The BC chamber of stringing horrors

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by s_mair, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Jay Ng

Jay Ng Regular Member

You’re correct in noticing that it’s something to do with the knot. Stringer finished and tied off the both mains on b6/B6 and then started the cross on B8

2. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I found an awesome video. Around 23:57 you need to turn up the volume. This Master Sifu @extremenanopowe took his time to make this video takinh his knowledge from 1980 and showing how to string back in the day doing a Astrox 88S Pro with a normal 21 crosses and changing it to 19 crosses and showing how to waste string off your reel. This video you can comment on, his he disabled his comments. A keen viewer noticed the 23;57 thing and commented on it. I didn't notice it until it was smelt out. Enjoy! Thanks @extremenanopowe for the awesome video!

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Simeon, DuckFeet and thyrif like this.
  3. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

@20:50 man, stringing is hard, imma grab my sowing kit o_O

And is he using the whole reel??:eek:

Why is the machine clicking when tensioning?? Is it slipping?? With all that wrapping?? Why doesn't he use the slot in the wheel?? Does he know anything?? How does he tie his shoes?? :eek:

Dekkert and kakinami like this.
  4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Yes, it clearly is. You can hear it in the changing pitch of the string when he is plucking it at 24:09. First it goes up, then backs down and up again. You can even see the tensioner keeps moving during the whole process. And that's why he is holding and pulling the end of the string behind the tensioner - if he wouldn't do that, the string would be completely slipping. Without inserting it in the slot, there is no chance that you get the needed friction by only wrapping it around.

kakinami and thyrif like this.
  5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you see... that poor machine has been chugging along for 30 yrs, probably not in the best of shape. the gripper is not longer gripping, that why he need to wrap the string over it like 10 times. the base bearing has seen around 30,000 rackets so it is completely worn out, look at the wobble.

but obviously it will still string "30lbs" which is what the professional uses.

kakinami and thyrif like this.
  6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

KISS - Keep It Super Shitty

*est. 1992

Dekkert, kakinami and thyrif like this.
  7. Kaelhdris

Kaelhdris Regular Member

Man, that video hurts my eyes, my brain, and i'm fairly sure i just became a worse stringer for watching parts of it :eek:
    Still on the fence on whether it was worth it just to hear him fart.

kakinami likes this.
  8. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Come on man!! @extremenanopowe is a master stringer you don't need to tie velcro shoes!! Did you hear at about 23:57? Make you laugh!!

thyrif and s_mair like this.
  9. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

23:57 you need to hear that pitch clearly!! It is about the frequency between 200 and 400 Hz

s_mair likes this.
  10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I'm dying! Seriously!

kakinami likes this.
  11. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

That is a good one!!! <3

12. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Sorry for that!! Glad you caught it!!

Kaelhdris likes this.
  13. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I'm trying to figure out what I need to protect my finger from still.....

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

14. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    The only other stringer I know who uses a KISS moto is the reason I own my own machine. Keep up the good work KISSers!

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

15. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Okay, so I played with a guy at my club yesterday, and his racket sounded so weird: "THUMP"... Turns out, he had it strung at a local big sport shop in januari.

First racket is 10kg (22lbs), second is 9kg (20lbs). His is last.. He asked for 11kg (24lbs)..

Man that sounds and feels like 11lbs (5kg) or something.. I've seen 10 euro camping sets with more tension.
    (all similar thickness) (sorry for the weird voice, I'm just flabbergasted)

Oh, they also missed a grommet (see pic). Although, at this tension... :rolleyes:

So I called them up: "you guys can't sell this, what the hell is going on."
    "we string a lot, for years!"
    "the machine sets the tension, and it's not like we lower tension on purpose" (here i'm starting to think they set it to lbs instead of kg)
    "but we don't string a lot of badminton" (1/100, rest is tennis/squash)

Maybe they should stick to stringing Padel rackets or something :p

Attached Files:

16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

My bet: They don't tighten the clamps going from tennis to badminton strings. That ping sounds like pretty much zero tension at all.

Another example that the actual time doing something is completely irrelevant in terms of quality. It's even worse if you think that they still don't recognise that something is clearly off, just by actually touching the string bed.

And that's why it's important to make decisions and to simply stop doing what you obviously can't. Everybody would be better off if they simply stopped stringing badminton rackets and focus on tennis and squash.

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Or they double pull. Thing is, for a shop that do 99% tennis, a badminton with more strings will take them twice as long. They will find any short cut possible.

18. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

On a serious note - wouldn't that be a chance to start some kind of cooperation with that shop? So basically the shop keeps offering badminton restrings, but they will hand the rackets to you and you'll be the one stringing them for a fixed price? The shop wouldn't have to turn down customers, but they could get rid of the unloved badminton jobs, the customers will finally get proper string jobs and you could expand your business as well. Would be a classic win-win for everybody involved imo. Maybe this could be an interesting option to check out for many of us.

Have you listened to that ping? That's <800 Hz'ish. Given that they really pulled with the ordered 24 lbs., they must have at least done quadruple pulling.

kwun likes this.
  19. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

I already have a job, just string for (club) friends. But maybe @Dekkert has time and could go and have a chat.

It has to be like one pull for the whole racket, man. And a missing grommet, unacceptable.

Now that I've replaced it with a proper 10.5kg job, it sounds happy again!

speCulatius likes this.
  20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Just received this racket from a client. I think some stringer used before wasn't taking care of the racket. Digging too deep for a covered grommet. Well now that changed coz I am the stringer now for this national level junior. PXL_20220322_040043744.jpg

speCulatius likes this.