless game against the stable An SY, what a contradictive style of play, the Taiwanese maintains her disadvantage to keep relentless errors disrupt her rhythm.

Sensational shock by Korean back-ups Baek/Lee to topple three-time World Champions Chen/Jia who look quite tired and lack of combative attacking shots in decider, what a dearly mistake to produce service error at critical point, 19-19 as their younger opponent didn't waste chance to close out the match. Jeong NE/Kim HJ are another new prospect combination and should be watch out of their development on future years.

Watanabe/Higashino finally break Zheng/Huang winning streak, a rarity considering how formidable they are, but still beatable, the Japanese exploits some creative shots to rattle and halt World Champion attacking shots bombardment, home pair moved faster and more agile than the Chinese in some scenes with Watanabe disruptive drop shot to disguise direction. Earlier the Olympic Champions bowed out to Bass/Popor in two straight games, the Olympic Champions uninspiring form sustained as they only nailed S300 title thus far in this year.

Liang WK/Wang C salvage China total loss to book final spot, the fast furious youngsters win over Choi/Kim straightforwardly and facing the vast experienced Astrup.Rasmussen, the Danes outlast Kims who visibly fatigue in third game. A contrast outcome for 7th seed here as they were sent packing at first round last week in Tokyo. Interesting fact all of their opponents along this tournament are unseeded combination.

15. Hassefar60

No you are not supposed to put your hand up. You are supposed to be ready. There was a tournament not too long ago where they kept asking players to not raise their hands all the time.

Regarding the video:
    I agree, the two first times AA was ready. No excuse. But also not unprecedented.
    The third time (0:25) AA was not ready. KN served too early.
    The last one.. I don't know what to say really. Yes the left hand goes up a little (and before the racket) but not that much. I only saw it in slow motion.

No problem with the match or the match result, only the need for people to trash players. It happens quite often in these threads actually.

16. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Yes, all the time.
    Pardon me for asking but - where was the trashing/thrashing? That @Sumanth99 wrote AA would "face heat" for his behaviour or that @Rob3rt wrote that he was "using every trick in the book"? Maybe they just didn't like the way the guy acted and said so. How the hell is this a "trashing"?

You know actually does happen all the time? That people who get critized for what they say or do in public cry "cancel culture" or "trashed", when they receive criticism for their words or actions. Tiresome ****, mostly done by white men in priviledged positions. You don't have to agree with what @Sumanth99 said, but maybe you've got it a number smaller as far as the victim card is concerned. Unless some posts have been deleted, noboby was being "trashed".
    Somebody was critcized in two short sentences and you saw fit to feel offended on his behalf and blow that way out of proportion, because the guy being criticized happens to have the same nationality as you.

Sumanth99 likes this.
  17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I tend to agree with you on this one. The server is expected to pose for a split second (or longer but not too long, that's another issue), at least, with his racquet and shuttle held in position and notice the receiver holding his racquet ready and looking up at you, regardless whether he raises his other hand to indicate readiness or not(though I think it's a good practice to do so), before serving, and not instantly in one continuous motion without a pause.

I trust the BWF rule book should make that clear and the service judge enforce the rule appropriately and consistently.

As for players resorting to so-called "tricks" , as long as they are seen as within the rules as interpreted and implemented fairly and squarely by the umpires and judges, there should be no problems or controversies, otherwise, BWF would have to revise the rules accordingly; there should be no (or very little) room for subjectivity and/or loopholes to be exploited unfairly by anyone.

Lastly, I'm turned off by demeaning and unwarranted name-calling of players, esp when it smacks of hate and racism. I feel that we should cut the players some slack for their on court behaviour as long as what they do are not directed at their opponents, which the rules forbid by the way, and the umpire is there to see to it.

I mean, hardly do we see any players being openly antagonistic toward each other? Not that I know of, except for the rare one or two players who might not be on good terms but nowhere near what their respective fans are at loggerheads with each other.

Hassefar60 and LenaicM like this.
  18. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

That's expected but not specifically stated in the rules, right? Luckily most players do it, but some are walking in position to serve and suddenly raise their racket and instantly serve. That's incredibly annoying, cause you are used to get that extra split second to get ready mentally and expect the shot. Personally it throws me off even when I'm ready.

19. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    exactly, it's a quick-serve, and the server is not looking up causing the receiver to be caught by surprise. this is not explicitly against the rules because the rules do not state anything requiring the server to be at least looking at the receiver. ko sung-hyun (kor) used to serve like that all the time pre-pandemic.

it's bwf's fault. it's merely one of a thousand incomplete & ambiguously written rules in the laws of badminton: https://extranet.bwfbadminton.com/d...ion 4.1 Laws of Badminton - 23 May 2021 .pdf - see section 9.4... no mention of any requirements of the server's positioning or appearance of readiness. momentary eye-contact between the server & receiver should be required to remove any possibility of a quick-serve.

a lot of the wording for some rules are leftover from the 1950's.

incompetence @ bwf hq from top to bottom.

#399 samkool, Sep 3, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    Simeon, Dangho and Rob3rt like this.
  20. Hassefar60

I have a feeling that you might be missing out on stuff thanks to your ignore list..?

It was not so much the "face heat" part as the rest of the sentence: "face heat for the shhit he shat". No issue with Rob3rt's post. What triggered me was probably:
    "ANDERS ANTONSEN is the biggest fraud amongst all the SINGLES players Ive been seeing all this while"
    "Anders is a shame to Danish badminton".

Maybe you cannot see that post, I don't know (#ignore list)? You think trashing is too harsh a word? I am not a native speaker. What would you call the above statements? Criticism?

And nationality has nothing to do with my willingness to defend a player. I think the first player I defended here was Yamaguchi. But of course, nationality does have an effect on my willingness to read and participate in the discussion.
    The "blowing out of proportion" happened in my quotes above.