India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Gopichand would have traveled for the Olympics if IOA allowed more coaches. There was a restriction with few players qualifying and Japan also had a limit for support staff, based on number of players qualified citing COVID-19 restrictions. Gopichand will travel for the big tournaments on circuit once COVID restrictions ease.

India doesn't have a strike force for the Thomas or Uber Cup. We had a MS strike force and one good MD pair in 2018 but blundered in sending the team for the Commonwealth Games. Everyone was injured and not fit to play in the 2018 Thomas cup. I believe that team had the opportunity to make the semis and get a Bronze medal at the very least.

After Jwala Gutta we are still searching for a good WD pair, we just have Ashwini Ponappa and she is ageing. Future WS, WD will shape up as to which young talented players get the opportunities for regular tournaments (10 per year minimum).The excess talent in MS will lead to more MD and XD pairs in the long run. Satwik/Chirag will inspire more youngsters to train in doubles.

India is a team in transition. Ageing MS, WD, WS, PV Sindhu will take inspiration from Zhang Ning, Kevin Cordon, Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei and look to play till 2028 Olympics! 2024-26 a better picture will emerge as to how India will shape up. :)

#4061 badmuse, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  2. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

India share 5th place with Japan, Korea and Malaysia in final Badminton Medal tally at Olympics.

3. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Sudirman Cup and Thomas/Uber Cup just 6 days apart followed by Denmark/French Open.
    WTF and WC 6 days apart. Not the ideal scheduling for major events and tournaments.

For the Thomas/Uber Cup India should have at least 1-2 young players. Since the Denmark/French Open follow immediately we may see A team players reluctant to play in Sudirman and Thomas/Uber Cup.

#4063 badmuse, Aug 3, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  4. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

BAI to hold National camp for 75 junior and senior players in 3 cities, Hyderabad (Gopichand Academy), Bangalore (Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy) and Guwahati (Assam Badminton Academy), followed by 2 senior domestic tournaments. Aug 27 - Sept 11. Players like Tasnim Mir, Ashmita Chaliha train at the Assam Badminton Academy.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...eason-from-august-27/articleshow/84981019.cms

Biglever and Airos like this.
  5. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Wow when did Tasnim Mir start training there ? Didn't she use to train at Gopi Academy ? I have hopes on Tasnim rather than Asmita Chaliha who couldn't/didn't improve after winning Tata India IC 2018. I find Tasnim more promising than Malvika, Asmita, Gayatri and Aakarshi.

6. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

I agree, Tasnim Mir is India's most exciting WS player in the footsteps of Saina and Sindhu. Tasnim trained at the Gopichand Academy for 3 years and shifted to Assam because she didn't get enough individual attention and didn't train with boys. INA coach Edwin Iriawan trains her at ABA. He's not a top level coach but he gives her individual attention and lets her train with the boys. She plays both XD and WS. This year she will focus on junior tournaments and start senior tournaments next year. It's just a matter of time before she gets selected for India's Uber team. Her target is to win a medal for India in Paris 2024 Olympics. She is currently 16 and turns 19 in 2024, hope she qualifies for the Olympics! :)

Baddie lover likes this.
  7. Airos

Airos Regular Member

@badmuse
    I want to know a little about our coaches.
    Can you tell who exactly is coaching who among India's top players and promising youths?

I know Park TS trains Sindhu.
    But who trains Sai Praneeth?
    Sindhu said Gopichand had no involvement after Park TS took over.
    Does Gopichand actively train any top players?
    What about others like Srikanth, Saina, HSP etc?
    Is Lakshya Sen still in the Prakash Padukone Academy?
    And who trains our top doubles players?
    Who else does Edwin Iriawan train?

8. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Agus Dwi Santoso trains Indian MS based at the Gopichand Academy, Sai Praneeth, HS Prannoy, Srikanth Kidambi, Kashyap Parupalli. Saina Nehwal trains with Kashyap Parupalli.
    Gopichand is now focussing on junior players, he may just talk with the top players. He doesn't have enough time to train everyone and hence the appointment of Agus. Yes, Lakshya Sen trains at Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy. Mathias Boe is currently training the Top Doubles players. Hopefully he will continue in this position. Edwin Iriawan trains Ashmita Chaliha, Ayan Rashid, Mohammed Ali Mir (Tasnim's brother) and some others.

Airos likes this.
  9. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Thanks.
    I will bother you with some more questions, if you don't mind.

Who are the coaches in Prakash Padukone Academy?
    Is it only Vimal Kumar or are there any foreign coaches?
    How much involvement does Prakash Padukone himself have?
    Apart from Lakshya who are the other big names in PP academy?

Does Mathias Boe train all of MD, WD and XD?

Does the Guwahati Academy have coaches other than Edwin?

I am guessing Hyderabrad, Bangalore and Guwahati are the biggest badminton training centers in India right now.
    Are there more? I remember Ajay Jayaram used to train in Mumbai. Does he still train there?

10. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

BAI should invest their household and every last penny on Meiraba

11. Baddie lover

Meiraba no mental strength. It's very early days but I think this mental thing can't be honed. It's either there or it isn't. He choked real bad at WJC. But yeah after Lakshya, I was excited for Meiraba tbh.

12. Nine Tailed Fox

It's important to keep in back of your mind that Lin Dan had no mental strength till 2005.

When Puberty will hit Meiraba, there will be nothing but downpour of mental strength.

Baddie lover likes this.
  13. Nine Tailed Fox

Meiraba plays the soldier style of Gao De Long Chen.

I think he will take the Axelsens and Gintings by storm.

14. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    How is Meiraba btw, haven't heard of him lately, Sankar Mutusamy also has a defensive game.

Chen Long's style can take sometime to perfect, esp when choosing that perfect moment to bring out the big smash having tired/out of positioned the opponent.

15. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

1.Who are the coaches in Prakash Padukone Academy?
    Umendra Rana, Sagar Chopda, Sayali Gokhale, Hufrish Nariman, Pooja Kohli, DK Sen, Vimal Kumar
    2.Is it only Vimal Kumar or are there any foreign coaches?
    They used to have Atiq Jauhari for doubles, trained Ashwini Ponappa in her younger days. Not sure if anyone else is there. They have a tie up with Aarhus Badminton Centre in Denmark managed by Morten Frost. Morten Frost comes to Bangalore coaching and players from here go to Denmark for training.
    3.How much involvement does Prakash Padukone himself have?
    Prakash Padukone mainly gives pep talks to players. Coaching is left to Vimal Kumar and the others.
    4.Apart from Lakshya who are the other big names in PP academy?
    I won't call them big names but talented players. Mithun Manjunath, Rahul Bharadwaj, Kiran George, Siddharth Pratap Singh, Meiraba Luwang, Laa Tukum, Ansh Negi, Tanya Hemanth and others.
    5.Does Mathias Boe train all of MD, WD and XD?
    Yes, he is supported by INA coach Dwi
    6.Does the Guwahati Academy have coaches other than Edwin?
    Baniman Borah
    7.I am guessing Hyderabrad, Bangalore and Guwahati are the biggest badminton training centers in India right now.
    Are there more? I remember Ajay Jayaram used to train in Mumbai. Does he still train there?
    There are many good academies across India. MV Bisht Badminton Academy (New Delhi) Surjit Singh Badminton Academy (New Delhi), SAI Badminton Training Centre (New Delhi) Chetan Anand Badminton Academy (Hyderabad) Bhaskar Babu Li Ning Academy (Hyderabad) Jwala Gutta Badminton Academy SM Arif coach (Hyderabad) Nikhil Kanetkar Badminton Academy (Pune) Maharashtra Badminton Coaching Association (Pune) Poona District and Metropolitan Badminton Association (Pune) Uday Pawar Academy - Doubles (Mumbai) Goregaon Sports Club for Badminton Coaching (Mumbai) Navi Mumbai Sports Association for Badminton Coaching (Mumbai) Anup Sridhar Badminton Academy (Bangalore) Babu Banarasi Das UP Badminton Academy (Lucknow) There are many more! Ajay currently trains with Anup Sridhar at his academy in Bangalore.

16. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Decent number of academies, but decent quantity of quality is not coming up.

17. Baddie lover

Great writeup @badmuse

badmuse likes this.
  18. Baddie lover

Only one academy rules in Nationals and produces international players. Academies in other states, they become feeder system to Gopi Academy. Those feeder academies main target is to challenge for r16 or QF of Nationals and beat top PPBA and PGBA academy students. Once they beat, they come under the radar of those top academies. There's over reliance on Gopi Academy but what to do ? There's no alternative to this.

I had two of my academy mates in Delhi back in 2011. Fast forward 9 years, one was playing Meiraba in Khelo Youth Games finals and other was also with him. Both are brothers. Then got in touch with one of them, got to know they both impressed in Nationals back in 2015-16 and since then they've shifted to Gopi Academy. So unless and until quality coaches and system (which is in place at Gopi Academy) are there in other academies, don't expect top players from those places.

19. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Malvika Bansod trains in Raipur Chattisgarh with Sanjay Mishra Junior National Coach and is also studying Computer Science Engineering at SRM Chennai. Not easy to balance studies with badminton.

#4079 badmuse, Aug 7, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  20. Baddie lover

Malvika goes from MH to Chhatisgarh for training.

Aakarshi goes from Chhatisgarh to AP for training.

Weird. ;)