Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. cococo

cococo Regular Member

I had a look at China's squad,I think it's still quite strong. Shi Yuqi should win most of his matches,I saw their MS2 Lu Guangzu is ranked 21 in the world so he's not that inexperienced either,and if their MD is the same one as the one who played against Japan in the Sudirman Cup,I think they have a chance to win most of their matches too. That's already three matches out of five which is just enough to get them the victory. Assuming even if one of those three lost but one of the other two can pull an upset China can still win.

Sent from my SM-A307GN using Tapatalk

2. cococo

cococo Regular Member

I just checked again,Lu Guangzu is ranked 27 based on the latest ranking not 21,but it's still quite high. I'm not sure if he's the MS2 as well but he's included in China's lineup so I think he has a chance of playing.

Sent from my SM-A307GN using Tapatalk

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Only Shi Yuqi has big-match experience worth mentioning, Lu Guangzu played just one group match at the just-concluded Sudirman Cup, and the MD He Jiting/Zhou Haodong is a new pairing without world ranking and relatively green in major team championships. So, on the whole, Team China is considered rather lacking in experience as far as world major team tournaments are concerned, no advantage or equivalent as compared with their main rivals.

As Zhang Jun said , for their Sudirman Cup, their average age of the squad is 23, and it's more or less the group of players/pairs that China is sending to the Thomas Cup. At least for the Sudirman Cup, Team China has MS SYQ, WS CYF, WD CQC/JYF, and XD WYL/HDP -that is, four out of five disciplines composed of experienced players/pairs, not so for their Thomas Cup team where only MS SYQ is experienced enough, as good as newbies for their MS2, MS3, MD1, and MD2 (XD not featured).

That's why, realistically speaking, I won't rate Team CHN's chances higher than 50% for their Thomas Cup quest. And as for their Uber Cup chances, they have a slightly better mix of experienced players/pairs, such as WS1 Chen Yufei, WS2 He Bingjiao, WD1 Chen Qingchen/Jia Yifan, and to a lesser extent WD2 Li Wenmei/Zheng Yu; therefore, on paper, I'd rate their Uber Cup chances about 60/70%, even 80% is not far-fetched. That's my considered opinion.

Nevertheless, we must realize team events are different from individual events as for the former we have to reckon the participants' mental strength and big-match experience as one of the determining factors, for whoever can perform under pressure often trumps the contestants' respective world rankings. Also getting the lineup right is a strategy that can increase the team's chances vis-a-vis the opposing team as having a good start in the opening match sets the tome for the rest of the matches. Not only that, as we know, unexpected victories and losses in the lineup will alter the balance, improving or upsetting it as the case may be, the result of the increase or decrease in, especially self-induced, pressure acting on the players/pairs concerned as the matchups are being played out.

In other words, Team events have a certain "logic" of their own quite different from Individual events, the more so for major championships. Again, that's my opinion.

kwun, cococo, tbgoh288 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

Why gu jufeng & weng honyang selected not huang yuxiang, zhao junpeng,lei lanxi. Also why han quanxi got the chance not cai yanyan, zhang yiman & chen xiaoxin

#3544 Banuka, Oct 9, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

After watching Wang Zhiyi's debut performance at the ongoing Uber Cup, her first two matches played so far in the group matches were not up to her standard against opponents she's expected to walk over, first against the CAN Weng Yu Zhang, 21-12 and 21-7, the second against MAS K Letshanaa, 21-12 and 21-11.

Despite her easy victories, she appeared stiff, apparently somewhat nervous understandably, both tame affairs without her asserting much of her authority, just simple controlled games interspersed with a number of unforced errors. I hope she is taking these two matches to quickly get used to the occasion after her initial experience so that she can play more freely at the later knockout stage from the quarterfinals onwards.

Otherwise, when the tie comes down to the wire in the 5th tiebreaking WS3 matchup for which she is likely to be fielded (assuming WS1 is Chen Yufei and WS2 is He Bingjiao), her ability to play to her strengths will be seriously tested in addition to the pressure of the burden of expectation, I'd be quite concerned about her form relative to her opponent's.

Let's wait and see how she would fare when put to the baptism of fire in the elimination rounds as it will either make or break her for years to come. All the best to Wang Zhiyi.

kwun likes this.
  6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I felt compelled to say something about He Bingjiao's outing today at the Uber Cup group stage, the way she dismantled her hapless MAS opponent, Siti Nurshuhaini, effectively wiping the floor with her, 21-8 and 21-3 in a mere 23 minutes.

As if she's telling her coach, Luo Yigang, you don't only have Chen Yufei, there is also me to lead the charge.

7. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Scratching the head with both hands and legs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

To be fair that seemed like playing vs amateur/junior competition. Or maybe I am being unfair and that outfit was simply causing her opponent to overheat, who knows

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    As the commentator says (around 27:25) , "Very little room for much compassion in this high level of professional sport, it's about getting the job done, with discipline and focus, and He Bingjiao is doing just that right now "

Justin L likes this.
  10. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

Looking forward to seeing Liu Cheng/Wang Yilu later.
    Should be the strongest combination for a MD2 that China has right now.

Another option would be taking ZHD out of the MD1 and partner him up with Wang Chang, but the Coaches don't seem to be confident about this pairing (that won the National Games a few weeks ago)

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

What are you trying to say ???

Banuka likes this.
  12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Oh well, I don't supposed Luo Yigang is too pleased with He Bingjiao's performance today, despite her victory over DEN's Line Christophersen, 21-23, 21-13, 21-15.

Looks like is not good thing to win too easily , a cakewalk over the MAS girl the day before, as it tended to make her not on her toes for quite a while the next day against a gutsy opponent out to prove a point. It appeared to me not only was HBJ showing signs of nerves occasionally and making several unforced errors, she's also trying to play a bit more deceptively as reminiscent of her younger days, which to me is a good sign, apart from those nervous mistakes. Anyway, Line was also too eager to win and made her fair share of mistakes.

On the whole. not too bad a match, as both ladies were fighting hard all the way.

Whatever, I doubt Luo YG ,or Xia Xuanze, for that matter, would pass up the chance to field the more stable and reliable Chen Yufei as WS1 from the Quarterfinals henceforth.

Let's see how the draws for the quarterfinals turn out come Thursday, 14th Oct, as there's still another round of group matches tomorrow.

kwun likes this.
  13. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    May be HBJ isn’t motivated enough, They should motivate HBJ with gold medal everytime she wins a game.

14. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

Anyone have explanations about the doubts regarding the selections which I mentioned before???

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

A tinge of sarcasm in your comment.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In my opinion, Wang Zhiyi was lucky to survive G2 against Line Christophersen yesterday. After her subpar G1 loss by WZY, Line was eager to close out the match in two games and her impatience cost her dearly, allowing WZY to gradually find her footing and eventually forced the decider and even went on to take the match.

I can't helped but think to myself, if Line was aware of how nervous WZY was and instead of rushing through the game by going for winners at every opportunity but kept the rally going a bit longer and at the same time avoiding mistakes and still seizing the initiative to go on the attack more often , WZY would have capitulated under increased pressure in G2, if not , then in the decider.

To be honest, up to now, al the three matches she's played were unimpressive, below my expectations. Thus, if I were the Chinese coaches, it's a headache who to field as WS3 for the pivotal 5th tiebreaker should it come to that - continue to use Wang Zhiyi or give Han Yue a try.

Based on their respective performances today versus Denmark, Han Yue's performance seemed a bit more convincing. However, it's difficult to gauge or weigh their chances as the match situation and opponent's strengths are different. That is , when WZY was on court, Team CHN was 2-0 up, if WZY lost, then, technically speaking, CHN can be overtaken by DEN if the latter prevailed in the remaining two matches. Therefore, the pressure for WZY is greater than Han Yue's who , when she's fielded, CHN was 4-0 up, meaning her match outcome was academic as victory was already assured for CHN.

And another advantage that Han Yue enjoyed over WZY was her opponent, Julie Dewall Jakobsen, at age 23 , is not as experienced nor higher ranked than her senior teammate, Line Kjaerfeldt, an established veteran, age 27, and higher ranked, whom WZY was faced with.

That is why, I think the Chinese coaches would have an uneasy choice to make between Wang ZY and Han Yue for the following elimination rounds. On the surface, it may to be a toss-up. Intuitively, I have a feeling WZY is probably slightly more favoured by the coaches, if for no other reason than that her recent performance, albeit mostly in domestic competition, is better than HY's. We'll see.

17. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

It is unfortunate that han chegdkai retired. Liu cheng should have been partenered with him.

18. Yeung Chao

Yeung Chao Regular Member

China since they pride themselves as the major powerhouse, I will always measure their performances in four major events.

Olympics
    Thomas/Uber
    Sudirman
    Asian Games

Since 2012, CBA has made a very big mistake for not making any proper succession plan in Women's Singles and Women's Doubles.

The Men's and Mixed Doubles department have their ups and downs, occasionally they do deliver at big events unexpectedly but the loss in WS and WD is hard to understand and swallow.

WS

They made serious miscalculations by assuming Wang Yihan, Wang Shixian and Li Xuerui have what it takes to remain at the top and deliver for the next four or five years. Now that is very wrong.

Wang Yihan
    When the non-Chinese women started emerging and be on par post-2013, Wang Yihan was left exposed and she does not have what it takes to deal with them. She should have been dropped from Olympics Rio 2016

Wang Shixian
    This is a very tragic or oneself to blame situation. She was done dirty by the ranking system, Li Yongbo and Li Xuerui for missing the Olympics London place which she rightfully deserved. She was actually young and able to fight for the place again when given the opportunity. But instead of improving herself, she maintains the same kind of playing style and never add any new features to her game to improve her head to head record. On top of that, she has a very bad attitude and personality displayed from her moaning behaviour on court. It is a shame because she has one of the best footwork and shot variations compared to Wang Xin and Wang Yihan where these two relied purely on brute force. She basically wasted other people's time and ruined her own career which was sealed by missing the Rio entry. As soon as CBA notice her lack of changes in the playing style and head to head records with other opponents, she should have been dropped immediately.

Li Xuerui

The so-called wonder girl that made headlines for winning the Olympic Gold Medal due to the a sudden decision by LYB and CBA. I was never convinced that she will be a dominating force that people make her out to be when she burst into the scene in 2012 winning Olympic and several super series titles. Two important factors are to be taken in account - She was never in the centre of attention, so the focus and pressure were never onto her but other Chinese players everytime they play. In a way she is like a side character in a story plot. A second factor is during her winning spree, a lot of the non-Chinese players have not "bloomed" yet and are still honing their skills. She got exposed and I was proven right when she practically lost two successive world championship finals. It's how she lost. When you lose twice in a row due to the same situation where the pressure gets to you, CBA should take note of this and groom an alternate replacement. Sadly nothing was done about this and LXR clearly showed how incapable she was to deal with the pressure yet again in the actual Rio Olympic 2016 until the slip occurred. LXR was in my opinion a player that got exposed and primarily responsible for the domino effect of the change in perception and confidence level of non-Chinese players later on.

CBA's flawed and miscalculated assumptions did prospective players like Sun Yu and Han Li quite a disservice and completely wasted the Rio 2016 effort. It was hardly a competition. The effects of these miscalculations are still seen now. I mean seriously China has only Chen Yufei and He Bingjiao to offer ? Chen Yufei is decent but HBJ is not really a top 10 player material. China has 1 billion people so i am sure they could find someone with similar physique like Zhang Ning, Ye ZhaoYing who are physically taller, longer with better reach.

Women's Doubles

I find it amazing how CBA completely ruin their Olympic chances in this "reliable" category twice in a row now.
    Since 2012, they should have immediately prepared to find two replacements for Yu/Wang and Zhao/Tian, Zhao/Tian won the Olympic gold by luck and they are never consistent compared to wang/yu. I love watching players like Tang QuanTing, Tang Jianhua, Bao Yixin but wow i cannot believe these players were completely overlooked by the CBA. When the Zhao and Tian scandal broke out, I knew for sure China will not win any medal in the category because they clearly did not make any contingency plan. Instead of fielding a strong pair as replacement, they put Luo/Luo pair. That pair is a joke in my opinion. I do not think they were there to compete seriously. When they got knocked out in a one sided match, they were having a laugh. Bao Yixin and Tang Jianhua given how talented they are, were ruined their chances by CBA's incompetence and lack of analytical studies on Zhao/Tian and Yu/Tang
    Between Zhao/Tian, I believe Tian Qing is the weakest player that gives away free points to the opponents. She is certainly the most undeserving Olympic gold medallist in my opinion. Nothing special about her.
    The same thing to be seen in Tokyo 2021, Chen/Jia are one of the worst pairs I have even seen in Women's Doubles playing in a final. They made mistakes, nervous and completely outplayed by a creative and nothing to lose pair. Their performance should be heavily criticised as much as how Li/Liu from MD were criticised for losing very badly.

I am still surprised to see China continuing to field such pair(s) in a category that traditionally have been their biggest source of depth and medal contribution. If this continues in the next three years, I will not be surprised in this category's gold medallist continues to come from a non-China nation.

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Wow, Li Shifeng is a surprise package, the Chinese coaches must be very pleased with him, the way he bested the THA prodigy Kunlavut Vitidsarn, who earlier in the group matches stunned Shi Yuqi in two straight sets.

But, what really surprised or shocked me was KV running out of ideas playing LSF, except only briefly when LSF was settled into a too comfortable pace that KV was able to suddenly upped the tempo and caught him off-guard in the end part of G2. Then came the shocker, not long into the decider, KV inexplicably self-destruct. Who would have thought.

I supposed KV lost confidence and patience as he felt that he didn't know how to counter LSF's game. However, as both these two young guns are still in their formative stage of their growth and development, it's definitely too early to say the last word about their respective strengths going forward.

For now, Li Shifeng's game and demeanour on court is a joy to watch for a young up-and-comer. At the moment, If there's one aspect that I'd like to see him sharpen up is his net play as he's quite good in his attacking clears and smashes.

Keep it up. Way to go, Li Shifeng !

20. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    LSF got these:
    1. Most beautiful footwork
    2. Strong attack and defense
    3. Very stable game overall.

He improved well.

Justin L likes this.