XXXII Tokyo OG 2020 : DAY-6 (29th July 2021) XD Semifinal, MD & WD Quarterfinal, MS & WS R/16

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jul 28, 2021.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

No no, an armchair expert said hockey players can play 2 games in 24 hours, so badminton players can play 2 matches as well! Why stop there? Let those lazy cyclists at the Tour de France do a second stage every day, after all it's as easy as saying "2 contests are possible in a completely different sport, so it MUST be possible here too!"...
    That is besides the fact that most big Tennis tournaments actually have break days between the latter stage matches, but I guess we only look at other sports when it seems to prove our point

2. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

because that's lame
    for ranks and maintaining competitiveness

galaxyduo likes this.
  3. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

there is always new member to this forum that fight to the death for their opinion, while the same opinion has been debunked hundreds of times here hahahahaaaa
    I guess that's life anyway :)

badmintonpog1, j4ckie, Simeon and 2 others like this.
  4. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

Great post Justin, that’s the way I saw the match, I posted about LZJ being the Dragons reincarnate in the way he played,
    someone on here disagreed but heyho, everyone is welcome to their opinion.

P.S. you and Clelly are the 2 posters on here I follow and have liked your posts plenty,
    simply for the update on Chinese badminton scene,for that I thank you.

Cheung, Justin L and Quentin11 like this.
  5. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

such a shame ppl think success is about karma. The whole injured and passed away players and eveyone except the champion must be all evil that way.

You don't train enough, talent enough, you lose that's it

Baddyforall likes this.
  6. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Ahhh so it was you who said that - Dragon reincarnate. I remembered someone said that here but didn't remember who.

7. CzechKronner

CzechKronner Regular Member

What a fine logic comparing a multi-hour Tour de France Session with an hour long (or less) badminton match. Not even close in terms of physical exhaustion. And I am not an arm chair expert, I played ice hockey up to national level.

Tennis players also play longer matches than badminton players and that again adds up over time. Djokovic vs Nadal 4 or 5 hour battle takes a lot more out of them than LCW-Lin Dan 90 minutes match. It's just pure logic.

All I said is that age isn't as important in short term tournaments because recovery within a single tournament isn't a big issue. Which is true.
    It's the accumulation that counts. E.g. two or three tournaments in succession.

If you don't get it then you're ignorant on purpose. Or just daft.

kurako likes this.
  8. CzechKronner

I didn't say age is irrelevant. I said age doesn't matter as much in SHORT tournaments.

9. Signature

Signature Regular Member

So why didn't you play every minute of that 60 minute hockey match, its just 66% of the time of the badminton match :rolleyes:

Please look up anaerobic training and aerobic training regarding how the body converts glycogen to ATP and you can see that different sports will behave differently. Also lots of time in tennis is spent just resting between games.

I agree with the point of having slower recovery as you get older but this have been negated with different kinds of physical therapy, but the other points you are making are just weird.

Quentin11 and j4ckie like this.
  10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

You act like all those things are very comparable, done at similar intensity and with similar breaks. They're not. The fact that you played one sport to a certain level doesn't automatically mean you have any idea about other sports...
    Are you familiar with weight lifting? Those guys don't max out every single day, or repeat the same lift for hours. They strongly vary intensity and volume, despite the fact that a single session is way shorter than a TDF stage, or a 5-hour Tennis match (which will probably feature less than 2 hours of play, maybe even less than 90 minutes)...

You can't just throw around wild comparisons to other sports and then act like there's no such thing as fatigue from (comparatively) short periods of exercise. Almost all ex-pro commentators mention the fact that their recovery slowed when they aged, and that that was the most noticeable change (or one of them).

Cheung, galaxyduo and kaffars like this.
  11. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Indeed. These people are simply unbelievable. If you dont practice hard and work for the goal, then you won't achieve the goal. That's it.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Same. These players work hard to play at that level. We should appreciate what they've achieved.

badmintonpog1, Woesi and LenaicM like this.
  13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Just wondering, how old are you?

j4ckie likes this.
  14. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Kevin CORDON surprises me. At the age of 34, from the Country Guatemala, reaching Quarterfinals itself is quite an achievement. Sai Praneeth need to learn from this. Hats off to him.

LenaicM likes this.
  15. CzechKronner

You're the one who brought in Tdf and weightlifting.

Tennis and badminton are quite comparable. Of course not a perfect comparison but it at least shows some patterns and similarities.

Elite badminton tournaments are typically played in consecutive days. My whole point is that recovery during these types of tournaments isn't a huge challenge for older players. Because it's only a few days long. They can recover well enough for it to not be a significant factor.

Many players have proven that's the case.

Then someone was opposing that point of view at which time I brought up the other sports.

So Chen Long being older than LZJ and thereby recovering less efficiently isn't a huge factor in the Olympic tournament because it's a short tournament.

That's it.

Comparisons to other sports make sense insofar as to show that other older athletes in other sports can stay competitive or even dominate at an older age. If that isn't proof that recovery isn't a huge issue I don't know what is.

16. CzechKronner

I'm 33.

Just wondering, when will you finally recover the original kento Momota thread that's been missing for many months now?

17. badadum

badadum Regular Member

I see the armchair quarterback denizens are out in full force with all the "upset" today....and now we're also tossing karma around?? sheesh...

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Just wondering, what exactly do you think is a significant factor? We're talking elite sports here, not our level. People don't need to be exhausted beyond belief to be negatively impacted by the previous day's effort, even a 5% decrease in performance can be quite significant. You bringing up standout players that dominated for a long time is actually not proving anything. First off, it's almost an anecdotal sample site, secondly, they all played worse than in their time later on - they were just so great that that was still enough to win tournaments, at least sometimes.
    Additionally, you're moving goal posts, nobody said older athletes weren't competitive, just that they recover slower, among other things.
    No one is saying you hit a brick wall at 30 and can't compete anymore, just that age is a factor. Even in day-to-day recovery, not just over several weeks. You're arguing that age is irrelevant, at least regarding recovery in competitions of...less than 3 weeks? What exactly is a long tournament for you, btw...?
    Find just one credible source that proves your claim that age isn't a factor in day-to-day recovery, please. I'll wait.

LenaicM likes this.
  19. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

A Lin Dan- Lee Chong Wei 95 minutes match would be more draining than a 4 hr tennis match with a lot of aces, mto, change of end breaks, plus 1 minute ball bounces.

Badminton footwork is more taxing than the lateral movement in tennis.

Woesi and LenaicM like this.
  20. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

I played both badminton and tennis at beginner to intermediate level.

The stamina you need is different and cannot be compared.

I also happened to do dressage and showjumping at an even higher level that I did for tennis and badminton. You require a whole different type of stamina. So it cannot be compared.

For me the reason why tennis players can hold it at older age is because the stamina is different.

Tennis is cardio intensive. It is a pure endurance thing. So basically, running side to side mostly with rotation of torso and core and lowering your legs. Your swing of your arm is basically just carrying the inertia generated by your rotation.

Badminton on the other hand is still cardio but also body weight lifting and explosion. Footwork in six direction with rotation of torso and core and endless lunges and endless jumps. You actually have to swing your arm and generate power from it + from rotation.

Very different. Age is a bigger factor in badminton. Chen Long is a monster. Huge respect. Like Lee Hyun Il. Well LCW. Superb example of a ridiculous monster.