Zhang Yiman (张艺曼)

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by vozer here, Dec 19, 2021.

1. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

2021 world championships bronze medal

Born 15 January 1997 (age 24) Hunan, China
    Residence Beijing, China
    Handedness Right
    Women's singles Highest ranking 32 (5 November 2019)
    Height 1m68

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tbgoh288, Justin L and kwun like this.
  2. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

viver and Justin L like this.
  3. RedShuttle

tbgoh288, Justin L and Cheung like this.
  4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Many thanks, RedShuttle, for posting the article about Manman (Zhang Yiman's nickname).

Good to know her badminton idol is Lin Dan, because " Dan's spirit is worth learning, tenacious struggle, never give up, domineering and tenacious spirit."

Also glad to know that one of her hobbies is reading, hopefully not just for entertainment but, more importantly, widely for knowledge for there's life outside and after professional sport.

At the world championships, in my opinion, she is the one who put up the best fight against the eventual world champion Akane Yamaguchi albeit going down in two straight but hard-fought sets by the identical score of 21-19, and even taking taking out Intanon Ratchanok in a thrilling three-setter at the QFs. Very impressed, forcing me to look at her differently with a new level of respect.

She just turned 25 on January 15, it's my greatest wish to see her make (another) breakthrough in her career; indeed, her recent performance at the world champs showed she does have the potential for a major breakout and I can't wait to see it happen, the sooner the better. Success may come late but it won't be absent for those who persevere with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Woesi, RedShuttle and tbgoh288 like this.
  5. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

6. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

#6 tbgoh288, Mar 11, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
    Justin L and RedShuttle like this.
  7. RedShuttle

8. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

#8 tbgoh288, Mar 12, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
    Justin L likes this.
  9. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

GERMAN OPEN 2022.
    Zhang Yiman vs Chen Yufei

https://weibo.com/tv/show/1034:4746508587958292?from=old_pc_videoshow

A player once touted by Zhang Ning as the girl to look out for in Chinese women's badminton is finally showing some very good results. Will she stagnate (she is already 25) or will she improve further? Let's wait and see. Meanwhile she has picked up a back injury. Hope she will recover for the AE.

#9 tbgoh288, Mar 12, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    Justin L likes this.
  10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yup, it could have been Zhang Yiman instead of Chen Yufei in the final today against He Bingjiao at the German Open. Zhang Yiman, way to go!

#10 Justin L, Mar 13, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    tbgoh288 likes this.
  11. Maurice MJC

Maurice MJC Regular Member

Zhang Yiman has a very refreshing style, distinct from the all-around style of Chen Yufei and the high-risk/ high-pace style of HBJ. She does seem a bit frail though, for a player at this stage of her career, hopefully she can regain full fitness soon !

12. RedShuttle

HOLY Open 2022 QF: vs Carolina Marin.

Not sure how this happened, a match worth noting nevertheless.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I have a feeling Zhang Yiman's 2021 World Championship form is coming back - the way she played Marin these two weeks, losing the first where I thought she actually played better than Marin but mishandled the crucial stage , and then avenging that defeat in the second meeting in an intense, close hard-fought battle, winning in three sets by the identical score of 19-21,21-19, and 21-19, a thrilling match defeating the top seed, Carolina Marin, in the QFs of the Hylo Open S300, to advance to the SFs.

In the semis, ZYM didn't disappoint, she went on to beat the former world champ, Nozomi Okuhara, who's also on the comeback trail as Marin, in an exciting well-played match interspersed with some breathtaking shots, winning in two convincing straight sets by the score of 21-18, 21-17. It's this second of the two consecutive tournaments that her performance more or less instilled my belief of ZYM regaining her previous best form reached when at the semifinals of the 2021 Huelva WC, she pushed the eventual world champion, Akane Yamaguchi, to the limit before conceding the match in two hard-fought sets by the identical score of 21-19, even leading for the better part of G2 until the last lap.

In conclusion, it's still very much my expressed wish to see Zhang Yiman follow in the footsteps of her illustrious senior compatriot, Zhang Ning, a rare and phenomenal late bloomer, who started to peak late in her career , playing her very best badminton in her late twenties and early thirties, an age when most women's singles are considered to be in their tail end or twilight years but not for Zhang Ning, who clinched her maiden world title in 2003 at age 27, then followed by two Olympic golds in 2004 and 2008, at age 28 and 32 respectively.

Well, let's see if Zhang Yiman, now age 25, born 15 January, 1997,has what it takes to emulate the truly exceptional feat of Zhang Ning, a remarkable late bloomer, in the years to come. I hope so.

Wish Zhang Yiman every success going forward. JiaYou !

14. RedShuttle

A lot is riding on the outcome of the duel between ZYM and HY who played in the WC this year, instead of last year's bronze medalist ZYM. These two are the closest competitors for future opportunities through the Paris Olympics.

ZYM needs to cut down on her casual errors. She does not take that much risk to justify making those errors.

Justin L likes this.
  15. viver

viver Regular Member

Maybe a confidence issue. ZYM has very good technique, strokes and footwork, I feel she needs to work on the mental aspect and physical condition. In these 2 areas, I believe Han Yue is a bit better.

Justin L likes this.
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Maybe Zhang Yiman, who had a tougher route to the final , first that war of attrition with Marin in the QFs, especially, going the full distance, then followed by another less demanding but still considered hard-fought match with Nozomi in the SFs, was affected by the toll of accumulated fatigue in the title bout with her fellow teammate Han Yue today.

Initially, ZYM on the get-go started strongly and raced off to a comfortable lead, 6-1, 9-2, 12-4, threatening to run away with the set. But, no, all of a sudden, Han Yue dug her heels in and reeled off 6 straight points to close the gap to just two points, then drew level at 14-all. Thereafter ZYM pulled away with another three-point lead, 17-14, before HY again clawed back 15-17, 18-all and abruptly finished it off with three points in a row to take the opening game.

In G2, right off the blocks, HY never looked back, stamped her authority as ZYM wilted to gain a commanding lead, 11-4, then at point 14 for HY , ZYM began to reassert herself and chipped away at HY's hefty lead, but her last-ditch effort was all in vain as HY spurted to the finishing line, 21-16, to lift the trophy.

In fairness, we've to admit that ZYM wasn't at her best on final's day, particularly obvious in G2, when you compare it with how she conducted her game the previous few rounds. In conclusion, I'd venture to say the jury is still out , or it's certainly is still too early to say, as to which of these two is the better player or brighter prospects going forward. By the way, it's their first international meeting, therefore, I daresay, one match doesn't prove anything.

For me, I'm more concerned about their age difference in that I feel more for ZYM, who at age 25 , it's more pressing for her to achieve a breakthrough in her career, the sooner the better, whereas for the relatively young Han Yue, at age 22, time is on her side.

17. RedShuttle

ZYM is perhaps one of the biggest victims of the pandemic which robbed her the opportunity to compete during the most critical period of her development. Just when she turned a corner with a WC medal, the unfortunate injury brutally derailed her progress that she has yet to recover.

ZYM has great retrieving capability and scrambles well. Given her fitness level, she could be an Akane Yamaguchi type of the player. But she does not seem having the determination to grind it out. ZYM also has great racket skills and good touches at the net. But she does not seem having the confidence to execute consistently. She is often caught in confusion about what her game plan is and plays haphazardly on key points, reflecting a lack of experience at competing at the highest level.

ZYM often seems having too much on her mind. Her hopeless challengers on line calls may be an indication of her needing an emotional outlet.

ZYM has all the tools to succeed but lacks clarity in her mind and a coherent strategy to put all the tools to good use.

Hope the coaching staff will help her out and she determines to help herself out. It's sad to see talents wasted.

Justin L likes this.
  18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Not being overly optimistic or wishful thinking, I think there's still hope for Zhang Yiman , if her game with Marin, esp her 3rd set come-from-behind win, and the way she disposed of Nozomi, who may not be back to her former best but still by no means easy meat, are any indication, my intuition tells me she could be on the cusp of a big breakthrough in her career.

Like I said , she is a late starter, her best result so far is a bronze medal at the 2021 Huelva, Spain, World Championships, and some of her scalps these two years included PV Sindhu, Intanon Ratchanok, Carolina Marin, Nozomi Okuhara - we can only hope she is a late bloomer; no doubt, it's a tall order for her to emulate Zhang Ning, a hard act to follow for anyone but I'm unwilling to rule out that possibility (didn't ZN started to make her mark on the world scene as late as age 26/27?).

I fully agree , ZYM does have a fair bit of loose ends to tie up as aptly pointed out by RedShuttle, hopefully, they aren't an insurmountable problem.

ZYM appears to me a serious, good student; as I observed during the game breaks and mid-game intervals, such as in her match with Marin and Nozomi, when Sun Jun came over to instruct her, she never once looked away but quickly picked up her drinking bottle and listened intently to her coach with nods of acknowledgement while drinking water, unlike most athletes who'd busy themselves rummaging through their kitbags, towelling themselves, drinking their water bottles , all while without looking at their coaches as if they are still listening.

About her playing style, I do enjoy watching , very entertaining - her shotmaking crisp and neat, executing her attacking and defensive shots decisively, with an occasional dose of trickery, ready to stay the course, even running all over the court and scrambling for every return shot when the going gets tough. Overall, at the moment, she is just missing that little bit extra to reach the top echelon, the potential is evident though, undoubtedly.

Zhang Yiman, do your best !

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks to BWF TV, let's revisit Zhang Yiman's debut at the 2021 World Championships where she acquitted herself admirably in the Semifinals clash with the eventual world champ, Akane Yamaguchi.

I opined that it's the tournament that ZYM announced her arrival on the world stage, and I'm sure that's when many of you first sat up and took notice of her, a masterful performance she displayed, in G2 even better than in G1. In G2, watched how she forged ahead to 16-12, though , unfortunately, she failed to level up and force the decider.

Just imagine a world ranked No.46 ZYM at that time playing like a Top 5 ranked contestant, giving the WR2 and 2nd seeded Akane Yamaguchi a run for her money. It's been one of my biggest wishes to see ZYM return to that kind of form soon and progress further from there.

20. viver

viver Regular Member

I don't really follow much the juniors in China, so might be mistaken. The competition for Zhang Yiman may come from Gao Fangjie. Gao's playing style resembles ZYM more than Han Yue or Wang Zhiyi. Will be interesting to see how things will progress for them and wishing both the best of luck.