YONEX GAINWARD German Open 2022

Discussion in '2022 Tournaments' started by vozer here, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Some surprising results. Yuta and Arisa also lost to their teammates.

2. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Plot twist approaches MS last quarter draw where two protagonists Kento Momota and reigning World Champion Loh Kean Yew delivered unexpected opening round conclusion. World #2 was miles away from his 2019 remarkable version and transforming into ordinary seasoned-campaigner yesterday, specifically in second game as displayed by single digit scoreline. Poor defense, subpar net play were among his abnormal mode, crisis of confidence possibly had arisen. Credit to the underdog Nishimoto who played calmer, more accurate and handled pressure properly.

Loh KY had great start at the beginning then the gritty Canadian bounced back to present much better performance how he exploited polished technical skill to balance more fancied rival. Perhaps Dubai camp training more or less contributing familiarity of each other game plan, Loh unabled to conduct adequate concentration at crucial stages, contrary with Yang solid focus, 18-16 to 18-21. Meanwhile Jonatan Christie repeats victory over Li Shifeng in three games, the experience speaks volume in this encounter. The Chinese future star was too rushing to unleash smash many times instead of keep patient in constructed rallies until precious time to attack.

Scintillating part of He-Ohori tie came in late opening game, the Chinese grabbed five points in a row including saving three game points to show mental prowess. He didn’t play to her true ability and talent instead of involved in common long rallies until one player commited mistake. It will be dire situation for the left-hander Chinese if she still manages uninspired form against nemesis Akane Yamaguchi. Agility, defense, stamina, less error represent World Champion forte alongside her acknowledged technical skill.

Watanabe/Higashino were really off yesterday, what a careless play, the unusual weak defense, moderate footwork, initiative deficiency to control the match. Kaneko/Matsumoto attacking shots were on point and more lethal to force their teammates overwhelmed, simply better in overall appraisal. China scratch mixed doubles Ou XY/Huang YQ pass first test to eliminate Christiansen/Boje but grim outlook to progess further here as the Olympic Champions standing next on their path.

R/16 MATCH HIGHLIGHTS :
    - Kidambi Srikanth (IND) v Lu Guangzu (CHN)
    - Anthony Ginting (INA) v Lakshya Sen (IND)
    - Kunlavut Vitidsarn (THA) v Jonatan Christie (INA)
    - Tai Tzu Ying (TPE) v Sayaka Takahashi (JPN)
    - Pusarla V. Sindhu (IND) v Zhang Yiman (CHN)
    - He Bingjiao (CHN) v Akane Yamaguchi (JPN)
    - Ou XY/Liu YC (CHN) v Koga/Saito (JPN)
    - He JT/Zhou HD (CHN) v Alfian/Ardianto (INA)
    - Lane/Vendy (ENG) v Ong YS/Teo EY (MAS)
    - Zhang SX/Zheng Y (CHN) v Lee SH/Shin SC (KOR)
    - Puavaranukroh/Taerattanachai (THA) v Jansen/Efler (GER)

3. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

You didn't get what I meant to say. Sports is a separate world. We love sports . We dont want sportsperson caught in the middle of all these you mentioned. Let them play their game. They should be kept away from the decision taken by their Country.

4. GoodmintonLover

GoodmintonLover Regular Member

Hey, I just wanted to tell you that I love reading your these type of comments. Thank you :)

SnowWhite and CLELY like this.
  5. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

Yes, in general I agree. However, in the case of this country, unfortunately, these athletes are being "used". They are being used to bolster up nationalist feelings in their home country. It is no coincidence that their last three invasions all happened immediately after the Olympics.
    The ban forces the athletes to take a stance and show it to their home fans. If you don't believe that this is necessary, search for Ivan Kuliak.

And maybe you didn't get my point either: Keep sports and politics separate, yes. But this is no longer politics. This is war.

2 million refugees say hi.

Martynas, Simeon and apparaatti like this.
  6. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

I just watched the match between Loh Kean Yew vs Brian Yang. Both of them played so fast.

Brian Yang was fast and patient but he didn't have "dangeous skills" like top 4.

I think Nishimoto has chance tonight.

7. GoodmintonLover

Does anyone have a link for court 3? I want to watch Sindhu's match.

8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

9. GoodmintonLover

this doesn't seem to work. When I click on any court, it just downloads a file which the VLC player fails to play.

10. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

11. GoodmintonLover

12. GoodmintonLover

Can I ask something? What is the reasoning behind BWF's decision to not allow live streaming/telecasting of all courts and all rounds in all countries? Like, right now I bet many people would want to watch Sindhu's match, then why are they not telecasting it officially anywhere at all? Badminton is quite a big sport. I have seen so many sports having live streaming of all events at least somewhere. But BWF seems to just not care...? But they also block many unofficial live streams. It's really weird. Even small or domestic tournaments have live streams even though almost no one would care to watch. And here we are talking about international events. I remember, last year, during Denmark Open, a super 1000 event which means one of the biggest tournaments, BWF was live streaming only 1 court and only 10 matches a day. In fact, only around 30% of the total number of matches were streamed.

Can't we do something about this? I feel so tired putting in so much effort for just watching 1 badminton match. It takes all the fun out sometimes. I can't believe how BWF has been doing so till now, when there are badminton fans in some of the most populated countries. Do fans in Indonesia, Malaysia or China been watching most badminton matches unofficially?

13. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Me too. I don't know how badminton can be popular to public when even crazy fans have to manage to find a video stream.

We was looking for video streams every day like thieves. I'm tired.

14. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Hugest upset :eek::eek: PV lost to an underest-dog .

15. GoodmintonLover

It might seem silly but can't we do some petition or something to bring notice of this problem to BWF? Or maybe ask vittinghus to forward this matter to BWF? Is there anything we can do?

16. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    @AYearOnTour can you do something about the BWF streaming coverage, may be bring this up in "TBE" podcast.

17. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Court 1 livestreaming links pls?

18. justforfun

justforfun Regular Member

It's because they have sold the broadcasting rights to local TV station for those countries. Nobody would pay to watch badminton on the TV if it's freely accessible on YouTube.

skhai91 likes this.
  19. GoodmintonLover

You'll have to use VPN though

20. GoodmintonLover

I don't think you got what I mean. We cannot watch so many matches anywhere, not even on local TV or OTT platform, nowhere because BWF doesn't telecast/stream it neither does it let the local ones to do it. For example, right now, I can't access BWF RAW in India anywhere, not on youtube, not on TV, not on any OTT platform.

Simeon likes this.