TotalEnergies BWF WORLD Championships 2021 : R/64-Final (12-19 December)

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Dec 11, 2021.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
  2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    SG Govt is very prudent and frugal when it comes to money.

Gigabit, Loh and Anks like this.
  3. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    Reward for being a World Champion is the HONOUR of forever being adressed as a "WORLD CHAMPION" even long after your gone !

Thats the Essence and REWARD of a being WORLD / OLYMPIC CHAMPION !!

Gigabit likes this.
  4. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Thats very sad to know...but I expect SG Gov to honour and give LKY a respectable prize money also hope more private citizens also shower him with gifts too !

Had SK won thr gold...Oh he would be a millionare over night plus acres of lands,cars,private jet etc lol

#1204 Anks, Dec 19, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
    nokh88, YeoKC and Loh like this.
  5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    SG is a very small country, lacking in resources, including cash.

Gigabit and Anks like this.
  6. Anks

Anks Regular Member

I wish all the best to LKY and Singapore !!

Loh likes this.
  7. Anks

Anks Regular Member

As a Major's Fanboy it was yet another amazing WC Year this time though My favourite Queens PVS and CM werent there at the podium along with SYQ,Li/Liu and Fuku/Hiro but Im happy that all the well deserving players earned their rightful Biggest Badminton Medals of the year 2021.

This year though I was hoping to add TTY in my elite LEGENDS club and was really feeling that this time being her best,only and Last chance she would grab it,I had already completed half of my post for her but eventually she lost to a better player AY who is much younger and obviously all the younger girls can now give a run for money to TTY given her 'Deceptive" game has become too obvious and readable for them

As I have said multiple times TTY has become a victim of her own deceptions and she lost her golden chance back in 2017 and that over confidence of winning it later has now lost her chance of ever winning her first Major tittle.

Theres a very important lesson here to be learnt and that is my own saying "Grab the opportunity when its there or else the turtle will win the race and you will be the lost Hare".

This is all I have to say.

Thanks to all the players for participating and entertaining us true badminton fans with their marvelous display of shots.A very happy Christmas and New Year to all my fellow badminton fan family...See you guys later next year at the biggest tournament of 2022 ..the WC in tokyo.

FAN OF MAJORS
    ANX

#1207 Anks, Dec 19, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
    galaxyduo likes this.
  8. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Momota's reign was the longest.
    LKY's reign will be the shortest.

Anks likes this.
  9. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Well my friend,we will surely find that out in Tokyo Next Year...Very Happy New Year to you and your family !

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Loh Kean Yew goes from underdog to badminton world champ

[​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew's success has brought further obstacles as more illustrious opponents are now wary of him.PHOTO: AFP

David Lee
    Dec 20, 2021 12:35 pm

Badminton player Loh Kean Yew's favourite shot sees him striding to the net, holding out his racket to look like he is going for a simple drop shot, only to flick his wrist at the last moment to deftly send the shuttlecock diagonally across the net.

"Can bluff people and make them go the wrong way, quite shiok," said the Singaporean world No. 22 cheekily.

In the past few months, the 24-year-old has made a habit of producing the unexpected, like last night, when he upset Indian world No. 14 Srikanth Kidambi to become world champion, Singapore's first in the sport.

Last Monday, he shocked Denmark's world No. 1 and Olympic champion Viktor Axelsen in the opening round of the event.

His hot form began in October, when he won the lower-tier Dutch Open as the world No. 41, beating India's 25th-ranked Lakshya Sen in the final. The following month, he beat Taiwanese world No. 4 Chou Tien-chen and then Malaysia's world No. 7 and All England champion Lee Zii Jia en route to winning the Badminton World Federation World Tour Super 500 Hylo Open in Germany.

"I like being the underdog. Not many people are aware of you, there's less expectation and, hence, less pressure for me to upset the favourites," said Loh.

Less than three weeks later, he stunned Japan's then world No. 1 Kento Momota in the first round of the Super 1000 Indonesia Open and went all the way to the final before losing to Axelsen.

Super 1000 events are second to only the World Tour Finals in terms of prize money on the World Tour, while the Super 500 is the fourth tier, and Loh is the first Singaporean to go so far at both levels. Yet, he is as modest as he is honest.

On taking Axelsen's scalp, he says: "I believe I can give any player a tough fight, but I don't think I'm so good yet."

Ahead of him in the world rankings are more than 20 players, and he is not where he wants to be yet, which is in the top 10 and standing on the Olympic podium.

However, his success has brought further obstacles as more illustrious opponents are now wary of him, while lower-ranked players are keen to beat badminton's latest rising star.

Loh, whose Instagram followers have doubled to 150,000, said: "I know it comes with the territory. This is something I wanted, so I have to be ready for it.

"While I'm happy with the string of good results because it shows that I have managed to add consistency to my game this year, I know I still have to improve on my court fitness and continue working hard on different elements and sharpen physically and mentally if I want to keep winning tournaments.

"Even as I become a higher-ranked favourite in some matches, I aim to justify that tag and continue to do Singapore proud."

More On This Topic
    ST Singaporean of the Year 2021: Nominees and their contributions to society
    ST Singaporean of the Year nominee: People looked at mental health advocate as if she was crazy

SINGAPOREAN OF THE YEARBADMINTONLOH KEAN YEWSINGAPOREAN OF THE YEAR 2021

Anks likes this.
  11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore's Loh Kean Yew is badminton world champion
    1 of 6
    [​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew's breakthrough will easily rank among Singapore's greatest sporting feats. PHOTO: AFP
    [​IMG]

David Lee
    UPDATED

3 HOURS AGO

SINGAPORE - History took 43 hectic minutes, two games and 78 points. At the end of it, unseeded national shuttler Loh Kean Yew stunned the badminton world by becoming the first Singaporean to win the World Championships.

On Sunday (Dec 19), the Singaporean world No. 22 upset India's world No. 14 Srikanth Kidambi 21-15, 22-20 in the final in Huelva, Spain.

On the final point, when a push to the back court landed in, Loh sank to his knees but ascended into sporting legend.

In a single, inspired week he has crafted one of the greatest moments in this nation's sporting folklore.

And few would know he did it on one good ankle.

The 24-year-old rolled his right ankle while trying to save a shuttle in Friday’s quarter-final win over India’s Prannoy H. S. and was wheelchair-bound after beating Denmark’s Anders Antonsen in the semi-final on Saturday.

He told The Straits Times: “I thought I was finished because it hurt like hell, and I couldn’t walk. But I told myself to push through the pain and go all out in the final, and coped with ice and some treatment, and it paid off.

“I’m super, super happy. This feels like a dream, and now it’s a dream come true. I grew up watching Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei playing such big finals and now I’m here as the world champion. It’s unbelievable.

“I’m honoured to deliver this first gold for Singapore. I know many Singaporeans have been staying up to follow my progress, and I want to thank everyone for their support and for being a huge motivation.

"I feel I have improved over the past few months, but I still have a long way to go to be where I want to be, and I will continue to work hard to be even better as I chase my dream of winning an Olympic medal for Singapore."

Since the competition's inception in 1977, only four countries - China, Indonesia, Denmark and Japan - have won gold in the men's singles, and now the Republic has one of its own.

In the final, Loh displayed courage and composure despite his injury. He was 9-3 down in the opening frame but roared back. At 12-12, he flung himself to the ground to retrieve a smash and bounced right up for the kill. From that moment, he never looked back.

The second game followed a similar vein and Kidambi was up 18-16, but the underdog was relentless in his quest to become world champion, and did so after winning his third match point.

[​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew was wheelchair-bound as he could not walk after his BWF World Championship semi-final win over Denmark's Anders Antonsen. PHOTO: LOH KEAN YEW
    In the other finals, China's world No. 3 pair of Chen Qingchen and Jia Yifan beat fourth-ranked South Koreans Lee So-hee and Shin Seung-chan 21-16, 21-17 to add to their 2017 women's doubles world title.

Elsewhere, there were new world champions as Japan's world No. 3 Akane Yamaguchi beat Chinese Taipei's top-ranked Tai Tzu-ying 21-14, 21-11 in the women's singles final.

In the men's doubles final, Japan's world No. 4 Takuro Hoki and Yugo Kobayashi beat China's 24th-ranked He Jiting and Tan Qiang 21-12, 21-18, and in the mixed doubles final, Thailand's world No. 1 Dechapol Puavaranukroh and Sapsiree Taerattanachai beat Japan's world No. 4 Yuta Watanabe and Arisa Higashino 21-13, 21-14.

But for Singapore badminton, it has been more than a decade since it has made ripples of some magnitude on the international stage.

Loh's breakthrough will easily rank among Singapore's greatest sporting feats, which include swimmer Joseph Schooling's 100m butterfly gold at the Rio Olympics in 2016, as well as Feng Tianwei, Wang Yuegu, Sun Beibei, Li Jiawei and Yu Mengyu's "Miracle in Moscow", when they upset mighty China to win the World Team Table Tennis Championships in 2010.

Fu Mingtian claimed the last of the nation's three SEA Games golds when she won the women's singles in 2011, while Li Li remains its only Commonwealth Games champion after winning the women's singles in 2002.

Further back, the late Wong Peng Soon won the last of his four All England titles in 1955.

Singapore President Halimah led the plaudits as she congratulated Loh in a Facebook post, and wrote: “Thank you for flying the Singapore flag high, by dint of sheer hard work and perseverance. We are all proud of you.”

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
    From Ang Mo Kio to Penang, Loh Kean Yew's family cheers youngest on at world champs
    Thanks Loh Kean Yew for a wild ride we'll never forget
    Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong added: “Well done, Kean Yew! You do Singapore proud. Looking forward to your next success!”

Carving his place among badminton’s elite, Loh has beaten six out of the world’s top 10 players in the past three months.

[​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew celebrating moments after beating India's Srikanth Kidambi at the World Championships in Huelva on Dec 19, 2021. PHOTO: AFP
    At these World Championships, he stunned Denmark's world No. 1 and Olympic champion Viktor Axelsen in the opening round and world No. 3 Anders Antonsen in the semi-finals.

Besides capturing the Dutch Open and Hylo Open titles, he also claimed the scalps of Japan's then-world No. 1 Kento Momota (Indonesia Open), Malaysia's world No. 7 and All England champion Lee Zii Jia (French Open) and Chinese Taipei's world No. 4 Chou Tien-chen (Hylo Open).

[​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew's brother Kean Hean (top left) and his friends celebrate Kean Yew's win from Singapore. ST PHOTO: LIM YAOHUI
    Loh's meteoric rise caps a tremendous year for Singapore sport, as it continues to punch above its weight on the international stage.

Swimmer Yip Pin Xiu won two golds at the Aug 24-Sept 5 Tokyo Paralympics, pool pro Aloysius Yapp reached the summit of the world rankings in October, and bowler Shayna Ng clinched a historic women's singles world championship title in November.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
    Five big moments in Singapore sports
    Badminton: 10 things to know about Singapore ace Loh Kean Yew

#1211 Loh, Dec 20, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    Simeon and Anks like this.
  12. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

Deleted

#1212 tbgoh288, Dec 20, 2021
  13. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I meant the duration from one tournament to the next tournament. If he is able to defend this title, then it will be longer.
    Momota's title span was from 2019 to 2021.

Anks likes this.
  14. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Yeah I agree...If theres no lockdown etc we will ttuly see it..for All 2019 World Champions it is just destiny that all of their reign continued for 2 years lol....I hope this virus thing just gets over cause I truly miss going to the stadium to cheer for players.

I hope by next WC everything will be fine and we all badminton fans would be able to watch the matches LIVE in the stadium !

15. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

Anks.. I love your energy, and I don't mean to be rude, but calling others uneducated and then writing something this wrong does not look that good. AE is not a regular tourney. AE was considered the WC from 1899 to 1976 (= a loong time).. until the official WC was introduced in 1977. And I can promise you, you could find players back in the 80's when Prakash played who would rank AE higher than WC because of its history and prestige. And badminton wasn't even at the Olympics back then, so we don't need to talk about that.

(And who cares what professional players we may or may not know?)

rajat_remar, Yoji, hyun007 and 3 others like this.
  16. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Hey Mr Hassefar, I hope you're doing good and found my response in the best of your health and cheerful mood I dont know if you remember me but I remember you very well and my happiness is inexplicable after seeing you.

My respect for you will always be the same and I truly respect your opinion Mr Hassefar,More than responding I feel ecstatic to be seeing you after 2 something years a long time Mr.Hassefar even though its in response to one of my supposed "cynical posts" but still.

#Respect #Nostalgia

#1216 Anks, Dec 20, 2021
  17. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Lcw gonna weep a lot after reading this. Cant sleep. Wakaka. Put this in his thread man. Well written. Saya sokong. ;)

I shd have written lindan or cl analysis on my tips website. Maybe he got the chance. Lol

18. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

It goes both ways. He helped VA take out Momota in Indonesian Open and VA emerged the champion. Should they become WR1 & 2, then maybe they may take turns becoming champions. Who knows?

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
  20. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Momota will lose (exhausted and injured), not just Loh but anyone Momota can meet on the way.

Loh was strong but I don't think he can be become a WR1 & WR2 next year.

In the past, I think Ginting did something better by winning Lin Dan, Chen Long, Viktor, Chou Tien Chen and strongest Momota in final. But, unluckily, it's China Open 1000, not WC.

When you are not a darkhorse anymore, coaches and players from other nations will focus to you and find out a solution.

Generally speaking, you can run so fast, smash so hard and your skill in front the net was so smooth in a tournament, but not the whole year.

fnd80, rhoder, nizze and 3 others like this.