Badminton in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by gaDEfan, May 6, 2007.

1. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

I see something new in Momota's footstep (faster).

Let's see whether he can comeback to his form in Denmark 2021

evilster likes this.
  2. kurako

kurako Regular Member

3. terrynguyen121988

Naraoka will take part at all tour 300 or 500 this year.

p/s: I saw Naraoka on the bottom branch of Japan Open 2022

#2863 terrynguyen121988, Aug 9, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  4. Arisuin

Arisuin Regular Member

Question where you found the draw that includes Naraoka? Since he isn't on the list that kurako linked. I personally went through and checked it as well and didn't see Naraoka listed

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

5. Boblay

Boblay New Member

You’re right

6. kurako

kurako Regular Member

As of August 9, the NBA has revised its list of players for both the World Championships and the Japan Open. Although his name did not exist on either document before this amendment, Naraoka now features on both.

With regard to the Japan Open, a couple of withdrawals before BWF's announcement of version 4 of the M & Q (also August 9) meant that Naraoka was promoted from the reserve list into the main draw; hence, the revision.

7. terrynguyen121988

From Kelly Chen (manager of Tai Tzu Ying ???) on twitter. japan open.png

8. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Japan's domestic ranking tables were updated on August 12, and there were two surprises with respect to the MS category. 1) Naraoka has overtaken both Tsuneyama and Nishimoto, and is now placed second. 2) Team A player Watanabe Koki is in nose-dive mode; he is placed at No. 11. The top ten MS players, by the way, are as follows:

1. Momota Kento (Team A, NTT-East)
    2. Naraoka Kodai (Team A, IMG)
    3. Tsuneyama Kanta (Team A, Tonami)
    4. Nishimoto Kenta (Team A, JTEKT)
    5. Tanaka Yushi (Team B, NTT-East)
    6. Koga Minoru (Team B, NTT-East)
    7. Omoto Shota (Hitachi)
    8. Shimono Hashiru (Tonami)
    9. Onodera Yusuke (BIPROGY)
    10. Obayashi Takuma (Tonami)

Other national team players not found in the top ten are Hatano Riku (No. 16), Takahashi Koo (No. 12), and Moriguchi Koshiro (No. 19); all three are currently participating in the Mongolia International Challenge.

jyeung, Pcyl and Cheung like this.
  9. kurako

kurako Regular Member

The top ten of the WS category, incidentally, runs like this:

1. Yamaguchi Akane (Team A, Saishunkan)
    2. Okuhara Nozomi (Team A, Taiyo Holdings)
    3. Takahashi Sayaka (Team A, BIPROGY)
    4. Ohori Aya (Team A, Tonami)
    5. Kawakami Saena (Team B, Hokuto Bank)
    6. Takahashi Asuka (Team A, Yonex)
    7. Mizui Hirari (Team B, NTT-East)
    8. Nidaira Natsuki (Team B, Tonami)
    9. Gunji Riko (Team B, Saishunkan)
    10. Oie Natsuki (Team B, NTT-East)

Here, true to form, all national team players rank in.

Pcyl likes this.
  10. terrynguyen121988

Surprised! Ohori was still the fourth choice and still in team A.

By these years over! She should have proved something in tournament, but she didn't

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    She must still proving something to the selection committee. Hope she produces something - some players get a golden period later in their career.

12. yuon

yuon Regular Member

Not only Watanabe Koki, but Takahashi Asuka is also dropping fast in ranking. Kawakami and Nidaira have both surpassed her in the international ranking, and with the ranking points gradually unfreezing, she will only drop further. @kurako, any idea why she did not participate in the recent Super 500 and and 300 tournaments where Ohori and the others played in? Those were some precious points that she could have used.

As for Ohori, she's in very real danger of dropping out of the top 32. Her high ranking is heavily reliant on old points from 2019. Looking at the draw for the up coming two tournaments, she will (probably) not get past R32 with ASY in her way. She won't qualify for future Team A tournaments at this rate even though she had finally gotten herself promoted back into the team. The 4th Team A spot is looking very open at the moment.

ants and Cheung like this.
  13. yuon

yuon Regular Member

I am looking forward to a very possible match-up between Naraoka and Vitidsarn at R32 of the World Championship. Vitidsarn will need to get past Tommy Sugiarto first, but it should be doable for him. Hopefully, it will be on a TV court with Gill and Steen, or at least Steen, doing the commentary. I'm curious as to how he would analyze their match. Vitidsarn had solidly carved out a place for himself at the senior level, but Naraoka had shown great improvements in the last two tournaments. Their h2h are 3-3, so Naraoka does have a chance. Regardless of who will win, hopefully we'll be treated to a good match!

Pcyl and justiceforlcy like this.
  14. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I'm not sure. In June, she played for Yonex in the All Japan Business Corporation Championships, which Yonex won for the first time in twenty years. But, as a Team A player, she should probably not have been there.

She was withdrawn form the Malaysia Masters (held at the beginning of July) as early as late May, and the Singapore Open and Taipei Open in mid-June. The fact that Takahashi played in the All Japan Business Corporation Championships around the time of her withdrawal, however, probably means that she is not suffering from a serious injury.

Pcyl likes this.
  15. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

Her heart is with Yonex. Her heart is not with National team. She has hesitancy to give her best for national team. Not all players like to put up with the stress of playing on national level nor have the ambition to aim for the highest.

I like Kiyotake soccer player for Cereso Osaka. But whenever he gets called to play for national team, he always gets injured. Then next day, I see him happily playing for Cereso Osaka.

Asuka Takahashi, maybe one day when her mind changes.

Sent from my XQ-BT52 using Tapatalk

16. yuon

yuon Regular Member

Strange things have been happening within the Yonex team lately. Last year it was Takahata Yukiko's retirement. Now it's the reshuffling of their Team B double pairs Miyaura/Hobara/Sakuramoto, and what's looking like Takahashi withdrawing herself from the Team A race. It's getting crowded at the entrance into Team A, and Gunji is coming up fast from behind. It will be hard for her to get another chance. Personally, I'm rooting for the youngster. Might as well put my money on the one with the most time on her side. :p

@Pcyl, Takahashi would be happy to know she has such unwavering support from you. :)

Pcyl likes this.
  17. kurako

kurako Regular Member

And back to the Monnis Mongolia International Challenge...

MS Quarterfinalists: Obayashi Takuma, Koga Minoru, Hatano Riku, Minegishi Hikaru
    Thus far eliminated: Omoto Shota, Takahashi Koo, Tanaka Yushi, Moriguchi Koshiro

WS Quarterfinalists: Gunji Riko
    Thus far eliminated: Oie Natsuki (WDN), Mizui Hirari

MD Quarterfinalists: Shimogami/Nomura, Endo/Takei, Inoue/Mitsuhashi, Tamate/Takano
    Thus far eliminated: Mezaki/Nishida (WDN)

WD Quarterfinalists: Kato/Hirokami
    Thus far eliminated: -

XD Quarterfinalists: Nihei/Asakura
    Thus far eliminated: Yamada/Ikeuchi (WDN)

Gunji is finally set to break into the top 100.

Pcyl likes this.
  18. kurako

kurako Regular Member

A relatively bad day for Team B in Mongolia. The following players remain in the fray:

MS Semifinalists: Hatano Riku
    Eliminated at the QF stage: Obayashi Takuma, Koga Minoru, Minegishi Hikaru

WS Semifinalists: -
    Eliminated at the QF stage: Gunji Riko

MD Semifinalists: Endo/Takei, Inoue/Mitsuhashi,
    Eliminated at the QF stage: Shimogami/Nomura, Tamate/Takano

WD Semifinalists: -
    Eliminated at the QF stage: Kato/Hirokami

XD Semifinalists: Nihei/Asakura
    Eliminated at the QF stage: -

Pcyl likes this.
  19. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I have never seen this happen before, but all five categories of the Mongolia IC finals are 'same country' matches! As Hatano Riku and Nihei/Asakura were narrowly defeated in yesterday's SF, Japan will represented in the men's doubles by Takei/Endo (Meiji U) vs Inoue/Mitsuhashi (BIPROGY).

dbolf likes this.
  20. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I sometimes find myself drawn to Tago's YouTube channel; he gives insights into various NBA blunders. Today was one of those days.

As we all know, the Japan Open kicks off tomorrow, and I was expecting Midorikawa/Saito (XD) to feature. Judging by their BWF ranking, they would have been hovering on the border between the main draw and reserve list and, needless to say, as B Teamers, desperately want more high grade international tournament experience, not to mention the points.

What does the NBA do? It erroneously enters the players' information for the tournament, so, instead of Midorikawa Hiroki/Saito Natsu, we get Midorikawa Hiroki/Saito Shiori (Natsu's older sister who happens to be a singles player). The pair languished at reserve no. 16, until they were summarily withdrawn.
    upload_2022-8-29_23-13-59.png
    What a wasted opportunity for Midorikawa, who really is promising. I wonder how the NBA consoled the pair?