YONEX EXBOLT 0.63mm

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Vivek Bagadhi, Jan 7, 2021.

1. bk_ngo

bk_ngo Regular Member

Senior Manager
    Disclaimer: 100zz user on 66um and strung at 28x26lbs

My first impression: eb63 seems thicker and a bit harder than 66um at a same tension even though eb63’s spec says that it is supposed to be thinner.

Hitting sound: 66um is giving me boom sound whereas eb63’s sound is at higher pitch. It comes down to personal liking. I prefer 66um.

Back court clear/steep smash/drive/defense: yes, I do feel a noticeable repulsion from ex62 than 66um but 11/10 repulsion spec is a gimmicky one. Overall, ex63 gives me a little extra support and it is nice! Eb63 is the winner

Handling and control: IMO, it is quite ridiculous when Yonex rates 10/10 for both strings. They are not the same and of course it comes down to personal tastes. For me, I don’t do much shots required shuttle held on string-bed; therefore I don’t have any preference. I can see 66um is softer so it is a bit easier to hold shuttle on string-bed, of course I can do it with eb63 but need to adapt to. Control wise: 66um but eb63 does a good job.

Tension retention/durability: no idea, too new. I assume eb63 does better due to new tech applied.

Other aspects: both strings, I have a small problem with slippery but ex63 is worse than 66um at the same tension (I am using yellow version of ex63).

In the nutshell, eb63 is like a thinner gauge version of 80p with some noticeable improvements. Perhaps, I do expect eb63 can bring Yonex string product line to the next level like what they did with 66um but no and not that much from my frankly opinion. I will continuously test eb63 but nothing wows me atm. Sorry for my bad English and hope it helps for your decision.

#21 bk_ngo, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  2. wengheng

wengheng New Member

I am a long time fan of bg66um. Then I decided to try various strings. Among the strings that I enjoy are 80p, No1 boost and aerobite. But I must say EB63 really stands out. The repulsion is indeed as claimed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

Here's my review of the Exbolt 63. Yonex is onto a good one!!

4. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Thanks for the great review. We need more high quality content like yours in badminton. I especially loved the head cam hitting the shuttle!

The string sounds like BG85. The metallic sound and stiffness all resonate with my experience using that string. I'm surprised it's not as hard feeling as aerobite though. I've noticed aerobite feels hard and quite grippy when fresh but softens quite a lot after a week or two. I was gonna try the string next but now I'm not sure if there's any point anymore as I don't feel this string is special in any way.

Hemanth Hariharan likes this.
  5. BadJunkie

BadJunkie Regular Member

Agreed with most comments here, the string is repulsive and yet feels much harder than 66um... its a weird one this string..

interm of string tension retention, i dont feel its that good. i also snapped it on my 3rd session at 29lbs :( durability seems much worse than 66um. even after first session i can see significant wear already

6. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

thanks for the kind comments! I’m surprised lots of people liked seeing the head cam action

I agree with you in saying Aerobite is slightly harder at the start but do soften slightly with time.
    Both aerobite and exbolt 63 are both medium feeling although it could just be the metallic feeling of the exbolt 63 that might give it an edge in the long run.

#26 ckyew, Apr 22, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    Hemanth Hariharan likes this.
  7. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

Wowww, how hard were you hitting to see wear on the first session? :D

8. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I think the head cam is a very unique perspective that we don't get to see often if at all. The fact that you have good hitting technique it almost puts us on the court through the video. It's actually a great way to showcase strings I think. Imagine if you had side by side comparisons of hitting sounds for the same shot with different strings.

ckyew likes this.
  9. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

Thanks! I'll incorporate that more into my future videos :)

10. ScreamingB

ScreamingB New Member

Ditto.. cant comment much about the string characteristics but durability is not that good. I had 27lbs on my Nanoflare 800. After 1 session of about 1.5 hours of play, I can see significant wear.

11. BadJunkie

BadJunkie Regular Member

I have a decent smash, I’m a rear court player. Tbh I counted the sessions wrong , it only lasted 2 sessions cause it broke on the first game of my 3rd session first and last time I’ll b using these strings . I’ll b sticking back to 66um or any of the aerobites

12. zensmash

zensmash New Member

how does it compare to aerosonic ?

13. zensmash

zensmash New Member

yo.. ck bigfan! good videos ..if i ever visit London again would love to come find a decent game in UK :)

How does exbolt compare to aerosonic ?

ckyew likes this.
  14. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

Thank you for the support! The only Aerosonic I've used is from the Aerobite hybrid so I can't comment on that but the Exbolt certainly does feel and sound nice for me

Vivek Bagadhi likes this.
  15. keane_mark2

keane_mark2 Regular Member

I tried it, and its meh not impressed. The durability was good. however the main problem was getting used to it, it took a good session or two to get used to it, and even then if you didn't hit the sweet spot the shots were so mediocre. Very low margin for error. I guess high level players might like it but for me I'll stick to my nanogy 99 until I find something better.

16. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Been training in Thailand (6 days a week, 3 hours on court practice a day) for last few weeks and been using exbolt 63 exclusively. Will play with it some more, and write up a more in-depth review maybe next week, or record a video for it

17. Shuttle goes whoosh

Shuttle goes whoosh Regular Member

I got the chance to have some of my rackets strung with the exbolts (I normally use Aerobites) and quite frankly, it's way too slippery for me. I can see why people would like it but Im way too accustomed to the aerobites

18. xZhongCheng

xZhongCheng Regular Member

Systems Analyst
    I think any string you use after Aerobites would be slippery, atleast thats how I feel ahaha

Shuttle goes whoosh likes this.
  19. SgtGains

SgtGains Regular Member

Can anybody share their experience when it comes to the durability of the string in terms of ability to hold tension? How often would you need to replace it? 10 hours? 24 hours of play? (once a month).

Thank you

20. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    I think I would do after 20-30 hours of play. I train 30 hours a week and can tell that end of week tension is definitely 1-2 pounds looser. There is a sort of crisp repulsion feeling when it's new, and it kinda loses that crispness but is still repulsive at end of the week for me. STill playable but lose touch for nets and stuff