Can somebody give me an overview of all the different Super Stringers?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by RPie, Nov 17, 2021.

1. RPie

RPie New Member

These forums seem to love Super Stingers, but I can't seem to make heads or tails or the differences. I look up something, say the T15 -- and the very first line in the description states, "Same machine as the T20, only the T10 machine has normal pliers base (plier base) in contrast to the T20 which has semi-automatic pliers bottoms.", which just makes me even more confused, as I am not looking at the T10 or T20, but the T15...

Anyways... the main mixup I have is with understanding which variants have manual clamp bases and which have semi-automatic clamp bases, -- and which ones have manual clamps and which ones have semi-automatic clamps.

I really have a very vague idea of what I want... been looking at the S70, S90, T12, T15, T70, and T80...

UkPlayer likes this.
  2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

It's not that difficult tbh. Just look closely at the pictures and focus on two main things:
    - overall machine and turntable design
    - main and side support adjustments
    - clamp bases

For example, the T12 and T15 are the same base machine. The T12 has the manual clamp bases (no release button visible), the T15 has the semi-automatic clamp bases (which are clearly worth the extra price!). Both have individually adjustable main and side supports.

T70 and T80 have slight differences in the turntable with the T80 having straight main towers. Which makes it easier to move the clamps very close to the top of the frame and to be able to clamp the first string at the top. The angled main towers of the T70 made it necessary to either double pull the top two strings or to use a flying clamp on some rackets. First time I see the T80, really like that improvement! Both have symmetrically adjustable main and side supports.

S70 and S90 are completely different machines, both are badminton only machines with a significantly smaller turntable. S90 has the semi automatic bases and side supports that are adjusted with a single knob per side whereas the S70 has individual side support adjustment.

And then it's basically up to your wish list and budget. So you should try to make a list for yourself, which features you really want to have and then go and check out which machine offers them. Overall quality and "bang for the buck" value of the Super Stringers is still hard to beat imo.

DarthHowie, thyrif, UkPlayer and 3 others like this.
  3. RPie

RPie New Member

Ok, I think I understand most of the differences now. So, that narrowed my choice down to either the T15 or S90.

T15 seems like the obvious choice as it is significantly less expensive, works on all rackets, and is upgradable to electric. Meanwhile the only stated befit to the S90 is that it has a "Semi-automatic pliers base" instead of "The pliers base with quick release".

Mind explaining what that is and if they have a significant impact? Seems really odd that the S90 is so much more expensive.

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Both come with exactly the same clamps and bases. The only diffence is in semantics. ;)

To be fair, both machines can later be upgraded with the WISE electronic tensioner. One noticeable advantage of the S90 is that the side supports are symmetrically moved with a single knob per side whereas you have to adjust all four of them seperately on the T15. You'll need a couple of seconds longer to mount the racket on the T15, but that's about it.

The advantage of the T15 on the other hand is the bigger turntable which offers you a lot more working space for you hands underneath the racket. And having owned the T20 (direct predecessor of the T15) for about 2 years and having tested the S90 for a couple of jobs, I'd always prefer the T20 (or T15 now...). The S90 has its benefits when you have to operate in a strictly limited space. So personally, if the T70 or T80 were over budget, I'd go with the T15. In green of course! :)

UkPlayer and speCulatius like this.
  5. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I was just about to start a similar thread. I am looking at the s70 since I only want to string badminton rackets and this is good budget wise for me.
    Do I need anything else apart from the tools they supply, seems to cover everything but a starting clamp? Or am I good to go initially?
    Also is it easy to adjust the dropweight to the chosen tension?

6. Brunoille

Brunoille Regular Member

I'd say that a scale is mandatory if you want to control what you do.
    Indeed:
    1/ the sticker with tension indication is not accurately positionned (that is why a calibration is always necessary to determine the right position for the weight at a given tension). For my S70, I consider the sticker at most as informative and I always set the tension with a scale.
    2/ A common idea is that dropweight machines are very accurate once calibrated. That is partially true since most people forget the influence of the gripper! And it does have an influence: its neutral position is vertical (when no momentum is applied). But as soon as the gripper is not vertical anymore, it's momentum has a real influence on your tension (the exception is the round grippers on some Gamma machines for example).
    Empirically, measurements on my S70 showed that the difference of tension between the extreme positions of the gripper is around + or - 0.5 kg.
    Of course the smaller the tension is, the bigger the influence of the gripper is.

UkPlayer likes this.
  7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

S70 is a decent machine. Although I would spend the extra 50 bucks and get the T15 instead. The bigger turntable, and better clamp bases are clearly worth the extra money.
    In terms of tools, I'd go even further and say that you don't need anything else to start. You can (ab-)use the flying clamps as starting clamps and buy a starting clamp later on. A cheap luggage scale is good to check the initial calibration and see if the sticker shows the correct weight or if it needs to be moved. Good thing about drop weights is that once the calibration is adjusted corretly, it will never change again.

Stringing on a drop weight clearly needs some practise but once you got the hang of it, it's not difficult. Just make sure that the lever is in balance close to horizontal (+-10° are fully acceptable) and NEVER EVER push the lever down with your hand.
    You can produce very, very consistent results on a drop weight though.

thyrif and UkPlayer like this.
  8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Dropweight is more consistent than a crank, if anything, because it "self-adjusts" while you faff around with your clamps; a crank starts to bleed tension the moment it locks, and the longer you take to get your clamp on, the more it loses.

DarthHowie, UkPlayer and s_mair like this.
  9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

This. Drop weight is constant pull while a crank locks out.

10. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Import tax can add 50% to the price. thanks brexit :( I think the s70 still works out as the best for me as the uk options don't seem that great.

11. Tabatchu

Tabatchu Regular Member

I have the T15 bought from tennis man.de
    Best bang for the buck machine!

12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

According to https://www.gov.uk/vat-rates, it’s 20% VAT and maybe 2.5% customs. Not great, not terrible.

13. Andy Ngo

Andy Ngo New Member

Hi s_mair, thank you for all the info and details you provided. Can I ask another question?

Between the s70 and the T15. So the T15 can do both tennis/badminton so the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock clamp piece are the thin ones while the s70 has like the load spreader already install for badminton for it. If I were to get T15 do I need to change out the 12-6 o clock piece to do badminton rackets? I am going to predominately do badminton rackets, so would getting a specialized machine be better?

TIA!

14. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    2.5% is just what dhl charges for handling the paperwork, the customs charge can be up to 25% and it's also subject to VAT so worst case is 52.5%. I am trying to get the details from the courier as it's not the retailers responsibility. If it's quite low I may go for the t15 although I prefer the smaller size/weight of the s70 as well, we do not have much space in the uk either :D

#14 UkPlayer, Nov 19, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  15. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

There are load spreaders that you place in between the racket and the 12/6 o clock supports. Just Google some pictures, I'm sure you'll get it.

s_mair likes this.