Recommended tension & string for ZF2 4U

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Cloudx, Jun 3, 2022.

1. Cloudx

Cloudx Regular Member

Hi all, I've recently purchase a brand new Yonex ZF2. I've been wanting to tried it out for ages but can't find it previously around my area until recently. My main racket is 1 gen 4U 88D which I love it alot as it do packed a punch and navigate quite fast. My usual string is 66 ultimax with 27lbs for my 88D.

I use the same setup of ZF2 but I find it hard to generate much power from most of my hits as the smashes seems to quite weak & I need to put extra effort to get the shuttle to baseline. Should I reduce the tension or try different type of string?

2. Zoap San

Zoap San Regular Member

What is your weight for ZF2? I've tried 3U version and it's impossible for me to play with it, it's not that I'm not physically strong but the racket is very demanding. 4U should be easier but the with the small frame profile ZF2 have, you have to time your shots better than other racket, hence not user friendly. Also I think ZF2 shaft is stiffer than 88D that's why you have to put in more effort and power in each shot. My suggestion is to lower your tension to 25lbs and see if it helps you generate power, BG 66 ultimax is a good string so you can't go wrong with it. If it doesn't help then the racket might be too demanding for you.

3. Cloudx

Cloudx Regular Member

It's 4U, actually a couple of years ago I tried my friend's ZF2. I didn't ask him what's the tension of his racket that time, but that time it felt very easy to generate big smashes from it. That's what makes me wanted to get 1 myself, unfortunately I've lost contact with my friend since I've move to another state so I couldn't get in touch with him.
    Alright, will try to string it to 24lbs next and try it out.

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

couple year ago, what racket you use?
    ZF are crazy demanding racket & you use 88D which not demanding. Probably you are very used to 88D & the play characteristic are different so it makes you feel ackward.

Cloudx likes this.
  5. Cloudx

Cloudx Regular Member

Was using mainly VT80 & Lining N9ii that time, had BS12 for a short time but frame broken due to mis hit.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

6. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Try the ZFII with -2lbs as your tension on your AX88D. My Reason behind this: ZFII is a compact frame and compact frames ping around 50Hz higher at the same tension compared to normal heads. On compacts the sweet spot is slightly smaller so with same tension it is less forgiving. I suggest to drop the tension by 2lbs and keep the same string model first. If this doesn't help much, the racket is out of your comfort zone and honestly a ZFII is an extreme racket.

Budi and Cloudx like this.
  7. Kwarevo

Kwarevo Regular Member

I think u should try 26 lbs, if not enough 25 and lower. Don't ever try skip 2 lbs.
    For string, 66 ultimax is beast or maybe 66 force is similar to ultimax. Exbolt 63 is good if u need power but I don't like the sound

8. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    1lbs is not enough difference and OP is struggling to get the shuttle to the baseline, so a fine tune won't deliver a statement. A 2lbs drop absolute reasonable to find out if the sweet spot/compact head is the culprit or the too stiff shaft takes the power away because more difficult to wield. IMO trying other strings unnecessary if the shaft is simply too stiff for him to make it work. Better: Accepting that the racket is too stiff when a 2lbs drop don't work and resell instead of tweaking around with other strings and tensions.

9. Zoap San

Zoap San Regular Member

I agree with ucantseeme. If you're struggling to play with 25lbs of BG66UM then I would suggest changing racket rather than wasting time and money changing lots of strings. 66 UM is already one of the most forgiving string if not the most forgiving in the market.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    My 13 year old girl is playing with ZF2 4U and 66UM at 25lbs. She is able to clear baseline to baseline. Her smashes are probably the strongest amongst all players in her age group.

11. Cloudx

Cloudx Regular Member

Just an update, I restring my ZF2 with 66UM @ 25lbs and the racket feels slightly easier to manage. I expect it will improve once the string starts to loose it's initial tension.
    So far I'm able to clear baseline to baseline quite easily but for smashes it'll take a while for me to get used to the compact frame cause I still mis-hit quite frequent. Also due to this i find myself swapping back to my 88D after a game or two.

Cheung likes this.
  12. Gpower

Gpower New Member

Should stick to zf2 and get used to it rather than jumping back to 88d, different rackets take time to get accustomed to.

When I switch from my red 99 to my white 99 and they both have different grips and strings my timing is off and takes a while to fully feel at ease with the racket so going from 88d to zf2 is no joke

ubootsg and BadmintonDave like this.
  13. KBM424

KBM424 New Member

Я бы опробовал 24 или 25 lbs, а струну взял бы Aerosonic