Singapore Open 2022

Discussion in '2022 Tournaments' started by sunscreen, Apr 18, 2022.

1. ong huigen

ong huigen Regular Member

You do not expect the champion of the previous tournament to do well in the current tournament.
    He probably just took part just because he has already registered.

2. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    Yeah FajRi,,, able to avenge their defeat to Liu/Ou this time,,, in straight two sets with a nice play of high-speed flat drive, full/half/slice smash, drop shot, placement...
    I'd suggest the slice-smash by Fajar Alfian is his signature move,,, because among other pro players that I watch, he's the one using it the most and into full effect: several times got them a point or (more often) de-stabilizing opponent defence, producing short lift to be finished by Rian. That's a nice way of playing!
    :)

Based on the SO draw, I think FajRi has the favourite to go all the way to the podium,,, but we'll see.

I notice that They really focus the attack on Ou (as well as in INA Open)...
    And about Liu, does he has a back problem? the way he walks doesn't look convincing.

wade likes this.
  3. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Live streams ?

4. wade

wade Regular Member

Fajar is truly hendra disciple, from the change of pace to the slice-smash (especially the cross one from the right side), all that shot are hendra repertoire. imo fajar is the best front court player in the world right now

badito likes this.
  5. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Intanon retired while Tai TY concedes walkover, looks like the inevitable accumulated fatigue starts to impact the top players, only three seeds remain in WS last sixteen, Sindhu, He BJ and Chochuwong as title contenders alongside recent Asian Champion Wang ZY. The left-hander He who scores back to back first round exit will take on Nehwal, how the Chinese could redeem MAS setback here, she almost slipped second game scheme in the 18-13 lead as the well-improved Chaiwan catching up slowly and took game point.

Both MS winner and runner-up of just concluded MAS Masters have been ousted early, Wardoyo can't keep winning momentum and control the pace against Canadian up-and-coming player Brian Yang who has good defense and court coverage to answer the Indonesian sharp smash. Chou TC involved in close contest to subdue Lu GZ, inadequacy of tactical awareness when his attacking and explosive shots didn't work well to earn point, similar storyline for Weng HY lost to Naraoka.

In mixed doubles, all seeded pairs safely through into second round, China regeneration in this department seems sluggish so far, the quality gap between the seniors Zheng/Huang,Wang/Huang combination and their successors Guo XW/Zhang SX also 2019 WJC Feng/Lin is extremely huge, lack of systematic training and international tournament exposure.

6. Kwarevo

Kwarevo Regular Member

All England Champions lose again in first round, today vs daddies.
    They won't have a change to play in bwf world tour finals if lose in first or second round every tournament

7. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

T.Linh Nguyen just lost to PVS but put up a very good fight with some nice shots :) Hopefully our girl can have more international exposures to gain experience.

8. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Christie and Naraoka are both such technical players; most of the points being decided around the net. ... And, as is always the case, Naraoka equals Antonsen when it comes to biding his time. It really can be frustrating to watch him. I don't think that I have ever seen him play a match that lasted less than an hour, and that includes straight game wins.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Just realised no corporate sponsorship for this tournament.

10. kurako

kurako Regular Member

A huge win for Naraoka. He is obviously doing something right.

Baddie lover and Simeon like this.
  11. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

It's a matter of time . When Loh wins singapore open, it will change dramatically.
    I would say it is better than Malaysia open on terms of quality and budget even when there is no sponsor.

12. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Wow, Cheuk Yiu must have misjudged the backline at least 10 times this match.

13. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Despite the very convincing scoreline, Ng Tze Yong looks quite average. It was more of Lee Cheuk Yiu self-destructing. NTY doesn't really have a killer weapon, but one strength I would say he has is that he makes relatively few unforced errors for his age. Good against very error-prone opponents like Lee Cheuk Yiu, but it is difficult to ever see him reach the same highs as more explosive players unless he adds more power and speed to his arsenal.

I think Wong Choong Hann is aware of this as he mentioned that bulking NTY up is in the programme.

All the best to him in the QF!

Cheung likes this.
  14. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Wow. Nty impressive win over lcy. Tmr vs ginting struggling vs tpe? Ctc out by prannoy again. Yeo jojo out. Lky vs tommy later.

15. cococo

cococo Regular Member

I think he's smart,I watched him play since his IS/IC days,he doesnt really need the muscles in my opinion because he does a lot of fancy shots that his opponent doesn't anticipate. But now playing at the higher level,his opponents are also better so maybe he needs the muscles now.

But I thought his mental strength wasn't good enough because he wasn't able to defeat top players last time though. But now he can. So maybe it's just trouble handling the pressure when he was coming up and he's getting better at it now.

Sent from my SM-A307GN using Tapatalk

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Ng Tze Yong is the perfect assassin - doesn’t look like a winner. Don’t be fooled by his looks.

17. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Ng TY has become a bogeyman for HKG MS

18. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

I’ve really wanted this for a long time. Hoping to see him rise the ranks and take the mantle alongwith KV and LS

kurako likes this.
  19. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

A good day for Indians. Saina, Prannoy, Arjun Dhruv beat higher ranked players. All 3 wins were impressive.

Sindhu had a hard time. 4 Players in quarters

20. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

MD standards have dropped. When Daddies were top in 2014, there were many young pretenders and as well as senior rivals who could dislodge them. Even a scratch pair like TBH-How could beat them. And they didint make it past quarters in OG 2016. Now in their twight light slower years , top MD still find trouble beating them.

Ng TY has good technics and skill. But lacked speed. He is often slow to reach the net to return a net shot with another net return. At 23 he still has room for improvement. Should break into semis and finals in one or two years if he work hard on his game. Compare LCW at 23 in 2005 and LCW at 25 - 26 in 2007 and 2008. Then another change after in speed after 2010 at 28. Ng TY could make it not dominant but a strong contender.

wade likes this.