Yonex French Open 2021(26th to 31st October)

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by Jiya, Oct 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

upload_2021-11-1_9-28-7.png

Kanta Tsuneyama creates big breakthrough in his badminton career to outlast more fancied former champion Chou TC, once again new MS champion is emerged in FRA Open after a string of the unseeded players won title in previous editions. Obviously the Japanese has better fitness level than his final rival, good court coverage, solid defense and strong endurance. As we know, several elite players either pulled out or retired in this tournament due to accumulated fatigue and Tsuneyama capitalises this situation well to reach top notch result here. Chou gave up in second game to conserve his energy but unfortunately it's still not enough to halt more composed Tsuneyama for his maiden crown in top tier tournament.

Back to back title for Akane Yamaguchi and Watanabe/Higashino as well in Europe tour. Actually Sayaka Takahashi could balance her younger compatriot quality shots in opening game but inconsistency plus uncharacteristic mistakes denied 29 years old Japanese from victory including last quick three points that awarded Yamaguchi first set winning then a lopsided match in second game displaying former champion domination. WataHiga are unstoppable, take command throughout the match, tough for the Danes to break their rhythm.

Big surprise when world #27 clinched MD title, 2014 World Champions Ko SH/Shin BC still show their heyday quality to beat the more favoured Gideon/Sukamuljo in two middle paced games, nostalgic edition, they're old pair but still good. A big disappointment for Minions who unable to end their title drought since January 2020, they aren't back on finest form yet particularly fast furious fast attacking shots with creative interception. Lee/Shin defend WD title in convincing way as Kim/Kong only put little trouble surprisingly instead on usual fierce fighting.

#761 CLELY, Oct 31, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    It'sMeMeMe, nizze and hybisme like this.
  2. r1cky_b3cks

r1cky_b3cks Regular Member

3. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

Of the top mens doubles pair of 2007 to 2012, I would say Koo- Tan was the weakest in terms of physical condition stamina and mental toughness. And yet any top pair that played them could be wary of their form. They were the Gideon-Kevin of the day albeit less speed. If Fu-Cai , LYD-Jung/ Yoo and Ko-Shin were not around during 2007-2012, Koo-Tan would only have Boe-Morgen and Hendra - Kido/ Ahsan to fight for glory. Koo-Tan would be sharing titles with these two pairs.

We have exactly the said scenario during Gideon-Kevin rise from 2017-2019 where they didnt have many pairs that were equal to their strength and the older pairs that were still around were on their semi retired phase. I would still say Gideon-Kevin were better than Koo-Tan only by a whisker.

stanleyfm, nizze and Baddie lover like this.
  4. wade

wade Regular Member

Koo/tan was pretty underrated, I remember how kido/hendra kept losing against them until they finally get their revenge at the beijing olympics

WhiteStringJunkie likes this.
  5. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Ultimately, better or not, depend on the number of titles they won, prize money they earned and H2H record with their peers. Saying that they are just slightly better, is just like saying Momota/Axelsen wont be winning many titles had LD and LCW still exists.

Of course KooTan had 8SS&9RU in SS + AG is one of the best pairs ever. Its definitely the best Malaysia pair in this century. Its quite sad that their last title was like when they were 23 years old so basically thats the time when they were finished (2010). Winning their 1st 7Finals, Losing their last 7 Finals.

Compared with HendraKido 9SS&5RU, HendraAhsan 12SS+12RU not to mention the WCs + 2 AGs . One can say its also longevity to say who is better or not. Hendra is smart enough to find younger partner.

#765 Yoji, Oct 31, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  6. hybisme

hybisme Regular Member

Happen to watch a match between Kim Gi Jung/Kim Sa Rang and Chai Biao/Hong Wei. Kim Sa Rang is just so crazy talented!! Reactions, skill and he even jump super high.

This cross court defense is super crazy!!

I've a thing for independent players ... I find their passion and determination very admirable. (Imagine funding a "career" which you might not get any "profit", unless you get far enough (QF,SF or Champion))
    From what I understand about GLY and CPS, they're "dropped" by BAM, somehow BAM have no plans for them after their OG Sliver medal. My interpretation is BAM won't send them for competitions or put resources into them. So it's no point staying with them.

I wonder if it's the same for the Korean players.

Attached Files:

7. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

Just watched some of the videos there, yoo is very insightful with his analysis, such a smart player

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

SBC isn't the hardest hitter, either, but he hits harder than LYD and - crucially - places them better than probably any other KOR player.

They are "thunderous" because they hit the floor, and they hit the floor because he aims them right;)

9. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

I made this myself

Do you think that French Open and Denmark Open are two tournaments that "pro" players should have after All England ?
    history of tournaments (1).jpg

#769 terrynguyen121988, Nov 1, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    Sundis and nizze like this.
  10. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Nice 2 C veteran Korean MD winning yesterday. SBC has a better consistent serve than LYD and hits a bit harder. Where were the Chinese in this tournament, I wonder. In XD the Japs pair match against the Thai pair should have been the Final. The weak Sweds were no match for them in the final and a one way traffic ensued.

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

SBC's serve is excellent.
    Which offsets Ko's, which is awful - he's one of the mentally-weakest servers I have ever seen. Looks down instead of at the net, and rushes the whole action.

His serve is just something to get the point started, IMO.

12. James blake

James blake Regular Member

Sometimes I wonder how the draws are set. Sometimes I feel it favours someone of the euro players.

I wonder why China doesnt participate more.their b team could make it to semi/finals easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. James blake

James blake Regular Member

Ko is there to intimidate the opponent with his physicality lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Ajesh

Ajesh New Member

In Denmark Open final, Viktor Axelsen may feel like this even he wins against Momota

15. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

The Chinese players would have needed to quarantine for 2 weeks because of the vaccine they got.
    Somebody mentioned the details earlier in this thread...

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I see, you might as well have honoured yourself by calling it the "samkool rule", knowing how vocal you are.:):D

Actually, the rule in itself is fine, acceptable, CBA and Li Yongbo are for it, no objections, as it applies equally to all member associations.

It's just that the original motive, what drives it, the (hidden) agenda might not be so innocent. The politics of envy, jealousy, sore loser mentality could be driving it, additionally. Anyway, it's history, all water under the bridge, we've moved on.

Also it probably has to do with the fact that China at one time was too dominant, even their second or third best player could take on the rest of the world, and that was viewed as unhealthy for the development of the sport as happened in the distant past when Denmark and Indonesia were in their time. I recalled Gillian Clark once revealed that Li Yongbo was ever approached by BWF requesting that CBA not send all their top players to every tournament to give others a chance, and he obliged.

Also, remember, as Gillian Clark pointed out the other day, recently when the Japanese WDs were all-conquering , occupying the top six world ranking, and there's nothing we can do about it but to accept and let it run its course. It happens in every sport, there's no easy solution for it.

Enough said. Cheers.

#776 Justin L, Nov 2, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  17. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

I just want to add to samkool's argument about the rule, as you seem to question whether China did anything wrong. So a few points in bullet form:
    • China was not the only "offender", but the worst one. Of course China was the only nation who could do it to that extent due to their dominance.
    • Chinese players withdrew much more often from matches against other Chinese players than from matches against players from other nations. This is pure statistics. I don't remember the exact numbers but I do remember hearing them from someone who actually went through all tournaments and counted.
    • When asked about this "behaviour", Li Yongbo didn't deny it. In fact, he was proud of it, because the fact that they could even do it was a testament to their dominance.
    • Notable example: Lin Dan's withdrawal from SF of AC 2012 against Chen Jin. This secured CJ's spot at the Olympics.

nokh88 likes this.
  18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If you were the Head Coach and whatever you do is within the prevailing rules...?

And you have the largest number of Top 20/30/40/50 players in every category to take care of...?

19. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

You seemed to question whether it happened or not. That is what I commented on.
    Bad sportsmanship can also be within the rules. Would you do it?

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You're confused, bad sportsmanship is the act of cheating or breaking the rules to gain an unfair advantage.

Talk is cheap, all of us can be armchair critics or live in an ivory tower.

OK, enough, it all started with two forummers who, instead of talking about Momota's retirement to his fellow teammate Kanta Tsuneyama, brought in unrelated issues, which led to our bickering. And no I did not "question whether it happened or not."

I know where you guys are coming from, I'm not going to get drawn into it, delving into history, one thing leading to another. Endless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.