TotalEnergies BWF WORLD Championships 2021 : R/64-Final (12-19 December)

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Dec 11, 2021.

1. Yeung Chao

Yeung Chao Regular Member

Loh Kean Yew needs a top quality sparring partner otherwise he would be forced to always play in tournaments and that will be very bad for him.
    He needs to act like Lin Dan, pick his tournaments "carefully".

To me, as long as he does well in the four events - All England, Asian Games, Commonwealth and Olympic Games, he is already a legend in his own rights because he will be pioneer in Singapore badminton frontier.

2. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

Jeez, loh just have his first big deal. Legend? Which tourney to chose? What should he win? First, just do it good in the next tourney

3. Yeung Chao

Who cares so much about winning SS or World Tours? As long as you win the big ones that matter, Loh KY is already a legend in the eyes of Singaporean badminton fans. What he has achieved or will achieve more in the future is unprecedented for a country that does not give two sh*ts about sporting achievements. He will spur more interests in young kids in Singapore to pick up their racquets and play more.

Sure he won't be close to Lin Dan or Lee Chong Wei but he has good years ahead of him to make a household name for himself.

Gigabit, hyun007 and extremenanopowe like this.
  4. vozer here

Again. He just won the first big deal at 24. Stop talking like his career nearly end

arjevo and EastDevil like this.
  5. Yeung Chao

I am not responsible for your assumptions. Who said his career is gonna end?
    As long as he focus on the big important ones in the next few years and do well. That's what i hope to see from him.
    He will be legend in his own right.
    I am done responding to you.

6. vozer here

talking like... # saying ""

7. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Alright alright - when I said better player I meant really something like man of the match or driver of the day.

This doesn't necessarily goes to the winner.

8. r1cky_b3cks

r1cky_b3cks Regular Member

oh man, he never thank VA during this post-match interview ;)

9. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Kudos to LKY.
    If I were him, I would withdraw when I see the draw. 1st round against VA.
    LKY had the believe to win, here's the difference between him and me.

hyun007 likes this.
  10. Yeung Chao

I think LKY will struggle playing opponents who are "unpredictable" so it is best that he avoid playing against Kento Momota, Lee Zii Jia and Ginting at early rounds.

Against technical players like VA, AA...he will have a good entertaining match.

He needs to improve his ranking points to prepare himself for next bigger events and avoid meeting top seeded players in first/second rounds.

As world champion, he is now a marked man and I am sure the CBA team is keeping an eye on him and creating special training programme for the Chinese players to beat him.

11. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    From my Malaysian friend perspective. Frogs and Chopstick issues country. Sad.

More sportsmen women will chabut to spore.

Singapore already olympic gold , already badminton world champion while Msia sacking players then asking players to come back , tweaking with coaches , bloated association , and dismal results !

Malusia
    Malas- sia
    Mahaisia
    Marah- sia

LKY won world champen
    LZJ won a 50 cent coin blister
    Msia boleh !!!!

Scientist , drs , professors , engineers , researches , and many others sudah lari

Even extreme-power.org owner raising Singapore badminton standard.

What hurts most was when LKY pointed finger at his chest the flag which was not from my country ! ;)

Gigabit and hyun007 like this.
  12. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

- JAPAN WINS 2, SINGAPORE HISTORY IN HUELVA -

MS1.jpg
    Singapore joins badminton nations to bag gold medal in prestigious World Championships. The fast improved Loh Kean Yew proves he's the one to watch out for Paris OG 2024, not exaggeratd with current World Champion, his trajectory to top podium here has rocky road, at the beginning one few badminton fans perhaps thought he could passed the Olympic Champion and overwhelming favorite in this tournament Viktor Axelsen that boost his confidence to clear next hurdles including final opponent Kidambi Srikanth after had perfect start, 9-3 in opening game then crucial stages, 18-16, 20-all of second game but too bad his unforced errors and fatal misjudgement at back line dejected his best effort to claim gold medal. Srikanth showed his best and good tactical play, changing pace to do more rallies combined with terrific net play and nice placement that troubling the Singaporean, when Loh retune fine rhythm and increase the speed, it became reversal of fortune for the Indian. Overall, it's entertaining yet thrilling MS final and Loh KY is really well deserved new World Champion.

WS.jpg
    An anticlimactic WS final, the unexpected one way traffic fashion, a below par performance by world number one Tai TY, her footwork looked so heavy, something wrong on her right thigh as she asked medical treatment post first game completion. Yamaguchi steady play and stayed composed throughout the match really delivered tough times for Taiwanese star who totally blank and displayed terrible performance, tons of errors, her majestic shots didn't appear as she has not enough time to set up the deceptive shots as World number one less prefers to play quick and fast game. A search for major event title still continues for Tai Tzu Ying, two silver medals through Tokyo Olympics & Huelva World Championships, just wondering whether she will stay on competition or call quit from international tournament after this.

XD.jpg
    In doubles categories, all went to the script, Bas/Popor who transforming themselves into superior form redeem their quarterfinal defeat in Tokyo to capture gold and become second World Champion from Thailand after Ratchanok Intanon huge surprise in Guangzhou 2013. The Thai duo dictated from the beginning of match and Watanabe/Higashino still can't crack the code of their arch-rivals after swallowed tame defeat in last two tournaments prior to this event. Both finalists upgrade their color of medal amid the absence of Wang/Huang and Zheng/Huang premature ousted.

WD.jpg
    Chen QC/Jia YF regain 2017 WD crown and save China from titleless nightmare that illustrating this badminton powerhouse has serious problem and struggling a lot, once very dominant in last decade World Championships as they created clean-sweep for two consecutive editions in Paris 2010 & London 2011 but declining gradually after golden era players retired. A formidable top-seeds relatively have no major ordeal to overcome Lee SH/Shin SC, thanks to relentless fierce attacking shots and Chen QC clever play to move all around and covering a not so good Jia YF.

MD.jpg
    First MD World Champions for Japan, the tremendous-developed Hoki/Kobayashi outmaneuvered younger opponents He JT/Tan Q who beat them five times previously but didn't represented what supposed to be, quite different level of play that suspecting the Chinese duo are stuck and only little improved, minimum competition to taking part to polish the skill and experience maybe contribute big cause, kinda dilemma for China, they're more and more difficult to gauge players performance if they only using domestic event and very picky to choose international tournaments.

Well, the last tournament in 2021 has been ended when major events gathering in 12 month, the unprecedented and perhaps never happen again in future...See you again in January 2022, Merry Xmas & Happy New Year everyone :)

stanleyfm, Kowalski, intrepid and 8 others like this.
  13. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Very nice photos.
    All looked like family photos but the WS's one, TTY looked happier than AY.

@CLELY . Merry Christmas and Happy New Year too. May 2022 be better than 2021.

CLELY likes this.
  14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Not quite true. We established the Singapore Sports School to encourage young athletes to excel in their chosen sport and at the same to allow them to achieve an academic equivalent of the "O" levels (or secondary school level) so that the graduates can pursue higher education later in life. Of course, LKY is the most famous product of our SSS, but many of our national athletes hailed from the same institution.

On top of that our government is perhaps the most generous in the world for rewarding athletes, including para-athletes, who bring glory to Singapore, such as the Olympics (S$1 million for gold), Asian Games, Commonwealth Games, Southeast Asian Games, etc.

Furthermore, athletes have regularly been sent overseas for competitions and training. The really good ones are given scholarships to study in good universities overseas. Most beneficiaries of such scholarships are the swimmers who were usually sent to the US. Our only Olympic gold medal winner for the Butterfly event, Joseph Schooling, is a good example.

As for being close to LD or LCW, I would not discount LKY's future performance on whether he is good enough. In any case, LKY has beaten LD at the Thailand Masters 2019. Whether LD has passed his prime is not the issue. He competed because he thought he could win. I believe in the motto "The best is yet to be". That's why Olympic and World records, which have stood still for many years can also be broken.

Cheung, EastDevil, lodoss and 2 others like this.
  15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    What is the reward for a World Champion? I believe Commonwealth and SEA titles are easier to achieve than World title.

Yes, LD's head to head with LKY is negative 1.

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    This is a new case for Singapore. As you know, we never had a World Champion before in badminton although we have a number of these achievements in other sports, including Bowling, Table-tennis, Martial Arts, etc.

Is there a financial reward at this World Championships? I may be wrong but I don't see any from the BWF, which is somehow an anomaly since the other SS events have prize monies.

But I believe our government and the private sector will come up with something to reward LKY for his fantastic achievement.

Cheung and Anks like this.
  17. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    Its only those Indians who are uneducated in Badminton who have neither the background nor know any professional badminton players personally who give importance to AE.

Also one reason for that could be because they only know one player of theirs that is Prakash Padukone who ever won this exotic England tittle back in the day when no one in India even knew it and for this cricket savy nation that was a big deal...I mean nothing to take away from Mr.Prakash but in all honesty he wasnt as good as say Mr Morten frost who has 2 WC Silvers...but then Indians had never heard of WC back then cause their then best player never had reached the Biggest finals...So I dont blame the majority of Indian people...Thankfully the Indians now like me are educated,well researched and irrespective of nationality give credit to players who truly are LEGENDS or GOATS.

As someone who knows a WC Bronze Medalist and his father their dream is only WC/OLY.I mean it would be great to win a normal regular tourny like AE but definitely not worth giving your all and take injuries...Your "Give all Tournaments" are only WC/OLY and Im glad LKY did just that and thats why he is now in the history books forever !

Im an Indian and for me WC/OLY is a tournament that could turn regular players into LEGENDS because by winning either these two you have proved yourself the BEST IN YOUR SPORT.

18. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

He rolled his ankle against Prannoy. There was a picture of him in a wheelchair, most probably the night after against AA.

Justin L, Loh and Anks like this.
  19. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Thats why I didnt even consider it for a response.

MAJORS = OLYMPICS /WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

20. Anks

Anks Regular Member

He should be given awarded and showered with it he totaly deserves it.

BWF doesnt offer any prize money for the Biggest tournaments of Badminton ( WC/OLY ) but the gov and private sector can and should shower their heroes with money.

One example is PV Sindhu,she may not have earned that much from BWF but her net worth is higher than TTY...she is the richest Badminton Female player ON EARTH due to GOV Prize money/ Private sponsorships.

its time SG shows the same amount of respect and love as he has brought to SG...this brave young man gave his all even incurred injuries just so that he could see his flag flying high !

LKY deserves all the money and I hope SG doesnt disappoint him...Enjoy Singapore you are WORLD CHAMPIONS !!

CONGRATS !!

Cheung, galaxyduo and Loh like this.