Shi Yuqi ( 石宇奇 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Caffrey, Nov 12, 2015.

1. mohans

mohans Regular Member

It was a fair question to ask, and it was, in fact, not a fair play from SYQ. I get it. Every athlete could have meltdown days like this in their career.

But why the hell do you have to keep grilling him with the same question? Would you have done that to a Danish player? Would you have asked AA on why he takes so much time between rallies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buibui2 likes this.
  2. Ipponka

Ipponka New Member

Mate it's because he was dodging the question. The translator literally quoted him saying "technically, I didn't lose" which is extremely immature even if the sentiment was expressed ironically. The journalist did a good job trying to cut through the BS.

AA got criticism for his infamous match against VA and he faced those questions head-on.

buibui2 likes this.
  3. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

CHEEKY SHE, MOODY SHI

To lose to such an out of form player like Kento M who is reportedly and assumingly having eyesight issues.
    Why Qi Yu? Why?

dood1234 likes this.
  4. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

I'm so disappointed with what Shi said after the match.

I used to think that Shi was so humble, "another Chen Long" on the court.

You can win Momota another day, why don't you dare to lose ?

You don't have the courage to dare to lose. Sorry, but you are not a big man anymore.

5. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    In badminton betting. Retired means abandoned bets. Bookies very smart. So, syq must have been instructed to retire before the match. Huge money saved by bookies.

BWF must investigate. Millions of.dollars involved. Ccp.must investigate. ;)

6. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

Quick take on the match from my pov:

I can completely understand why he resigned. My guess would be, that he didn't want to lose without putting up a fight at least (which he couldn't) so he decided not to lose by retiring.

I believe he did this for two reasons:

1. To prevent his teammates from being discouraged.

Think about it: The tie could have gone both directions and no match was certain to go to either country, so all players must be quite tense, knowing that they don't have a save win (f.e. Wang/Huang in the Sudirman Cup) later on.

SYQ was completely demolished in the 2nd set, I am sure this would have given a big morale boost to team Japan while China would have lost morale on the other hand, especially considering how well they played against Japan in the Sudirman Cup final.
    To prevent that SYQ decided to retire the match, after everything stopped working for him, to give an excuse for losing the game.
    There is a huge difference for losing due to an injury and losing because you play horrible and a devastating defeat would have been worse for the morale of the remaining Chinese players than a defeat due to injury.

2. SYQ waited till KM's matchpoint, in case KM would have an injury, that is why he did not retire earlier during that game (according to the translation of SYQ's words by a commentator under the interview on Badminton Europe).

If this had been any other tournament, I am sure SYQ would have retired after the first game, or at the beginning/interval of the second one. He waited till matchpoint, not because he feared losing to Momota, but because he hoped for any chance to get a victory for his team, even if it caused a shitstorm.

And if this was the case that SYQ waited till matchpoint out of hope of winning (however small that chance may be) and not to discourage his teammates/encourage the Japanese team, it would make no sense to be honest about it in the post game interview which his teammates/opponents may hear.

Morally this was more than questionable, but I think you guys shouldn't go too hard on SYQ for doing what he did today.

Hope he will be able to play tomorrow. Ginting looked really nervous today and scored more points than VA;).
    He may start to crumble before SYQ does, can't really see LGZ having a chance to win that matchup...

7. toonbaka

toonbaka Regular Member

While we never know what SYQ actually has in mind, I wish this was really the case. Your take explains a lot what, for me, isn’t comprehensible and make the situation more… tolerable as his supporter, perhaps?
    What bugged me the most is his post-match interview, which further escalates the issue. His choices of word were really weird. That’s maybe why the official translator avoided to translate some of it. I think there’re better or wiser way for him to state his reasons, even though those reasons were still questionable.
    But for the love of god, please don’t let him play tomorrow. I can’t imagine what he’ll go through if he somehow plays normally and maybe even wins the match. I really want this to be an one-off event. I still want to support him, but this hits real hard :(.

8. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Where and when was this reported? Did it came out recently or do you actually refer to his pre-surgery eyesight issue? As far as we know, he is ok regarding his eyesight, although we can never know and he would probably not say.

Justin L likes this.
  9. Nine Tailed Fox

According to the Japanese Badminton Fans Community in the KM thread. Where many are saying he can't see cross court smash to his FH till very late.

https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...momota-new-thread.186241/page-29#post-2816128
    https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...momota-new-thread.186241/page-30#post-2816207
    https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...momota-new-thread.186241/page-30#post-2816208
    https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...momota-new-thread.186241/page-30#post-2816211

10. mohans

mohans Regular Member

My bad. I didn’t catch what he said. It makes sense now on why reporter kept grilling him. That was really immature from a world class player, and someone who will be China’s MS torchbearer going forward (or already?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

Nobody except SYQ and the Chinese coaches involved will know what exactly were the thoughts and reasons, but my explanation is the one that makes most sense for me.

The way he looked and spoke during the post game interview combined, it seemed to me that he was joking about not losing to Momota by retiring. The way he laughed while saying that sounded very awkward to me and I am sure there is a deeper meaning behind what he said.

To me, the way he said it sounded like some kind of distressed sarcasm (hard to put this in words, especially in a non native language). Like, SYQ knows that he undoubtedly lost and that he couldn't have won this game after the 1st set (maybe even from the 1st rally), but he needed to "not lose" (/retire) the game to keep team China's chances of winning higher and did everything he could in the end, waiting till matchpoint came for KM.

In the end, everybody has to make their own decision how they interpret what happened, but almost all people here and on social media seem to only criticize SYQ for his unsportsmanlike behavior without looking at the deeper reasons that could stand behind this.

I am not a big fan of SYQ myself, but imo he doesn't deserve all the hate people are throwing at him...

buibui2 likes this.
  12. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Maybe it was team order for some weird reason that forced SYQ to retire?

13. Nine Tailed Fox

Mega million dollar bet?

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Suspicions, assertions, guesswork, speculation, supposition, opinions, belief, etc - but where is the evidence, proof, certification? Otherwise, it won't stand up in a court of law.

LenaicM likes this.
  15. Nine Tailed Fox

Based on today's score, I think there is no eyesight issue for Kento Momota whatsoever, quite frankly. There is much more to Momota's woes and dejection than eyesight. Some fundamentals have been long forgotten. Some belief has been long lost. They say that belief is half of being.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

As Momota the man himself was on record to have said he was ready even if the Tokyo Olympics wasn't postponed last year.

I'd hazard a guess, - you see, we have for a decade at least been so used to Lin Dan - Lee CW - Chen Long style of game , then when the two former oldies were on the way out and Chen Long in his twilight years, comes a player like Momota with his meticulous controlled rallying style of game whose novelty effect is/was such that it took the badminton world by storm. And that novelty effect actually lasted quite a while, almost two years or so during which he practically swept all opposition away though not in the manner of Lin Dan - Lee CW's dominating fashion.

Now, it appears that more and more of his rivals, old and new ones, are beginning to figure him out, his strengths and weaknesses, and all of a sudden he seems no longer the same hotshot player that he was formerly after tournaments resume. That's what we are witnessing today.

Notice, I don't specifically mention his road accident and eye surgery, preferring to leave that to the medical profession whilst taking Momota's words at face value that his physical condition is all right.

Btw, at the moment, there's one big rival of his who has yet to prove he has solved the Momota puzzle, and that is none other than Viktor Axelsen, and that is because they haven't met for the last six months or more.

#336 Justin L, Oct 16, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    samkool and LenaicM like this.
  17. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I would like to add that during the years 2018/2019, the badminton MS category was witnessing a complete end of the former dominant generation: Lin Dan, Chen Long, Lee Chong Wei, Jan O Jorgensen, Chen Long, Son Wan Ho, Lee Hyun Il, HK Vittinghus and more players outside the top 10 that could shine sporadically (Brice Leverdez or Ravij Ouseph for example). All those players were either retiring or getting seriously old during theses years.

That is not to say KM did not earn his medals. Not. at. all. But indeed, it took another few months/years before a new generation starts to enter tournaments instead of the previous stars and get used to the Tour and eventually take over the former generation (a development still in process imo, especially with covid-19). And at 27, where does KM stands? The new generation or the "new" old one? I think his game was just at its peak during the years 2018/2019 and if you place the version of KM 2018/2019 in 2015, he might not be that dominant and I think (my opinion only) that it is what is happening now in 2021. KM's opponents are only larger in numbers and better than they were in 2019. He will win (probably many tournaments) again. But will he dominate again among the new generation of players like he did few years ago?

Justin L likes this.
  18. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    wtf kind of logic is that? i assume his teammates saw the score line. how is losing 21-5 worse than retiring at 20-5? the outcome is the same: your team is down 1-0
    after watching the interview my immediate reaction was 'omg, syq, never mind what other people think... but, what the hell... have you no self-respect?'

Hbmao, visor and dood1234 like this.
  19. WhiteStringJunkie

WhiteStringJunkie Regular Member

Wow, he's a douche. And I'm being generous with my criticism on this guy.

20. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

again ???

Why don't just stand on court for 10 second and wait for Momota serve ???