Korea Badminton Scene

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by blabl, Jan 30, 2016.

1. event

event Regular Member

It seems you double-posted, twice ;)

When they publish the results, they typically mention one or two players who are selected at the coaches' discretion. I suspect sometimes that means they have something that makes them attractive for sparring at the national training centre but also there is the possibility that players in form will still get the nod. Also, I believe I've seen national team players who were injured during the trials still being selected.

Dangho likes this.
  2. Dangho

Dangho Regular Member

Seems I have no clue how the edit button works... Thanks for the information!

3. Dangho

Dangho Regular Member

4. khoai

khoai Regular Member

Super super defense training of Lee So Hee and Shin Seung Chan, starts at 4:30.

5. Dangho

Dangho Regular Member

I've seen a number of players attending Technist (the brand Kim Sa Rang is promoting) events. Chae Yoo Jung, Seo Seung Jae, Kim Ga Eun, Kim Gi Jung etc. Doesn't this breach the yonex contract?

6. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    They are all players under Samsung who are now being sponsored by technist. By virtue of employment there is no contract breach because there should be no conflict between national team sponsorship for those in the national team. And for those like KKJ with personal contract there should be no conflict either as at the end of the day they still depend on their professional teams.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Dangho likes this.
  7. event

event Regular Member

That's correct. You will never see those national team players from Samsung wearing Technist in an international event, not even at the Korea Masters, where they are sometimes coached by their domestic team coaches. Interestingly, even at the 2018 Korea Masters, when the Victor contract had been rescinded, the players still wore their old Victor national team uniforms rather than their respective domestic teams', although Choi Sol Gyu did make a point of saying the racquet he'd thrown into the crowd after the final was a Yonex, from his domestic sponsor.

In fact, most of the players now competing independently overseas use equipment that doesn't match their pro teams. Ko and Shin use Apacs and Eom Hye Won uses Technist even though their Gimcheon team uses Victor. Kim Ha Na uses Redson overseas, not Samsung's sponsor Technist. Kim Gi Jung is still using Yonex when he plays overseas with Lee Yong Dae, even though Samsung has switched to Technist. Of course, until last year, Kim only ever used Yonex, who was sponsoring him and Lee as well as both their domestic teams. The same went for the short-lived reunion of Lee and Yoo because Yoo's Suwon team is sponsored by Yonex. Eom used Victor when playing with Ko until she got the new individual contract. In domestic events, those independent players wear a jersey from their team sponsor but I think they use racquets, shoes, and even shorts from their individual sponsors, just as the national team players tend to use their Yonex racquets and shoes regardless of their domestic team sponsorships.

8. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

#248 decrepit, Feb 2, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    visor and terrynguyen121988 like this.
  9. Dangho

Dangho Regular Member

https://www.badzine.net/2021/02/rio...ue-house-over-korean-national-team-selection/
    Here is a write up of the matter. I'm sceptical of the whole concept of tryout tournaments, but I guess they have to since players outside the national team aren't allowed to compete in other countries (i think?). It makes even less sense if performance in the tryouts is overlooked and coaches responsible for selection favor players from their own team lol

10. kenner30

kenner30 Regular Member

I saw this one badzine too...jung is so good still. I bet it was a different matter that made them go another way..her and baek won the biggest title in 2019 for women's doubles and they looked promising. Or maybe there is plans to pair baek back with her former junior partner. Who knows but koreans always have drama with team selection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

I just heard that my lovely Jung Kyung Eun will retire from the national team end of this month. Can anyone confirm? :(

12. event

event Regular Member

According to Yonhap, she posted a message on Instagram to that effect.

decrepit likes this.
  13. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

Thanks a lot. Via rough translation, Chang Ye Na and Son Wan Ho also won't participate in the preliminary round of the National team selection, sign of retirement from Chang Ye Na? :confused:

14. event

event Regular Member

Yes, it does say that. If you look at the list of participants, those 3 players were all registered, then dropped out. Interestingly, no mention is made of Sung Ji Hyun, who is also mentioned on the list as having applied to retire from the national team.

15. Yeung Chao

Yeung Chao Regular Member

I am big fan of Lee Yong Dae, Jung Jae-sung (Peace be upon him) and I am shocked to witness the current level of men's doubles of Koreans at the moment. If the Lee/Jung are not available, there will be stronger alternatives like Shin Baek Cheol, Yoo YS and Ko Song Hyun.

What is happening? The current pair Choi/Seo, their movement and attacks are no where close to the ones I used to watch. They look like some freshmen high school students hand-picked to represent the country.

16. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

The popularity of badminton has decreased tremendously in Korea
    So the pool talent has become small

17. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

YYS and KGJ recently won the Korean Championships and played quite well from what I saw, couldn't have hurt to include them (and maybe LYD/KSH/SBC) in the Thomas Cup squad.

Especially with several MD pairs not taking part in the Thomas Cup and Japan, Indonesia, China and Denmark struggling with their MDs rn.

stanleyfm likes this.
  18. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

They certainly might have beat Japan if they joined the team

19. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

Ko Sung Hyun and Shin Baek Cheol beat Manu/Attri and Koga/Saito rather easy (at least according to the scorelines).

They now have to face the Daddies who have been struggling since losing the Bronze match at the Tokyo Olympics. Good chance for them to reach the Simifinals.

Really looking forward to this match and seeing the players I grew up with playing against each other:D

20. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

They won
    Maybe they can get win the tournament