Li Ning No. 1 String - Anyone using it?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Charlie-SWUK, Aug 20, 2015.

1. LoaS

LoaS Regular Member

The tension drop of LN1 will be the same in an hybrid. The tension drop of the other string used in the hybrid will likely be different and the resulting feel of the stringbed will also be different than a full bed of LN1. I use BG80/LN1 hybrid frequently and pull the LN1 2 or 3 lb tighter so that the stringbed end up at the desired feel after the initial drop.

Signature likes this.
  2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    At what tournaments do you play? The 24 hours on court of Le Mans? I'm a very picky player in terms of tension and performance of a string and cut BG80 (for many the benchmark of tension retention) every 2-3 weeks (9-13.5 hours on court with the same racket) in the past. With No.1 I restring every 3-4 weeks (13.5-18 hours on court with the same racket). IMO a complete exaggeration. I was at every tournament maximum 6 hours and below on court (e.g. 3 group games, QF, SF, F if I didn't dropped out before). If you don't get a constant performance with No.1 in a time window of 6 hours with 2-3 rackets which you normally bring to a tournament you won't get happy with any other string or hybrid. trust me I used most of them all except the real thin ones.

s_mair likes this.
  3. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    So if somebody string additional 2 lbs on cross on uniform jobs, he should add 4-5lbs on the cross of a hybrid? Totally nuts. @s_mair now we need the tension loss curve from BG80 and No.1 in 2 SW36. This isn't a problem for you, right?;)

s_mair likes this.
  4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I need to organise those two rackets again since I’ve given them back to the owner after the first set of experiments. But seriously, I was having the exact same thoughts here.

After the last experiments, I’m more than ever suspicious when an unproven fact like „xy loses sooo much tension!“ is passed on and on and becomes a universally believed truth.

ucantseeme likes this.
  5. Signature

Signature Regular Member

LOL, no le mans as of now but I can get around 14 games in a tournament (3 pool games, 1/8th, 1/4th SF and F) in both MD and XD. Since I dont string my rackets myself it's hard for me both monetarily and availability wise to get all restrung to tournament day. I will try to be better at getting them restrung closer to comp! Also hard to know exactly how much tension I lose in my strings/ to how much tension I gain in my mind, I'll do a sound test before and after a tournament next time.

Side note regarding rackets, I do have 4 rackets but was caught off guard as one was strung with exbolt for testing sake and another snapped the string in the first game :oops:

Really looking forward to the results of this! :D

6. LoaS

LoaS Regular Member

I listened to a Q&A by Tim Willis the other day and he said they do +10% as a standard in the yonex team and would round up the tension if the machine doesn't do small increments. So a 33lb job would have +4lb on the cross strings ..... I find that quite extreme. I normally do square tensions with @s_mair modified pattern on my rackets but find that I need to add ~+10% on the cross when stringing an hybrid to keep the head shape.

7. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Isn't @s_mair doing 1 piece and haribito? There is no reason on a hybrid to string cross tighter than usual. On Hybrids the cross string is thinner and not rougher than the main. Trust me, I tried hybrids on badminton long before any aerobite was on the marktet. How should there be more friction to need more on the cross campared to a uniform BG80 job? Don't make any sense and the 10% of Tim Willis Q&A is not necessary as BC agreed. Most strings will drop around 60Hz to 80Hz in the first few days. IMO no need to compensate anything for hybrids in badminton which you normally don't do.

8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

And here we go again… I’m so easy to manipulate.

[​IMG]

speCulatius and Rimano like this.
  9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    unless you have the same machine, someone else's tensioning pattern should have no relation to your tensioning pattern.

on the hybrid stringing, if you have 2 strings that have different tension loss rate, then it should be apparent that they should not be used together in hybrid.

10. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I've been pretty much out of the game since covid hit, I'm surprised to see people are still enjoying LN1. I'd tried some of their older strings like NS95, and that was a big 'no thank you'. Up until I all but stopped playing thanks to lockdowns and risk factors, I was still very much enjoying BG80 with LN1 crosses.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    can LN1 still be found? I don't see anyone selling it.

12. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

MyBadmintonStore sells them.

I'm also still enjoying the bg80/LN1 hybrid. Before I was always experimenting, looking for something better, but I feel like this gives me everything I want from my strings.

13. Signature

Signature Regular Member

What? Just checked mbs, e78, yumo etc. and all carries it o_O

14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Heck, you can even find it in a number of online shops in Germany.

I haven’t seen anything indicating that Li-Ning is terminating the No.x string family. But fair enough, I don’t even know where to look.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Looks like I am living in a Li-Ning blackhole here in USA. The distributor isn't doing much in terms of getting products to the retailers.

16. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

In that case you could order a few packs of No1 and the new N65 from Asia and give us a detailed comparison between those;)

On a sidenote, I have seen that the NA LN-distributor is already selling quite a few of the current 3DC/AN/TC rackets at reduced prices since they are discontinued, they may be going to introduce the new racket series and also new N61/N65/N... strings (which may be supposed to replace the No.x series)

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Unfortunately these days it is not convenient to order from overseas. With the now infamous backlog in shipping, regular shipping is taking 3 months and to order small quantity using faster shipping method the cost overhead is too much.

18. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
  19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

14 days have passed...

I decided to go for BG80 as reference since that one is widely considered to be less prone to tension loss. Both rackets strung back to back, same pattern, same workflow, same settings and afterwards always stored right next to each other. Storage temperature was between 17°C and 21°C.

upload_2021-11-10_15-36-34.png
    (raw data: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8p61blkqi2jxug/Tension Loss BG80 vs LN1.xlsx?dl=0)

BG80 loses slightly less tension over time. But to put the difference into perspective - we are talking about a difference of consistently around 0.5%, so in fact ~0,13 lbs. between the two. Which is negligable or insignificant at best and which might even be distorted by the fact that both have a different diameter and by nature will feel differently on the racket.

Does No.1 really deserve its reputation of being the big "tension loser"? Based on this experiment: No, it doesn't.

What does make a huge difference in the overall perception is the time that has passed since the actual string job. Both strings show a very steep drop within the first 1-3 days so it will make a huge difference if you take the racket on court right after pulling it off the machine or if you let only pass a day or two. And this has been consistent in all the tension loss experiments that I have done yet.

Speaking of which - I considered adding another data line for the Gosen G-Tone 5 as well with data coming from previous experiments when storage temperatures and humidity was noticeably higher. I decided against it since the loss curve was significantly steeper than both BG80 and LN1 now and my suspicion is that this was mainly due to the different storage conditions.

20. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Thanks for that. :)

I had a few years back the impression that I don't get this extreme tension holding praise of BG80 across BC. I restring since a few years my rackets by performance and gut feeling (no pings anymore) and I didn't got any more time between the jobs regardless if I used BG80, BG80 Power or even No.1, while No.1 was still (according to the gut) 1-2 weeks longer useable for me.