Racket Recommendation to replace my VTZF 2

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Nicky_Boy02, May 12, 2022.

1. Nicky_Boy02

Nicky_Boy02 Regular Member

Space Explorer
    Hi all, I am a doubles player and have been using my VTZF 2 4U for the longest time, probably since it was launched. I own both the black/blue and yellow LD version. I notice that the yellow version is slightly lighter and less stiff (just a tiny bit) than the regular black/blue version. I say that because the blue/black version would give me shoulder ache sometimes, but I don't feel that when playing with the yellow one (both with the same string (Nanogy 98) and tension (28 lb)). Unfortunately, most stores are only selling the black/blue version and discontinued the yellow one or some stores are selling at a ridiculous amount of $$$ for the yellow version. There is one on eBay selling for $500 USD. I need a backup in case I break it one day.

I have tried my friend's Astrox 88d Pro 4U but I felt it was too light and couldn't execute the smash I have with VTZF 2, maybe I just need more time to get adjusted to it? I also tried 100zz 4U and it felt worse than 88d Pro, probably because of the string tension (26lb). I have not had the chance to try out 99 pro. I would like to hear from guys who retired from VTZF 2 and found their new favorite weapon. Thanks!

2. Shamwow

Shamwow Regular Member

There's nothing quite like the ZF2 with it's specs. Legendary racket. Outside of the 99's you might want to try the addidas wucht p8 as it's very stiff, has a compact head and is head heavy. Probably closer to the DZS but it might be worth a try. I'd personally wait it out with the 88dpro for a month to fully adapt to it before moving onto something else if it's still not working out. Happy hunting :D

3. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    100ZZ?
    NF800 maybe.

I have a yellow one, tempted to use it as my "silly high tension" demo, but we can look into export cost if you like. A couple of people here got them recently, one from Europe one from India, so i eould hope you can find one retail that could be posted.

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

The closer one might be the OG 99.
    But still it will feel somehow different.
    Each racket are unique & ZF are legendary unique racket to, so need to move on & accept the current new lineup friend.

5. Nicky_Boy02

Space Explorer
    Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I will give 88d pro a month "probation period" and see if I could find Astrox 99 from my club players to test it out. In the meantime, I will keep hunting for the yellow z force 2.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I find with the 88D pro 4U, you need to have a very technical smash stroke technique to get the full power. It took me a few weeks to get a smash going with it and I had to readjust my technique.

However, the 3U version was much easier to adapt to.

7. Nicky_Boy02

Space Explorer
    Thanks for the tips! I will give that a shot. What's holding me back with 88d pro is the lack of head heaviness. I couldn't "feel" the bird when I smash or doing drops. My friend said that my smash is about the same when I use 88d pro vs VFTZ 2. Right now, I am juggling between 99 pro and 88d pro. I just need to find someone who has a 99 pro for me to try out.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Many racquets that you try will feel like that if you start comparing them to the VTZF2 :)

9. alternat0

alternat0 Regular Member

10. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

I can relate to this. I have an Astrox 100zz and while it is a really nice racquet, I only use it for when I play singles as it does affect my shoulder if I play for longer than an hour with it. I can really feel the head heaviness when compared to the usual racquet I play with, the Nanoray 800.

I had the same issue where you don't have multiple of the same racquets in case you break a string at a crucial moment. I got VERY LUCKY and found another Nanoray 800 on Ebay that was someone's spare racquet. And I paid a good price for a 2nd hand racquet (£100 iirc. Sold for £170ish brand new on release). Keep trying market places and maybe try to buying and selling part of this forum.

Unfortunately, it does take time to adjust to other racquets. I am very well adjusted to the Nanoray 800 and when I try using my Nanoflare 800 it's like I can't even feel where the head is anymore, or see if it's in the right place when I am defending a smash. What I ended up trying to do was to hold the nanoflare in a long grip position until I get used to where the head of the racquet is at all times of swinging. It's sort of working, but I can be impatient if I don't see instant results.

You could also maybe try other brands of racquets.
    jnice black panther, or whatever carlton / li ning / Victor racquets are head heavy.

11. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I've got a ZF2 and NF800 here, one for restring. The frame shape when laid on top of each other has the same dimensions. ZF2 stiffer and head heavier though I think. Not had enough playtime with both to comment.

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

12. Kwarevo

Kwarevo Regular Member

Astrox 88 D Pro 4u is heavy for setter but good for attacker, try 28 lbs or more
    Astrox 99 pro 4u probably suit with you.
    If 4u is not then try 3u