Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Race to Yokyo rankings were different from BWF rankings.

lurker likes this.
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Will they get trolled by Indonesian fans?

Sumanth99, kaffars and samkool like this.
  3. Biglever

Biglever Regular Member

Engineer
    How does bullying people in social media deserving? Are you kidding me?

It's his personal life and he can do whatever he wants. It's the coach's responsibility to take action if he didn't follow the team's rules/policies. I didn't hear any news about him missing practice or not committing to badminton. So don't encourage online bullying.

Let's go India

Woesi and Baddie lover like this.
  4. lurker

lurker Regular Member

still waiting to see the throw racquet tantrum clip to be posted...

galaxyduo likes this.
  5. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

There's a low quality clip here, the only thing I saw so far

WhiteStringJunkie, Cheung and lurker like this.
  6. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

I think the problem with the minions is that they peaked after Rio 2016. They won so many SS but after a while, other teams and coaches started to analyze how the minions were winning, and figured them out for the biggest tournaments, such as the WC and Olympics. In addition, being ranked #1 adds more pressure on them to perform at the WC and Olympics.

An example of a doubles team that peaked at the right time was Matsutomo/Takashi before Rio 2016. Matsutomo/Takashi had won a few SS before Rio 2016 but it was still uncertain whether they were really the best WD team heading into Rio 2016. And less people expected Matsutomo/Takashi to win gold at Rio 2016 so there was less pressure on them. Plus, few teams and coaching staff had figured out the details of Matsutomo/Takashi's weaknesses before Rio 2016. Matsutomo/Takashi would continue to win more SS for another year, but then other WD teams and opposing national coaching staff started to catch on to Matsutomo/Takashi's weaknesses. Then Matsutomo/Takashi became beatable, just one year after Rio 2016.

Too bad the minions didn't peak just before Rio 2016. None of the teams would have figured them out yet and they would have had a better chance at winning the gold medal.

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I honestly think it's more their mentality and the pressure they feel than others figuring them out, I don't think anyone has quite figured out KSS (maybe himself included :D)

8. wade

wade Regular Member

They lost to both wang/lee and aaron/soh for the first time in this olympics, it had nothing to do with the opponent figured them out with all due respect, they just choke badly as usual

I will be super disappointed if herry keep this partnership after this disaster, indonesia MD has always been about delivering in big event and minions has failed to do that time and time again. fajar/rian is a good talent and individually they're great, there's no reason for the coach to not try a new partnership.

Cheung, indrg and kaffars like this.
  9. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Pair Kevin with someone who is not a liability in service & defense.

rhoder likes this.
  10. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

Kevin not playing like Kevin was the biggest issue - usually he would play at 120% confidence level, making shots only he could make, but on that day he was actually playing like any other player, dropping and playing defensive when he had to, which is quite rare for him. His plays were too reasonable, but playing logical and reasonable is quite uncharacteristic of him - Kevin is all about trying shots no one would dare making, and still make them anyway very consistently. It's not that he was bad, he played quite good (for world class player standards) but usually he would be phenomenal, which means he was bad for KSS standards. On that day, he was only a world class player, when in fact he usually plays quite beyond that.

#6350 ChocoChipWaffle, Jul 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    visor likes this.
  11. visor

visor Regular Member

It would seem that nervous jitters are paralyzing some of the top players at this OG. Like Momota, WataHiga, WataEndo, MatsuNaga, and also surprisingly this INA pair. Very unusual of them to keep serving into the net or hitting shots into the net or way long and wide. Definitely the pressure of the once in 4 years event is messing up their mentality, especially if they are the top ones that are targeted by others and expected to medal.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

12. kaffars

kaffars Regular Member

Geologist

Tbh I would say unsurprisingly this Indo pair. Come largest events they seem to waiver and bottle it. Esp at world championship. Every year I think they would have gained exp/matured to combat it.

wade likes this.
  13. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Too bad. will they stay for 2024? Not easy for Gideon age. ;)

14. kaffars

kaffars Regular Member

Geologist

Maybe they will do the same story as Ashan/Setiawan. Split up for a few years and then rejoin.

extremenanopowe and Cheung like this.
  15. wade

wade Regular Member

What's the point of that tho, at least before ahsan/hendra rejoin the coach knew their record in big event.

16. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    1) Wallop limpele..a good coach.. Malaysian beat 2 indonesia pairs. wakaka.. just joking.

2) Do not be world no. 1 in 2024. Jinx.

3) Get limpele to coach. He did well for india as well. ;)

17. Nine Tailed Fox

I would like a real technician with Kevin SS now who operates in the same technical realm as Sukamuljo.

A sort of Zhang Nan type player. I think that way Kevin can dominate even more.

18. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

Kevin first and foremost needs someone who can handle his recklessness. The one weakness in Kevin’s game is that it’s very hard for his partner to read his plays beforehand, because of how eccentric he is. That means you need someone who has excellent court coverage and shuttle-retrieval ability to withstand his risk-taking, someone in the vain of Zheng Siwei, Watanabe. Despite people being underwhelmed by Gideon, the one important thing he does well is that he can somewhat follow-up on Kevin’s reckless plays, and a player like that is not going to be easy to replace. They’re going to have to go find someone young, who has the game sense to instinctively follow up on Kevin, because there’s no way someone in their late 20’s or older will be able to follow Kevin’s pace in the long run. It’s why Gideon started looking bad as soon as age caught up with him, which has been happening since 2019 at the very least.

Imagine someone like Setiawan having to deal with clean-up duties when paired with Kevin. Setiawan may be a better player than Gideon even at 36, but there’s no way he would be able to deal with that sort of court coverage. That’s why it’s not just as simple as matching talent and talent together when forming pairs.

19. Nine Tailed Fox

I think people overrate Gideon on this forum.

rhoder likes this.
  20. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

And does not have a weak smash and net interception skills that shows up once in a blue moon.