Viktor Axelsen

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by LD rules!, Apr 25, 2010.

1. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I saw him slipping his foot taking net shot. Probably a game changer at that time reminding him to not be a beast and go easy. Else injury comes back.

Credit to anton. ;)

2. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    News from Sportroad. hk. Viktor is getting marry. He is going to marry Natalia Koch Rohde, a former national team player, also the mother of their daughter named Vega who was born last October. The news was posted prior to All England, it should give him a boost. Momota better be ready.

3. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

Kento no more, he was put out earlier today so AE is Viktors for the taking.

4. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Viktor needs to watch out for Antonsen. Antonsen is a much more dangerous bogey-man for Axelsen than Jan O Jorgensen ever was.

5. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

Agreed, on his day he has the game to overpower VA,both are blessed with power and great movement and never say die attitude, one area I think Antonsen is slightly better is psychologically he thinks with a clearer mind going through a bad patch, Victor tends to loose it upstairs.

I feel this enforced lockdown has favoured power players, touch, feel and defensive players like Momota has lost that consistent precision which is vital to his game.

Sundis likes this.
  6. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

anan is much more dangerous than jan, for anyone. Even chou who hold the best h2h against anan

Sundis likes this.
  7. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    https://360badminton.com/news/axels...ving-too-much-power-and-control-in-badminton/

it's what i've been saying for 40 years... and it is 100% bwf's doing.

the ?'s bwf refuses to answer is: badminton is in an individual sport so why do you give the badminton associations 100% control over the players?
    • the associations contribute $0.00 to tournament prize money.
    • the major associations have zero incentive to help promote the sport of badminton in any financial manner because they're getting $ from their own gov't.
    • all associations get sponsors for themselves, not for the growth of the sport as a whole.
    • major badminton companies will still sponsor tournaments without the existence of associations.
    • major badminton companies will still sponsor athletes. without having to sponsor an entire country's team more money will be available for tournament prize money.
    • badminton athletes will pursue their own training (coaches/methods/entourage/sponsors) like other individual sport athletes.
    bwf's only duties are to write & enforce the rules, raise money for tournament prize money, get a broadcasting deal which would increase tournament prize money and manage the calendar.

Cheung, Sundis, Potato420dr and 2 others like this.
  8. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
  9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I wonder how much that plane trip cost. From Ukraine to Demark is pretty far. And not only private jet, a medical private jet with doctors on board!

10. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I'd assume real cheap out of pocket (hopefully), with the purchase of travel insurance during the pandemic.

11. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    the fact he's not being transported for critical treatment or emergency surgical procedure a typical travel insurance policy would not cover it. otherwise i would think the team's policy would transport the other members also.

my first thought was his sponsors are picking up the tab and/or his other va brand companies are doing very well: va collection (apparel line), va academy (youtube channel), va health (health supplements). it's nice to see a badminton player being able to afford such a contingency.

he has a crystal clear priority: tokyo 2020+1

Shuttle goes whoosh and Dave1011 like this.
  12. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Apparently he paid it himself. The video:

Sundis likes this.
  13. CzechKronner

CzechKronner Regular Member

VA is pretty much a lock to compete for gold at the OG.

I wonder what others think.. virtually all of his success came about when Momota was not playing at all or playing poorly after a serious injury. Does it take away from VA's achievements?

14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

To quote Juan Manuel Fangio:
    „To finish first, you must first finish!“.

Don’t underestimate the pressure in this supposedly easy SF tomorrow. An underdog that has nothing to lose can be an extremely dangerous opponent.

The question is:
    Is this gold medal worth less because Momota didn’t show up in best shape and/or couldn’t cope with the immense pressure?
    IMO this is completely irrelevant. You can only control your own fate (to a certain extent), so all that Viktor could have done was to work as hard as possible to show up in his best possible shape. And that he had obviously done.
    If and how much Momota is still suffering from the aftereffects of this tragic car crash or his Covid infection is unclear and not within control of anyone.

The player that is on top of his game at a certain point in time will be the deserved winner. End of story.

#834 s_mair, Jul 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    visor, CzechKronner and LenaicM like this.
  15. CzechKronner

Good point. I do agree that should VA get Gold, it's as valuable as any other Gold medal won previously by other players.

However the interesting fact is that Axelsen never won anything big when Momota was healthy and competing.

Imagine that was the case when LD/LCW were playing and one of them would always be unavailable and/or injured (through no fault of his own to boot). I think it does come up when discussing all time greats for instance.

16. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

When Momota is out, Viktor always take his chance.

So I bet Viktor will win gold medal this time.

17. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    of course it does and always will come up. but it doesn't change anything, especially for whoever has the medal around their neck.

LenaicM likes this.
  18. RC47

RC47 Regular Member

He's a great player but even if he wins gold and more WC I'll never consider him a legend because of his terrible record against Momota (14-1).

19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Haters gonna hate.

Woesi and samkool like this.
  20. CzechKronner

Why is that hate? Why do you need to go to an extreme and call him a hater when he presented an argument.
    You may not like it.

But instead of offering a counter point, you call him a hater. How useless is that.

RC47 likes this.