BG80 Breaking

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by hn8790, Mar 9, 2022.

1. hn8790

hn8790 Regular Member

Business Systems Manager
    Does anyone else have issues with BG80 breaking really easily, this seems to happen most often on the most central main strings at the top of the racket.

I'd used BG80 personally for many years and never had any issues with it breaking. I also have people I string for at 27+ lbs without issues.

It does seem that those who break the strings are frequent mis-hitters, although it makes me question if BG80 really is that prone to breakages or am I doing something wrong in my stringing.

I've now moved onto Aerosonic and again I don't have any issues with breakages at all so at least that gives me some comfort that my stringing can't be all that bad!

Is there anything that people have found that plays like BG80 but is more durable.

yenyesoh likes this.
  2. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

A freshly strung BG80 breaks very easily when mis-hitting at the top of the racket. More so than other strings - from my experience.

Nothing plays like BG80.

BG80 is on the more durable side already.

BG80P and Gosen G-Tone 9 could be worth a try, but both feel significantly different from BG80.

puttguy likes this.
  3. hn8790

hn8790 Regular Member

Business Systems Manager
    I'm glad someone else is saying the same.

I played with BG80P for a while too and having gotten used to the stiffness and control of BG80 I prefer it over BG80P which then felt spongy in comparison.

Not used Gosen so I'll give that a try.

4. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I string for an army guy who killed 2 sets of BG80 in one session. Definitely on my "nice but not durable" list.

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

hn8790 and yenyesoh like this.
  5. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

Because it's such a stiff string, mishits can easily cause breakages, especially during winters in cold regions

As BG 80 user, I turn to Aerobite Boost during winters. The repulsion and hardness is slightly less than BG80 but it doesn't break as easily or lose tension as quickly.

Simeon and hn8790 like this.
  6. puttguy

puttguy Regular Member

Swings in roundabouts when it comes to strings. BG65Ti is thicker 0.70mm & is pretty much the most durable string YY makes. BG80 (Repulsion:8/Durability:6/Sound:7/shock:6/control:6) is 0.68mm thick & if strung at 26lbs or above will break easily with miss timed hits, especially on the mains at the top of the racquet.
    I've had strings break from getting out of my car due to the temperature change (air-conditioned car to 34°C back to air-conditioned sports hall).
    My advice is to take things easy during your warm ups, until your timing is right before you start hitting harder for those clears and smashes. This was you and your racquet/strings will last longer.

Sent using Tapatalk

#6 puttguy, Mar 9, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    Simeon and hn8790 like this.
  7. hn8790

hn8790 Regular Member

Business Systems Manager
    Thanks guys, really glad people are confirming the same thing. It's been really bugging me!

Personally for many years it was my go to string and although I've moved on to Aerosonic, I always recommend BG80 to people as the best all round string.

The durability has made me question whether I should find another go to offering (at least for less consistent players). I've had some awkward conversations where BG80 has snapped in the first session and people are questioning the stringing. I think from now on, I'll pre-warn people about BG80's tendency to break.

8. Budi

Budi Regular Member

did you check the grommet? Is there a broken one?
    Does something change?
    Racket change maybe causing your timing off resulting misshit?
    Different stringer? BG80 had rough texture, so bad works could makes string grind eachother.
    Increase string tension?

hn8790 likes this.
  9. puttguy

puttguy Regular Member

If you want BG80 to last even with a miss timed hit, try adding an extra cross string at the top of your racquet. I.e. 1 extra above where the first cross string normally starts.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

hn8790 likes this.
  10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

This. If it is really breaking at the exact same spot in the frame area, I'd definitely change all the grommets around the 12 o'clock area of the frame. I noticed that these grommets are heavily stressed and get nicked very easily.

Apart from that, BG80 can be a bitchy string that doesn't forgive heavy mishits. Especially when it's freshly strung.

hn8790 likes this.
  11. hn8790

hn8790 Regular Member

Business Systems Manager
    Yeah I have replaced all the top grommets from 12 o'clock working outwards until I hit the first shared grommet, as its along this area that it tends to break.

This perhaps opens up another question, do grommets vary in quality? Having strung a couple of Li-Ning rackets recently, the standard grommets do seem a bit more substantial in supporting the string. I'm based in the UK so I'm limited as to what I can get my hands on but it might be worth investing in better grommets....any recommendations?

Regarding adding an additional string at the top, I'm not keen on non-standard stringing patterns. I have however tried adding a couple of pounds and minimising tension loss in the tie off as much as possible to give some extra support at the top.

I tend to agree that if the racket survives the first couple of sessions then it goes on to seem durable.

12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I really like the Li-Ning grommets:
    https://www.racket-outlet.com/badmi..._outlet_com&___from_store=badminton_outlet_de

They have a good fit in most rackets and seem to be quite sturdy. And the pricing is also fair. Not sure where you can get them in the UK though.

Oh, and they also have those Cubic Locking ones that I like in heavily used and/or sunken holes:

https://www.racket-outlet.com/badmi..._outlet_com&___from_store=badminton_outlet_de

thyrif likes this.
  13. hn8790

hn8790 Regular Member

Business Systems Manager
    Cheers, I'll have a look, worst case I'm sure I can import them from somewhere. It's worth the price if it makes for a better quality job.

I'll try and elimate everything I can before I just have to put it down to the players just having poor timing!

s_mair likes this.
  14. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    UK source for Square grommets if it helps. Nothing to do with me, I just bought from them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Badminto...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

hn8790 likes this.
  15. hn8790

hn8790 Regular Member

Business Systems Manager
  16. what07

what07 Regular Member

The Li-Ning grommets that have the logo or that come with the racket and spares I find are really tough and long lasting compared to the replacement Li-Ning replacement ones. Too bad we can't buy the logo ones.

Back on Topic, tried BG-80 after almost 7 years away and broke the set after 2 hours of play from being freshly strung at 28lbs. Was a mishit and was quite surprised considering I mishit alot on much thinner strings and they still survive.

hn8790 likes this.
  17. khoai

khoai Regular Member

If you guys watch @ckyew's video of BG80 under microscope, it has random holes and I think that's the cause for easy breaking. I switched to ABBT and never looked back.

(Skip to 4:45 for BG80)

18. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Correlation≠Causality

Also, the sample size is way too low to even speak of correlation.

So... where does your assumption come from? Especially considering that BG80 lasts for quite a while even when fraying (at that point, there's more than just little holes in the coating). Is there more to it that I'm missing? If not, your assumption doesn't make any sense.

s_mair likes this.
  19. khoai

khoai Regular Member

Scientific speaking, you are totally right. I have nothing else. If I had enough evidence that it was deliberated, I would sell all my Yonex stuff and jump to a different manufacturer. But from the teeny tiny sample, holes are totally RANDOM, relatively large and in high density compared to the string, and look deeper than just the coating surface. It may be ok with patterned holes since performance should be more uniform but when they are random, the chance is density may be too high where the string is vulnerable causing breakage. But again (more buts), that's just my speculation (not even assumption) so take it as it is, speculation.

20. RichF

RichF Regular Member

This is weird.

I've been using BG80 for years and years but recently (past 3 or 4 months) I've had more breakages than normal. No, I'm not mishitting more often (!) and the breakages are happening near the middle.

There's no chance there's a bad batch, is there?!

ucantseeme likes this.