A Victor Auraspeed 90k Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Joran, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Kevin Marcus Wei

Kevin Marcus Wei New Member

I’ve been using BS 12 for last 3 years. Still love it. I’m thinking to buy an auraspeed (90s , 90k). I only play doubles. Which one you guys think would be better? I do not like very head light/heavy racket. Is 90k too headheavy? I’ve used 88s. If it’s as headheavy as 88 or less; I’m totally okey with it

2. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

They say the closest to bs12 is the 90s, but 90s feels slightly more flexible upon impact thanks to it's rtc and Wes that activates only during a high speed swing. But similar stiffness in general.

90k (4u) is the middle ground between BS 12 3u and Arc 11 3u. If you want a racket that is slightly stiffer, head heavier, slower, more powerful, more numb than BS12 you can try it. I don't recommend a 3u 90k unless you want something completely different from a BS12.

If you want a slightly stiffer version of the BS 12, I recommend the Auraspeed 70k version 1 (with the blue and orange paint). Speed, feel, everything else is similar except it is stiffer so it has a higher power ceiling and accuracy, but slightly more difficult to wield than the BS12 due to the stiffness. Don't be scared by how victor rates the 70k stiffness: in reality, it feels like a 4/5 stiffness at most. To put it simply, the 70k is like a BS12 with a 4/5 stiffness, but obviously the feel is not exactly the same although close enough for me.Try to find a heavy 4u or light 3u for 70k.

You can also look into the new Auraspeed 70k (black and red color) I hear it's like the old 70k but has a 3/5 flexibility.

3. Kevin Marcus Wei

Kevin Marcus Wei New Member

Thank you for the feedback. I just ordered the 90k 4u.
    I was confused whether i should get it or not. As long as it’s not too headheavy like (zf2) I’m totally ok. I don’t really looking for a bs12 substitute, but a similar one in terms of speed and playability.

4. ChocoChipWaffle

90k 4u if I rate numerically is probably 7.5/10 stiffness and 7.5/10 in head heaviness. Power shots will definitely be easier than the BS12, and it has a slight hold feel but not as much as an Arc11. Can't really go wrong if you're an all-rounder imo

5. Rommel Alastra

Rommel Alastra Regular Member

is it true that this is stiffer than the arc11?

6. ChocoChipWaffle

For me, yes. But the difference isn't much.

7. NhanHoang34

NhanHoang34 New Member

I have both the ARS90K and the AX88s, both 3U, so I will give a bit of a comparison for anyone interested:

Background:
    Intermediate club player with average techniques, strong arm and questionable decisions sometimes :D

Past rackets:

Yonex: VT7, VT70, VT80, VTZF, VTZF2 with the VT80 my favorite
    Li-ning: N55, Kason C7 and F9, N99, N90III with the N55 my favorite
    Victor: MX70, MX80, BS11, BS12 with the BS12 my favorite

Now onto the comparisons:

Aesthetics:
    Stiffness: 90k > 88s
    Head heavy: 90k > 88s
    90k has a longer handle and shorter shaft compare to the 88x
    Both on G5 handles but the 90k is much smaller than the 88s
    90k on NBG95 @ 25lbs
    88s on 66U @ 25lbs

Playability:

Speed: 90k > 88s: I am able to swing faster with the 90k

For me, the 90k swings a lot faster and with the stiffer shaft, it does not lag behind like the 88s if you have big arm or swing really hard for a smash. Flat drives are good: fast, direct, lots of speed behind the shuttle. Slices are accurate and fast with deceptions. Defense is good, always able to return the shuttle with ease, even those close to the body. Net play is a bit of joy because of the stiffer nature of the racket and string.

Meanwhile the 88s is no slouch in the speed department. While it is no slim-frame-fast, it is still above average. Flat drives are good: stable and fast, surprisingly quick to handle for a beefier frame. However it lacks the 'directness' compare to the 90k. Probably due to the flexier shaft and shorter handle. Net play was a-okay: above average but nothing special to write home about. Slices are good and dependable with great feels to the shuttle, just a little wobbly sometimes if you clip it too fast and the flexier shaft cannot handle it. Defense is good with effortless fast swings and back lifts, however maneuverability is a bit behind the 90k.

Power: 90k >=88s: I am able to generate a bit more max power with the 90k

More head speed = more power. The 90k is a fast-swinging, powerful and accurate weapon. Its stiffer shaft lends much of the directness and the speed of the head can open up many different angles. Clears are effortless and just wrist is sometimes enough. Back-hand clears need a bit more effort and technique compare to 88s. However, there is a lot of vibration, even more on off-center hit. The racket is not very forgiving if your technique is not sound enough.

The 88s on the other hands are just a touch behind on speed. It is still fast. The RGS and the much closer to even-balance lends repeated smashing with ease and joy. Even to the extend of me abusing it too much over other shot selections :D It is accurate and much more forgiving on the arm with the flexier shaft. More over, the racket has that stability that Yonex is well-known for. Minimal vibration, even on off-center hit. Surprisingly it is not numb but rather lively. Every shot is felt through and you feel like communication with the racket is excellent but without the annoying vibration. All in all, power is effortless and excellent with the 88s, just the accuracy is lacking if you prefer the stiffer shaft.

Just my 2 cents based on my preference of stiff and slightly head heavy rackets. The 90k is gaining more playing time but overall I still prefer the 88s over the 90k. There is just that dumb vibration from Victor that I cannot understand.

Both are excellent rackets and you cannot go wrong with either. I will try different string combo on them (the same this time!) to see if they perform differently.

8. Rommel Alastra

Rommel Alastra Regular Member

im surprised that 90K is stiffer than 88S. I have 4U 88D, it feels stiffer and harder than 90K.

9. ChocoChipWaffle

That's probably because the 88s has more holding feel. Remember, stiffness isn't just felt from the shaft, if the frame is soft and has a lot of hold, the shuttle will dwell longer on the strings and allow time for the shaft to flex more, thus making the shaft feel more flexible. It's also why if a racket feels too stiff for you, stringing at slightly lower tensions makes it feel more flexible

yeelong likes this.
  10. NhanHoang34

NhanHoang34 New Member

Just had another session with the 90k. Boi does this racket moves fast. I stand corrected on my feeling of the 90k is stiffer than the 88s. With the 88s I can comfortably swing it hard and have the racket achieving the 'whipping effect' while the 90k just stays stiff and hard and numb. Dunno if the flex point is different but it is definitely stiffer and head heavier for me. My 88s flex near the handle, probably 5-8cm from the cone while the 90k flex near the T-joint. Probably just my delusional brain though :D

11. ChocoChipWaffle

There's probably the aspect of the 90k having nbg95 and your 88s having 66u. If you string two 88s with those strings, the one with nbg95 will feel significantly stiffer on the string bed because the strings are thicker and less repulsive. Since your nbg95 was only played twice, if you have been playing with the 88s more than that, then the difference is even more exacerbated because 66u loses tension fast.

If you want a true comparison, it's best to take your main string and get both rackets strung at the same time, and play with them new

#91 ChocoChipWaffle, Apr 8, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  12. NhanHoang34

NhanHoang34 New Member

Excellent advice! I will do just that and string the 90k with 66u since I like thin and repulsive string better. Thanks @ChocoChipWaffle !

13. pughon

pughon Regular Member

Good feeling. 90K has WES technology which allows the racket to flex near the T-joint.

14. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Just brought a pair of 90K DE coded. I've got a white dot to highlight the middle point where you should normally mount your racket, like the triangle thing in Yonex. Except when I look closely, it looks like a paint chip rather than something painted on. Wondering if other codes have this or is it just europe?

Dave1011 likes this.
  15. beno22

beno22 Regular Member

I have this also on my ARK 90K

16. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Thought I share a pic of my new still in plastic 90k PXL_20211006_144803835.jpg

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

Dave1011 likes this.
  17. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

I have that on my HK code 70K too

18. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Weird my 70k has a nice round black dot.

Dave1011 likes this.
  19. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

Is it the same on both of your 90k?

20. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Yeah same. Thought I post a pic of the new racket just to show it wasn't because of stringing, even though I use a load spreader...

Anyway used this for the first time yesterday. Was a good fit from the first hit. What surprised me was my 4U 90k felt so much better than the 3U 70k. I was initially a bit worried about the stiffness, since I couldn't feel the flex working for me in the 70K, but for whatever reason I could feel the whippy feel of the 90K. Impressive power especially since my 4U are at the lower end, but then again I think my A5 are similar weight and has recently started working great.

Wasn't a great test scientifically because I was also testing a new hybrid GT5/AS...

Final note: where has all the 90K in the UK gone, seems sold out in most places, except in the non discounted places.

Dave1011 likes this.