Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

He binjiao has to minimize unforced errors. She give lot of free points to opponents by hitting wide or into the net.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Han Yue is improving incrementally but still got to work on her accuracy and consistency, and learn to serve low better if she wants to avoid serving high to tall attacking players.

But I do admire her hard-working and never-say-die attitude. Keep going and she might just make a breakthrough one day soon. The way she pushed Sindhu all the way, down to the wire is heartening to see. JiaYou !

3. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

He binjiao can win many tournaments if she can minimize unforced errors which she make more than scoring points.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That's exactly He Bingjiao's stumbling block. In fact, her occasional inconsistency and proneness to error once too often is costly, hindering her from reaching the pinnacle.

5. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    The final in the Singapore Open was a very good match. KN is a very patient player and makes his opponent earn every point painfully. ASG is the classic Indonesian Ms of old. Classy and talented. He is clearly in command of the match. But he had to dig deep to overcome the gritty KN.
    China's juniors should see ASG's attacking game as well as the hold and flick. Why has the talent to play a similar game. He needs to read his opponents game and be early to the shuttle so he can hold and place the shot. He also needs to smash for the lines and with deception. KN could read his shots which made him frustrated. My humble observations..

#4045 antssantss, Jul 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  6. viver

viver Regular Member

I believe China has a very good development program for badminton. It has its philosophy or characteristics and also excellent previous players that they can emulate. Every player has their own individual strengths and should work towards it. The coaches are particularly important as they are the ones to provide guidance and motivation for the players to achieve the results. If I have to have the Chinese players to study a player, I would suggest Yang Yang - how he moves the opponents around before the finishing attack, the defence and counter-attacks. Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei would also be excellent examples, Zhao Jianhua may not be for everybody since he was so athletic. Just my opinion from my limited knowledge in badminton.

antssantss and xzavire like this.
  7. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Did a 2-day training camp a few years ago with a former top French player. He asked me to play a match against a younger player and I lost really badly. This former player then asked me to analyze my own match and I concluded I did too many unforced errors. His answer: "the national coach once told me there are no unforced errors. If you lose points because of those, it is because somehow your opponent played in a way that forced you doing those".

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I beg to disagree with that former player of yours , I think he is confused between forced and unforced errors - the former is when your opponent played so well or when you're off-form that you are forced into those errors, the latter is when you're under no pressure and, under normal circumstances, should not make those simple errors unless you're an amateur or casual player or just a badminton enthusiast indulging in a spare-time sport; in that case, train harder, for practice makes perfect, the same goes for professionals. In other words, being outplayed and gifting points are not the same thing, in my opinion.

In He Bingjiao's case, in the two matches concerned, say, the one she lost to Sindhu at the MAS Masters, her unforced errors with so many uncharacteristic errors, started from the get-go in G1, then she woke up, stepped up her game in the second set to equalize , and then it's back to an error-filled 3rd set most of the way. It's frustrating, even galling to watch, the more so when you recall how, in their previous encounter at the INA Open, HBJ actually put Sindhu in her place with a masterful performance to impose a two-set emphatic victory against her. It's like watching two different HBJs against the same opponent in two consecutive matches within a month, almost unrecognisable.

I mean, you can win and lose alternately against the same opponent, quite normal unless the gap in standard is wide, a class apart. But the way you play should not vary widely, not to say wildly, from tournament to tournament , certainly not for a top 20 professional athlete, an experienced one to boot (barring some injury, indisposition, or, perhaps, personal issue, none that we know of lately).

To sum up, her degree of inconsistency and proneness to error is an impediment to success at the very top. For those who have been following her career, it appears to be a repeat cycle of what had happened before years ago where she shone briefly for a while with successive brilliant victories over several top players of the day only to suddenly fall off the radar, and it's showing signs of that threatening to happen again this time, I'm afraid.

Lastly, lest we forget, HBJ's fitness, specifically stamina issue used to be a major concern a couple years back. That problem seemed addressed the last one, two years which is why I'm quite concerned with her lack of consistency and proneness to error emerging as a stumbling block to further progress in her mid-career stage at the age of 25.

So much so, for her to win anything big, particularly the majors, I believe all the stars have to be aligned for her to succeed, even just once.

Woesi likes this.
  9. lurker

lurker Regular Member

if you service error,
    oh yea... your opponent made you do that!

well played opponent!!

10. viver

viver Regular Member

That's a very interesting remark. I am very curious, were you given further details with regards to this remark.

11. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

@Justin L @lurker @viver He knows exactly the difference, he reached top 150. And his coach was part of the national team. What he meant was that whatever unforced errors one player can make on a given day, the opponent is somehow responsible for it. In my case, I missed many smashes during this match (net, out) and my clears were off (out). That former top player tried to explain to me that the other player probably saw that I was off at the back of the court at the beginning of the match and exploited that by feeding me more shuttles at the back of the court to frustate me. And after a few points, when I was showing frustration when missing simple shots I usually get right, he suggested that my opponent actually exploited this mental weakness of mine, somehow, by delaying the game, with his atittude on court (I remember he was clearly showing his fist up with a small but clear shouting on all my silly errors which annoyed me even more)

I do not think that this former player meant players can never really do unforced errors as we all have complete off-days but he meant that when it is repetitive, may be it is because the opponent saw through our weakness of the day and is exploiting it, somehow, and we could not adapt or vary the game to change the tide. That's what I took from this lesson anyway.

That being said HBJ is probably very inconsistent and it is a whole different level but may be her opponents know it and know what kind of tactics can trigger her inconsistency and unforced errors.

Cheung and visor like this.
  12. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Is it true that ShiYuqi would be in the world championship but chen long isn’t? Thats weird it it’s true

13. CLEAN

CLEAN Regular Member

Both Chen Long and Shi Yuqi had initially been invited. Chen Long's invitation was accepted; but, because Shi Yuqi was under suspension, his invitation was rejected.

However, Chen Long has now decided not to go. (Perhaps, he is considering retirement -- he has 2 World Championships and no Asian Games title. With the postponement of the Asian Games, he might now consider it beyond his reach; he is, after all, an ageing veteran.)

Along with that, the Chinese Badminton Association has had a change of heart and has now arranged for Shi Yuqi to go instead. Auto-translation from https://weibo.com/u/7351765246?is_all=1:--

'Chinese badminton team
    19 hours ago
    From iPhone 13 Pro Max
    edited
    #SHI Yuqi is determined to participate in the Badminton World Championships in August #石宇奇超话 @石宇奇_
    The 2022 World Badminton Championships will be held in Japan from August 22 to August 28 this year. Recently, the Chinese Badminton Association received a list of invitations from the World Badminton Federation, including the men's singles player Shi Yuqi. After a comprehensive evaluation by the Chinese Badminton Association and the National Badminton Team, it was decided to accept the invitation of the BWF and agreed to Shi Yuqi's participation in the Japan Badminton World Championships.'

Justin L and Cheung like this.
  14. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

From DECLINED to YES, quite sparks big question for Shi YQ case according to this BWF regulation (clause 3.2.20) :

upload_2022-7-20_17-51-17.png

15. lurker

lurker Regular Member

Me thinks is psychology playing a part here rather...helps you train your mental on the court to think differently
    also you are translating here to English from French (I assume) there may hv some little nuances lost

just a guess
    Thanks for sharing!

LenaicM likes this.
  16. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Totally about the mental thing. It think it was a way to approach off-days differently, trying to refocus on oneself instead of blaming bad luck or the lighting or the drift or anything else, and just not give up easily when doing numerous unforced errors.

Anyway it was just a different take regarding unforced errors. Did not mean to claim this former player is absolutely right or that it is a universal truth applying to HBJ. Only an interesting way to see things differently.

17. viver

viver Regular Member

Thank you for the explanation.
    I can see some truth in this, there are many examples from the past coming from the Chinese team. Ye Zhaoying (sorry, I live in the past :() a retired Chinese female singles player whom I considered the best player in her time, better (technically) than the famous Susan Susanti and Camilla Martin. But during the matches she had difficulty keeping the shots within the court area.

If we take out the mental part - which is required in my opinion, the execution of all the shots, how would you call when a player in a comfortable position, i.e. after forcing the opponent for a high lift to the mid-court and then the attacking player wait in position and smash into the net or out of the court? Would you consider this a unforced error on the attacker or the error was induced by the defender?

The mental aspect of the game is a very interesting one. A coach intimately related to the China National team did say that China has many players with top-notch skills but unable to produce in official matches. This was specially true with the doubles players, there were many that did excellent in training situations or internal matches, but not that well in international competitions. The coach acknowledged that the mental hurdle might be a very difficult one for these players to get over.

Cheung and Justin L like this.
  18. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Susy Susanti :)

The mental aspect definitely plays vital role in critical points.

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    perhaps CBA hadn’t actually formally sent the letter declining the invitation for Shi YQ. And therefore, the first letter received by BWF is acceptance?

20. viver

viver Regular Member

Susi Susanti - it happens when you have a "smart" keyboard. :)

Cheung likes this.