Victor DENMARK Open 2021 : R/32 to Final (19-24 October)

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Giga01

Giga01 Regular Member

Maybe if CL doesn't play till 2024 Olympics he'll win another medal somehow :D

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

"...up there with Lin Dan, Lee Chong Wei..." - I beg to differ.

Among the current crop of top players, not one is at the same level as prime Lin Dan, Lee CW, and I'd even include Chen Long. These three are in a league of their own, it might take a while, it may or may not happen, for any one today to be up there with the Super Trio. Let the future tell.

I mean, Lee Zii Jia in the QF matchup with Axelsen was a close affair, 21-19 identical score defeat. I can assure you , prime Chen Long's defense and counterattack was a notch or a cut better than LZJ's. Just ask LCW.

#1042 Justin L, Oct 24, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    Woesi, Nine Tailed Fox and keithl like this.
  3. keithl

keithl Regular Member

software engineer
    Probably due the series of back to back tournaments

4. WhiteStringJunkie

WhiteStringJunkie Regular Member

Nah, that's a stretch.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That Tokyo Olympics Chen Long was off his prime. During that match with VA, both he and Coach Chen Yu had to avoid mentioning his big blood blister as it would let the cat out of the bag, as good as telling his opponent to exploit his impediment. As Zhang Jun later explained, Chen Long's movement was hampered by that blood blister as otherwise he would normally be able to retrieve those smashes. That's not to claim he would definitely beat VA, just to clarify what happened to CL.

6. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Agreed.

But the Momota before Car Accident had developed his footwork/movement in the same league as the aforementioned names.

When he lost in the first round of Indonesia Open Premier Super Series to Huang Yuxiang. Momota cried like a baby in front of His coach Shinji Sato and said, I must improve my attacking game 10 times before the next tournament.

After That he went on to win Japan Open, World Championships, China SS, Korea Open, Denmark Open, China Premier SS, J League Individual, J League Corporate Team, World Tour Finals, Malaysia Open

Before the legendary shuttler suffered an almost life-ending crash of his van with a Mega Monster Truck.

The moment he cried his heart out to Shinji Sato, opened new paths of attacking Jannat to him.

Jiya and Quentin11 like this.
  7. Giga01

Giga01 Regular Member

Probably, it was said in jest :p

WhiteStringJunkie likes this.
  8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You forgot how the 35-year-old Lee CW in 2018 defeated Momota before his car accident. That match , to me, was telling, and more or less confirmed and convinced me of the heights the younger prime LCW had attained, together with Lin Dan and Chen Long.

skhai91, Woesi, LenaicM and 2 others like this.
  9. Nine Tailed Fox

Yes but in March 2018, a career defining win by LCW.

My timeline talks about the changes Momota made in the 2019 July period where he removed all of his attacking deficiencies and became an awesome offensive threat.

WhiteStringJunkie likes this.
  10. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I have to ask but, is this real?!

Did KM really said that to his coach? Was it a "mega monster truck"? Did the moment you mention opened new paths for KM's style of play?

11. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

July 2018, also what do you mean by this win being "career defining" for a player like LCW at 35+ at the time?

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

If you didn't find the retirement just one point from the end of the game annoying, you either don't really compete or you're biased as hell. It was a bulls**t move.
    The sportsmanlike thing in that moment would've been to just let Momota's last serve drop in to prevent injury and accept the result, not make a big circus of the fact that he technically didn't beat you, you retired....
    Additionally, briefly criticizing someone for their actions isn't 'picking on them'...

JC was clearly suffering from an injury (apparent from his drop in performance and discussion with his coach) and retired way before the end of the game because he couldn't carry on, and to avoid injury, nobody should take issue with that. Completely different circumstances.
    Quite telling how you're the only one to bring nationality into this imop.

It'sMeMeMe, hybisme, nokh88 and 7 others like this.
  13. Nine Tailed Fox

Career defining as in how a LCW playing his last tournament could still win the tournament without dropping a set against the freshest generation of players. Giving a minute illustration of how devastating his badminton was even in post prime period/declined/ farewell period.

That victory was as good a feather in LCW's hat as any.

Justin L and LenaicM like this.
  14. Nine Tailed Fox

[​IMG]

It was this match. Momota losing in the first round of a Premier Super Series Event to a Journeyman that kindled the fire inside him.

15. r1cky_b3cks

r1cky_b3cks Regular Member

VA is a clear winner here though I am a fan of KM. Those misjudgment is part of the game. I expected he annihilate KM but KM gave a close fight so I was very happy with it. I am sure KM can bounce back stronger.

Note: even if KM won VA, it doesn't satisfy me. Can someone fix a match between KM vs Heo? He clearly need some revenge there. :)

KhoaHa likes this.
  16. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

That kind of misjudgement is not part of anyone's game. Misjudgement is yes ofc. But not the misjudgement of Momota 2021. I'm guessing people who are commenting on the 'misjudgement as part of the game' haven't been watching any game of Momota since he came back. Go watch the kind of misjudgement he did against Tommy.

I'm sure he will correct it - It just seems to be an over willingness on his part to leave these shuttles. But I just hope it has nothing to do with his eyes. I hope his defense can be brought back up again with training and it is not due to his eyes. Maybe his eyes are perfectly fine and he just needs more time to adjust.

While his defense looked good against VA - to me this is simply a case of reading VA well. His defense against others was still poor. Momota is no where near his 2019 form. This is still a 60% Momota with glimpses of a 100% Momota. He is just naturally good against VA that the 60% seemed like a 95-100%. I have no doubt in my mind that if Axelsen went full on attack from the get go - taking risk to land smashes over smashes - he would beat Momota in 2 straight sets. Why is it that Heo did it but not Axelsen when Axelsen is better than Heo in all aspects. It was just the strategy chosen by Axelsen - he would run a bit then throw a smash - but he underestimated the way Momota could read him. If he went full attack like Heo he would have won more easily.

While Axelsen is guaranteed to go to another final - we cannot yet say the same for Momota. He got a bit lucky this tournament to be honest.

The normal Momota would not only not make so many unforced errors but wouldn't make so many errors in judgement. No other players make that many errors in judgement.

If we count all the shuttles he has let go since he came back - I am 100% sure that it is some kind of record.

As far as stamina goes - Momota is still good but Axelsen caught up with him. However, this stamina isn't the stamina of 2019 Momota. This Momota slowed down in the 3rd game. 2019 Momota would raise his pace in the 3rd game. Huge difference.

The good thing I take from this match and I was expecting that is that Momota finds his former self when playing against Axelsen. Him remembering the kind of movements he was doing before - remembering his footsteps - remembering his shot quality and pace. Momota can be happy from this match because he was able to play the best game since he came back. This was like he borrowed some game from his 2019 form and the bank was Axelsen and Axelsen gave him plenty of time to enjoy that. Hopefully, he used it well and engraved this into himself and can reproduce such a game against other opponents and in a consistent manner.

17. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

[​IMG]

Save the best for last, this mantra really described yesterday's last match of final day, an enthralling MS duel. Viktor Axelsen beat his doubtness and proves his capability to conquer the most arduous opponent Kento Momota (after seven years, GER Open 2014) to clinch the elusive Denmark Open MS crown. This clash involving unpredictable plot particularly in opening and second game, the Dane had handsome lead 14-7 then two-time former champion grabbed the opener, 22-20. Reversal of fortune happened in next game when Momota led 10-6 and looking good to score another victory against local favorite but Axelsen defied all odds and convinced yet challenged himself to perform extraordinary that backed up by roaring home supporters and he succeeded to force rubber games that showed world number one ran out of steam as Axelsen often unleashed smashes with terrific angle that troubling his foe regularly. The Olympic Champion improves his technical skill to balance Momota tight net shot, accuracy, strong defense and marathon rallies despite Axelsen looked quite limping to walk for awarding ceremony. Their rivalry has not reach Lee-Lin legendary level yet but absolutely they're two best MS players in current era. Impressive sportsmanship between these two players, credit to both of them to present high quality final.

Another energy absorbing match saw An Se Young falters and can't complete the match as the Korean teenager retired 16-5 of deciding game that hit 78 minutes of play after asked medical treatment twice to spray her thigh. This duel displaying the art of retrieving skill, patient style, accuracy and never say die attitude from two finalists. What a superb stamina by the emotionless Akane Yamaguchi who playing non stop badminton since Sudirman Cup (5 matches) then Uber Cup (5 matches) and here (5 matches), hats off of her full commitment and discipline, second DEN Open title after 2016 edition for the Japanese world #5.

In doubles category, all three matches are completed in straightforward fashion, China reunited pair Huang/Zheng nailed S1000 crown, sensed Huang Dongping individual skill ability contributing big factor to break Lee/Shin relentless attacking shots and reducing long rallies with her trick shots. The question remains whether this partnerships is just temporary or permanent combination on next tours? No fairy tale ending for Astrup/Rasmussen as they unable to rein the speed of Hoki/Kobayashi, a good sign for JPN MD camp post their core players retirement. Then Watanabe/Higashino bag one more S1000 title in this year after All England, Tokyo OG bronze medalists are too strong for Thailand stars Puavaranukroh/Taerattanchai who were clueless and lethargic in second game, a disappointing display that expected to be close battle.

FINAL RESULTS
    upload_2021-10-25_11-19-12.png

It'sMeMeMe, Justin L, LenaicM and 3 others like this.
  18. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

So, who has achieved more in their career, Axelsen or Momota?

19. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    no guarantee he would've won those points. all it means is the rally continues.

Justin L and LenaicM like this.
  20. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Momota by a slight margin, but Axelsen most probably gonna surpass him by early next year as he is the best MS atm

justiceforlcy likes this.