KOREA Open Badminton Championships 2022 (05-10 April 2022) : R/32 to Final

Discussion in '2022 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Apr 4, 2022.

1. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    Oh well not FajRi day’s now… I hope Rian will get better and better… esp. in terms of unforced error… c’mon guys

2. wade

wade Regular Member

He was actually very solid in the defense yesterday and look like the better player out of the 2, I think kang was probably pretty nervous since this could very be his first title.

nokh88 likes this.
  3. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Happy ending for host Korea to nail three titles while China and Malaysia pocketing one each, world ranking means nothing in men's category as world #156 player & #225 pair stand on highest podium.

Just two points away Jonatan Christie celebrated first ever S500 title but he wasted the golden chance, loosen up his grip and let the left-hander got second wind to grab five consecutive points. Once again, focus and consistency playing vital role. The Indonesia had great start to handle the less experienced Weng HY with his tactical play then the gutsy Chinese increased the tempo, turned to more aggressive and faster meanwhile Christie began to meet inaccuracy but he regrouped slowly until that fatal moment, 19-16 turn to 19-21. Deciding game went to Weng way, growing confidence and better stamina to outlast the quite fatigue Asian Games champion. A big relief for China in their turbulent MS period to build young generation squad.

It’s predictable outcome for WS final looking at their H-2-H stats, home favourite is clear winner. Chochuwong put tenacious effort to break and seek a loophole of An solid wall, almost working good but too bad her execution in decisive stages produced erroneous shot. An has developed to be more and more mature player, only few of elites who can beat this teen star nowadays where patience also stamina are the key or the offensive player with high level precision.

An unexpected result created by the local duo Kang MH/Seo SJ who beat several notable combinations in their trajectory to clinch gold medal at home soil including final rivals Alfian/Ardianto. Big setback for INA camp who brings almost best pairs (minus world #1) but falter one by one. Not a surprise for KOR to mix and match doubles players and perhaps Kang/Seo would be permanent partnerships ahead with this encouraging result.

The Malaysian XD, Tan/Lai are simply better pair in today’s final, more aggressive, less mistake, compact and their amazing defense which so effective to answer Ko SH hard smash. Korea shows their depth in WD, the relatively new combination Jeong NE/Kim HJ pick their first title in 8th tournament (since 2019), Aimsaard sisters have decent technical skill notably their attacking smash but lack of endurance in marathon rallies.

lurker, lodoss, It'sMeMeMe and 3 others like this.
  4. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

He will take part KOR Masters next week then tough for him to participate S500++ tours due to low ranking.

"The Terminator" :D
    To be world beater another important factor to notice is consistency.

keithl and skhai91 like this.
  5. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    A new champion in the making. Md and ms. ;)

keithl likes this.
  6. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    After 1h17min Wang jump smashed four times plus running during a rally. He borrowed the spirit from Loh for a while

keithl and Justin L like this.
  7. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

I've heard something of new Lin Dan, young Lin Dan, Lin Dan version 2.0, or right-hand Lin Dan, heir of Lin Dan these days.

But we should not forget that Lee Zii Jia was a king already.

ChildrenOfBadminton likes this.
  8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Another version of Lin Dan perhaps, an improved version, hmm...that may be a bit too much to ask of WHY, or of anybody for that matter. At least, too early to say, I think so. Let the future tell.

Nevertheless, an exciting and promising talent, now 22 years old, where before due to his youth and low ranking during pre-pandemic years when he was confined to competing only in the low-tier Super 100 or the occasional S300 tournaments, this time he was fortunate to be PFR (promoted from the reserve) at the Korea WT500 event, and what a resounding way the manner in which he thundered to the final and lift aloft the trophy at the expense of the current WR8 Jonathan Christie, no mean feat, most certainly.

Indeed, a breakout tournament for the relative youngster whose young career was like everybody else's disrupted by the Covid-19 pandemic. Let 's hope it's not just a flash-in-the-pan performance by another out-of-the-blue up-and-comer.

keithl likes this.
  9. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

haha. somehow, the name LKY appear in my mind when i read this line.

skhai91 likes this.
  10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Personally, not only reigning WC Loh KY, also Kunlavut Vitidsarn, Lakhsya Sen, even the fancied Lee ZY not quite there yet , and I'd venture to say Viktor Axelsen isn't a very convincing world number one post-TOG. And not only him, Kento Momota too, no less, is not on solid ground for quite a while since his disastrous showing on homesoil at the Tokyo Olympics.

For the time being, it appears that any of the aforementioned on a good, when on top of his game, can take a match or, beater still, an entire tournament but another time or place is another story. Indeed, I can't emphasize enough that consistency is key to success at the very top.

11. Makkem_1

Makkem_1 Regular Member

Weng HY surprised everyone - i thought he' lose at the QF stage, i thought he was just a big smash, and expected Ng Tze Yong to have too much quality for him Instead, Weng kept the pace fast and showed a sharp tactical awareness, and Ng just didn't have the shot tolerance and struggled badly on defence.
    Weng got better as the tournament went on - netplay plus killer smash plus fitness is really hard to withstand. I thought Christie would be a step too far in class and experience, but Weng set a high tempo and Christie just wilted in the end - thats why the mistakes came. I think a tough tactical battle with Srikanth and a hard-fought marathon with Viditsarn took its toll.
    Take nothing away from Weng, but i do think the inevitable comparisons with LD are a bit premature. He definitely took his chance with both hands - they don't come round very often for CHN players, and he'll get a window to prove it was no fluke. CHN men's singles are in transition, the young lads are still finding the ropes, and right now the best young talent is elsewhere (Sen, Viditsarn)
    I really like Viditsarn's play as well, he's brave, strong and fast, technically sound and hits like a hammer. Has junior pedigree, which doesn't always translate, but he's so athletic he has to shine. Needs to polish his front court skills a bit but raw talent here.
    Men's singles overall, missing some big names this tournament, (seems like a decision by a certain group to collectively not play and leave the world rankings more-or-less the same before the TC?) Christie will be phlegmatic about losing a tight final, but overall, he's making gains in ranking and getting into good form over the past few tournaments.) Lots of players seemed to play 1 big match and not be able to back it up (e.g. Rhustavito - so skilful, but way too inconsistent.)

Habisin-Habisin and kurako like this.
  12. keithl

keithl Regular Member

software engineer
    WHY looked to have bunch of reserved energy towards the end with that display of aggressiveness, almost to say 'I've stayed disciplined and let me express myself and enjoy this final point.'. Definitely a bit premature to say this improved version of Lin Dan as he is today, the improved parts are that built physically taller, extremely powerful and flexible wrist, and played without much emotion at this age. The potential is all there. Lin Dan at this same age had discipline issue. Plus the competition has moved forward for good where we are seeing a 'multipolar world' if I could borrow a term from the current political scene, where tournament outcomes are no longer quite predictable and decided between two regulars.

#132 keithl, Apr 10, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    Justin L and Simeon like this.
  13. keithl

keithl Regular Member

software engineer
    Also to note as some did not notice, the reason for comparing with Lin Dan is because WHY is a leftie where inherently comes with added advantage. If you analyze the game with JC, many shots from JC seem to be that he forgot that his opponent is left handed. That is the advantage for being lefties. The opponents have to be fully aware all the time that the opponent is a lefties and not play the default shots.

14. justiceforlcy

justiceforlcy Regular Member

Why are you so obsessed with LZJ? You mention his name every possible chance you get

15. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    At the age 22-23 Lin Dan won 90% of his matches. Lee Zee Jia won 66%.

Justin L and terrynguyen121988 like this.
  16. keithl

keithl Regular Member

software engineer
    Ignore him Simeon, he is not writing to praise LZK, he writes to smear and gives negative impression about LZJ.

justiceforlcy likes this.
  17. Vestige117

Vestige117 Regular Member

Annoying clown who has an irrational obsession against MAS, especially Lee Zii Jia.

justiceforlcy likes this.
  18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It must be love.

19. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

Aside from the WD champion, all other winners showing up at this week korea 300, am i right?

20. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Unrequited love.

Cheung likes this.