TotalEnergies BWF WORLD Championships 2021 : R/64-Final (12-19 December)

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Dec 11, 2021.

1. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    I always feel silver medalists feel the worst and the most upset especially at WC and OLY the biggest tournaments.

The reason for this is that Silver is not won its sort of given as a consolation prize whereas the Bronze medalist and Gold medalists are happiest because they have earned those medals after defeating their opponents and didnt get it after losing a match.

I was hoping for TTY to win this WC because I thought she didnt play since OLY and had so much rest and time to prepare but I guess she just doesnt have that "Thing" to handle pressure at these Big ones.

WhiteStringJunkie likes this.
  2. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

Its just different personal gesture

rajat_remar and Anks like this.
  3. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Well, TTY already won AG and AllEngland. Those are majors. Hard to say the oldest tournament isnt Major while the younger tournament is played every year as well is.

4. Maurice MJC

Maurice MJC Regular Member

I don't think that is true at all, this is the face of yamaguchi you see in front of the cameras, very shy and reserved, but she definitely feels a lot of emotions inside and cares about her losses and wins, as much as any other players (the way she externalizes them is simply different). I remember seeing back-stage video after her loss in the Rio Olympics, and she was litterally crying. Same after the infamous sudirman cup loss against Chen Yufei in 2019, where she posted an apology on her twitter account after PJB blamed her specifically as the reason for their loss (the fact that Momota had to come on court with a lot of pressure).

You can also see in tiktoks/ short videos with her teammates, that she seems to be actually a pretty goofy and playful character.

I think she has also played a whole ton of badminton these last few weeks and couldn't help but feeling almost relieved that it was over, one way or another, but she is definitely very happy about this ! :)

5. William Dipkin

William Dipkin New Member

Tai’s thighs seems to have some problems in the game. Usually she goes for every shot that her opponent plays but today she gave up some of them. Gill Clark also noticed that. Really sad about it cuz it’s prob her best chance to win the WC title. Congrats to AG, amazing performance.

6. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

Reactions After Winning WC Gold

Every other player in the world:
    “YEEEEEAAAAASSS!!!” (x2-10)

Akane Yamaguchi:
    “Ok, the match has ended. Is it ok to leave now?”

: )

wjsutanto, arjevo, It'sMeMeMe and 6 others like this.
  7. Maurice MJC

Maurice MJC Regular Member

She definitely did not seem a 100% physically; something about her tigh seemingly. But yeah this is not surprising after a full week of tournament. Akane herself has been struggling with her right heel it seems, with a tons of strapping which she removed after the break in G1 in both SF and Final.

hyun007 likes this.
  8. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Its realy a shame if a player cant even win their sports Biggest tittle...but then for some probably Even CWG,EG,AG are Majors but for me these are just regional games theres a reason why no points are awarded for such games.

9. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

No. 2017 was her best chance to win the WC title. She was unstoppable in 2017 and there was a huge gap between TTY and the rest of the field. She was winning Super Series after Super Series, with ease in 2017. Plus, no player or coach had figured out TTY's game and weaknesses in 2017. And TTY was simply faster and fitter in 2017, because she was also 4 years younger.

But she skipped the 2017 WC to play in the Taiwan Universaide, despite the fact that many of her Taiwan teammates decided to play in the 2017 WC and not the Taiwan Universaide. The rest is history.

Anks likes this.
  10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I disagree, Loh Kean Yew wasn't at his best on Final's day but it was still good enough to beat Srikanth at his best. In other words, had LKY played as he did en route to the final, it'd probably be a more convincing two straight-set victory.

You just have to look at how he won all his previous rounds matches, starting with Viktor Axelsen, followed by Luka Wraber, Kantaphon Wangcharoen, H S Prannoy, and then Anders Antonsen, to get a clearer, fuller picture. In the final round match with Srikanth, I felt that he didn't let himself go and play freely, probably affected somewhat by nerves and the enormity of the occasion getting onto him, i.e. it suddenly dawned on him that the world title is within grasp, his maiden appearance in the final of a world championship.

Still, he was brilliant now and then, constantly reminding himself to stay calm, and pulling himself together to perform to his standard. In the end, it was just enough to deliver when it mattered.

Anyway, let the future tell who is the the better player, or rather, we should be more interested to know who is the best player going forward.

11. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

definitely think AG is majors otherwise CHN and JPN wouldnt have worke hard to win the bid and build all the new infrastructures. If its important enough then yes. In any case, they are the one that spent the money and i agree on their spendings.

12. Anks

Anks Regular Member

I 100% agree on this with you it was 2017 that was her best chance and this 2021 was possibly her LAST CHANCE of getting that MAJOR TITTLE that has always eluded her...I feel a World Tittle would have compensated for her OLY Silver but her game is now very predictable.

As I said earlier she has now become a victim of her own deception where younger girls have now read her game and they know exactly how to tackle her this is why we see now TTY is often taken to 3 sets by lower ranked players too.

With younger girls like AY,ASY,CYF,PC coming up I dont see TTY getting that BIG Tittle.

galaxyduo likes this.
  13. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Akane Yamaguchi drummed TTY !? Wow.
    THe scoreline suggests Akane was on fire.

14. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    Big respect SK for taking so many points with those legs from yesterday

Anks and Sumanth99 like this.
  15. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Loh's game is modelled with his fast paced shots with powerful smashes. I wonder will he continue to perform in that way. That will be harmful to his physique and will lead to injuries.
    But have to congratulate him for his recent success. Next year will be interesting . I am eagerly waiting for NEXT year tournaments.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well said, couldn't agree with you more.

Except that I won't say it's mostly due to unforced errors on Srikanth's part, as he was well aware of what LKY is capable of and what he must do to beat him, hence he had to push himself to the limit, going for the lines, playing the tightest net shots, and doing a little extra, hence a number of errors were what I would consider forced on him by his opponent's capability - witness LKY's amazing retrievals of those near-impossible shots a la Chen Long, his remarkable speed of movement a la Ginting and Lee CW, and his attacking prowess among the very best in the circuit.

17. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    2/5... 40%... if this was baseball i'd be the goat!

18. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Now the tournament is over, no more tournaments for some time (when is the next one?). Getting back to normal non tournament life sucks :confused::p

Kowalski likes this.
  19. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Let players have time to recover ^-^

Poor them because 2022 schedule is quite terrible

Woesi likes this.
  20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The question is how long can all these recent new stars maintain their level at the top ? - so far, none even as long as Chen Long's reign, let alone Lee CW's, much less The GOAT Lin Dan's.

So, let's not get carried away but continue to observe the world scene for a few more years before we draw any reliable conclusions that can stand the test of time.

WhiteStringJunkie likes this.