resolving dispute for cracked frame while undergoing restringing

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by e143rw, Apr 2, 2022.

1. e143rw

e143rw New Member

Hi all,

I've been reading threads in this forum on-and-off for a while but have never posted. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences. And apologies in advance for posting under the wrong forum.

I had a Forza Light 9.9 with the original string. I bought it in December 2019 and because of the lock-down, I have only used the racket on less than 10 occasions. I would rate myself somewhere between a beginner and an intermediate player, predominantly doubles and never a racket crash with this Forza racket.
    I wanted to have a higher tension so went to a collect-and-string service in London to have it strung with BG-80 to 23lb. The max tension for this racket is 28lb.

The racket was normal when I dropped it off. I received an e-mail from the stringer before I collected the racket, he said that the racket is a bit wrapped and I should have cut the strings as soon as it snaps. I was confused by the message because the string and the racket were intact when I dropped it off, with photos to prove it. When inspecting at collecting of the racket, the racket was indeed wrapped. At a closer inspection at home, I found out that the distorted racket was caused by a crack at the 3 o'clock position of the frame.

I didn't jump up and down at the stringer, hoping to resolve the matter calmly, but he naturally blamed the racket and didn't offer any remedy, being very passive in the correspondence.

What are my options and what is your opinion on this matter? What would you do? What usually happens under these circumstances?

Thanks in advance for your contribution.

yenyesoh likes this.
  2. Michael Boyle

Michael Boyle New Member

Could just be manufacturing defect. You strung within the tension limits so that wouldn't have voided your warranty. Not sure how long the warranty for that racquet is but you could try reaching out to the manufacturer.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

3. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I might say find another stringer or learn how to string yourself, you are probably S.O.L. (Sh*t Outta Luck). Rackets usually have a 1 year warranty, if you can find a shop that can help you with warranty you might get lucky. As for the shop if you said the strings were intact when you dropped it off ans they said it warped because you didn't cut the strings, someone is lying, if you know it is not you then time to find another stringer or learn yourself. Any reputable stringer would admit to their mistake and want to keep their customer or find a way to remedy the situation, not put the blame on you. A reputable stringer, especially at a shop should do a racket inspection before stringing. They noticed it was warped, they knew something was wrong and put the blame on you. Most stringers would know graphite rackets don't warp like aluminum rackets, you can deform them by stretching them but if one side looke different than another, a shop should know there is a crack. Once you took it out of the shop they lost all responsibility, if you would have notices the crack there you might have a case, but they could say we didn't see a crack, you might have done it when you took it outside and the air you hit broke it, we didn't see any cracks when we took it off the machine, only it was a little warped because you didn't cut the strings, even though you say they were not broken, but it is now your fault, not ours. A reputable shop might also explain what they see and show you it is warped and prove to you there are no cracks. If they gave you your racket and rushed you out of the shop, sounds shady, might want to give them a Yelp review and warn your friends, the shop is shady, customer service is terrible, you have pictures to prove it. Sorry man need to buy a new racket or learn how to string, many stringers here love to help and give advice in this forum. Good Ruck!

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

s_mair and Michael Boyle like this.
  4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Definitely sound fishy. Unfortunately, I don't think you can get much out of the stringer. Try contacting your racket retailer and see if they'd help you with warranty.

Michael Boyle likes this.
  5. Michael Boyle

Michael Boyle New Member

The "warped because you didn't cut the strings" excuse is nonsense anyway, that was the factory string job right? No way it came out high enough for that to even matter.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

kakinami likes this.
  6. MikaelK

MikaelK Regular Member

IT Network engineer
    Is the photos detailed enough to show the now cracked area?
    Let us try to have a look, also to see the "condition" of possible wrapped frame...

Sendt fra min SM-G991B med Tapatalk

s_mair likes this.
  7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Would be perfect to see both the pre and post stringing pics.

Apart from that, the whole behaviour of the shop is clearly shady. My opinion: They know that the frame cracked on the machine and are desperate to shift the blame away from them. Obviously they don’t even recall that you handed them the racket with the strings still intact and still directly jumped on that assumption.

Any reputable shop should have a insurance that covers damages like that. Cause let’s face the truth, there is always a certain risk of an internal damage or a micro crack that you overlooked in pre-stringing checkup, so it might not even be an actual fault of the stringer. They way they dealt with it is as bad as can be though.

Cheung and kakinami like this.
  8. xZhongCheng

xZhongCheng Regular Member

Systems Analyst
    You maybe out of luck even with warranty. I never had any luck with getting a racket warrantied. Worst one was the JS12M that broke in 15 minutes of playing when the string snapped. Strung at 27 pounds and done correctly. Hopefully Forza helps with warranty better than Victor did for me.

Cheung likes this.