Badminton Central Guide to Stringing Tools

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Apr 10, 2012.

1. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I just got a tool from Yonex AC620BC is it similar? I wanted to try it but not sure what to use it for? I usually use a grommet grinder to turn or remove grommets, is this used for used grommets to help turn? Didn't work very well =([​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

2. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

kwun likes this.
  3. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

My other nippers are Fujiya Mini Tech Light Nipper MTN03-135 I bought them for about ¥1200[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

kwun likes this.
  4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Gundam side cutters are awesome. they all cut like butter. and in Japan you have no shortage of them. Jealous.

How's the Fujiya? Many of these Japanese branded tools are made by same OEM. The Fujiya seems to be the same as Hakko which is dirt cheap over here. After the wife and kids started stringing someone managed to damage my old cutter so I am looking for replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-CHP-170-Micro-Cutter/dp/B00FZPDG1K

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Are the 3 peaks worth their price? Issue I have is that while I look after the tools the wife/kids using the machine don't. So may not be worth it to get such nice tools when ppl don't take care of them.

I just noticed the Xuron cutters have increased in price. my previous one lasted 8 years which is not bad.

There are so many more cutter available now. Most seems to be made with cheap material and they either get nicked or break. Even the venerable "God Hands" cutter treasured by Gundam builders also have breakage issues.

kakinami likes this.
  6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  8. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I dont think they are what I need just want to try a pair of over priced nippers. I also want to have an oval tip instead of sharp tip. The big ass screw in the middle also makes them have a more bad ass look to them as well as the plastic spring which look like the Yonex tool, which are probably 3 Peaks tools anyhow =)

9. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I've upgraded my pliers to curved jewelry pliers. I definitely prefer them! You can get a good grip with the meaty part when there's space, and where there isn't the curve helps to reach awkward bits.

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

#109 DuckFeet, Nov 17, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    kakinami likes this.
  10. khoai

khoai Regular Member

I used to have a Xuron from Kwun's recommendation. One day it broke and I needed one quickly so ended up ordering a Hakko micro cutter, best seller on Amazon with nearly 17k reviews. Made in Italy and dirt cheap. Works and feels much better than Xuron, cuts anything like butter, and very precise too.

https://smile.amazon.com/Hakko-CHP-170-Micro-Cutter/dp/B00FZPDG1K/

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    So cheap. I already ordered the cheaper godhand and the tsunoda to try. I guess never hurt to have more cutters at home.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Received both the cheaper GodHand and the Hakko.

Handling:
    The Godhands while being the more expensive one, feels cheaper. The grip is thinner and the action is not smooth.
    The Hakko feels really good. The grip is quite substantial and while only costing less than USD8. Feels very smooth and definitely more than what it costs.

Cutting:

The Godhand is very sharp, buttery sharp, it will cut through the string with ease.
    The Hakko less so, there is a bit more squeezing action that forces the blade into the string. This is not desirable as it will create a notch when cutting the string diagonally which sometimes causes problem threading into single string grommets.

Unfortunately both of them have the same issue. They are flush cutters and that has some very strict build quality requirement. The 2 blades need to be sharp, straight, and when closed, need to align perfectly. For them, neither of them are perfectly flushed and aligned over the top 1/4 of the blade, where it is closer to the tip.

I think these will work very well when cutting thin copper wires which they are designed for. However, cutting badminton strings is much more difficult as there are hundreds of micro-fiber strands which requires a much higher quality cutter to make a buttery smooth cut.

Still waiting for the Tsunoda.

#112 kwun, Nov 18, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  13. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Got my box from diyfactory.jp I ordered a pair of 3 Peaks SN-130 ¥4448 precision nippers and a pair of Fujiya MP9AT110 bent short nose pliers ¥1889. The cutters hardness of the blade was rates at 62-67, most others I saw were 57-62 and the big ass bolt in the center made them look super strong. They were rated to cut .5mm piano wire, .5mm steel wire, 3.2mm copper wire and did pretty good with .63mm badminton string and 1.25mm tennis string. My other mini bent nose pliers I usually get for about ¥400 and the springs wear out or break, so I went with a real spring pair of pliers, a little disappointed they are not MIJ pliers, but feel pretty good. The cutters do have a little weight to them the package says 90g, I have a pair of Fujiya Mini Tech Light nippers and the package says they are 65g, I can feel the difference. Way over priced but fun to have. Free shipping when you spend ¥5000 in Japan only I think.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I just ordered these. I like the spring, maybe a little too wide but spring is nice. 110mm nice and compact.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

kwun likes this.
  15. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I'll be interested to read what you think of the curved vs straight.
    I've just ordered the nippers as puctured. So far so good. Very sharp and smooth action but only made about 10 cuts so far. Upgraded from the Xuron which I've had maybe 3 or 4 years.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

kwun likes this.
  16. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    [​IMG]
    Knipex 7881125
    I thought these are already well known at BC:cool:.
    Not exactly cheap but for 15-20€ you get really excellent quality.
    Not sure about the availability in you region but I expect them to sell globally.

s_mair and kwun like this.
  17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I am sticking to my Xuron straight needle nose pliers with serrated teeth. It is not the most solid feel but the serrated teeth can grab a string with less than 1mm protrusion blocked with a string. pretty amazing and never failed me in so many years.

18. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I have the same one ever since I’ve started stringing. Still sharp as hell and smooth as silk.

kwun and endFX like this.
  19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

You mean this one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006N73BU/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_a_FT6HDG3273D05F44KP73?psc=1

Cause that one too was one of my first purchases when I started. Truely nothing I would like to change about it.

kwun likes this.
  20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    kakinami likes this.