Carolina Marin: Spain

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by scuInd78, Nov 23, 2011.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Winning two Olympic titles back to back clearly would have been her masterpiece that put her up to a league of her own (Lin Dan would be allowed in there too…).
    It’s just tragic that she is now denied of even fighting for that goal. The way she played at the previous tournaments after her first ACL rupture and recovery was astounding.

2024 is still another three years down the road - a lot of things can happen in three years. I think we just have to be patient to see how she will recover and what goals she will set for herself afterwards.

Cheung likes this.
  2. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I've always wondered if not getting injured (at least less often at important time) is a key trait for becoming GOAT or winning big titles, Some players can be GOAT beaters or better skilled but cannot win big because of the frequent injuries.

May be when defining GOAT we need to add new parameter "Less injury prone" along with usual "Skill", "Titles", may be better countries like China and Indonesia are usually more vigilant to not getting injurie compared to Spain's and India's.

All GOATs have high rating in 'Skill' and 'Less injury prone' parameters although there can be players with higher 'Skill' rating.

3. khoai

khoai Regular Member

I think Marin was pushing too hard for the record 5 European championship titles. Records are there for a reason and to achieve something like that, you'll have to sacrifice something else. Not sure if it's worth it for her this time.

4. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

china is a bad example: wang lin, wang xin, li xuerui, gao fanjie

visor likes this.
  5. visor

visor Regular Member

There have been studies done that show that somehow female athletes are more prone to this type of injury due to the greater Q angle at the knee.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk
    View attachment 198790

Cheung likes this.
  6. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    You answered my doubts. Thanks. I was thinking how come only Wang Lin, Wang Xin, Li Xue Rui, Gao Fan Jie but not the other male players from China.

7. vozer here

my question: is acl an accident, it wouldnt happen if they can avoid that bad moment? Or acl is a process, gaining until the broken point?

8. vozer here

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Very likely the former. When twisted badly or landing awkwardly.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

"Today I suffered some discomfort during today's training that forced me to withdraw from it. After the first tests carried out, the doctors have been able to verify that the anterior cruciate ligament of the left knee has been affected."

Having read her post, she mentioned discomfort, not pain. That means it's not as serious as a rupture or tear.

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

She has clearly stated on her Instagram that it’s a rupture:
    [​IMG]

The initial description of the injury read a lot less serious.

visor likes this.
  12. visor

visor Regular Member

Good to hear. Also a tear is much less serious than a rupture, as the latter means complete tear. As it is now her surgery is probably just for cleaning and debridement and not a more extensively ACL reconstruction which means rupture and much longer recovery time. But even then with 47 days left to OG, even a minor injury will set her back in training and conditioning preparations, so a serious defence of her OG gold will very likely be out of the question.

13. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I somehow feel that you have missed some content. It's already clear that she will not participate in the Olympics:

visor likes this.
  14. Shuttle goes whoosh

Shuttle goes whoosh Regular Member

Having torn an ACL myself during my teenage years, I do emphasize with her; it will take a minimum of a year (surgery + recovery + post-surgery physical therapy) before she's able to even step on the court. Best of luck and prayers to her recovery!

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think it should be earlier on court for her because she will have access to the top facilities for post surgical rehabilitation.

What will be very interesting is how will she be able to adapt her game to restrictions placed by the injuries. Her current game is based on physicality and speed. That’s how she overcomes the technique players like ratchanok and Tai Tzu Ying. Would she try to change her game the way Lin Dan did from 2013 onwards?

badmintonpog1 likes this.
  16. RC47

RC47 Regular Member

Don't think 2013 Lin Dan's playstyle would work, she doesn't have the technique/deception and game reading to pull it off.

Without her aggression and speed I can't picture her beating grinders/rally players like Nozomi/Akane/Chen Yufei/An Se Young.

visor and Sumanth99 like this.
  17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Unfortunately, Lin Dan's transformation in 2013, no doubt extraordinary, was only good for a couple of years initially largely owing to novelty effect and his awesome reputation, for soon - without his crack attacking , fast and furious, sudden injection of pace as well as (counter)attack is the best defense kind of game, trademarks that defined his style and earned him the epithet (coined by Peter Gade) : Super Dan! - his legendary aura faded.

Instead he became just another version of Lin Dan, if you know what I mean. That's not to say there is little or no merit to the post-2013 Lin Dan, well, it did win him his 5th world title in 2013 followed by the Asian Games gold in 2014, and, who knows, he might even have captured another world championship in 2014 had BWF granted him another wild-card entry then. But, just simply no longer the iconic, all-conquering, awe-inspiring characteristic Super Dan, one whom his great rival Peter Gade once admitted was near-impossible to beat even when not at his best. The rest, as they say, is history.

As for Marin trying to do a 2013 Lin Dan a couple years down the road, not impossible but , to me, quite a stretch of the imagination, esp given Marin's physically demanding aggressive game. Besides, there is no precedent of any top women's singles player changing their play-style whether in their mid-career or late stage. Even the mighty Lee CW, as talented as he is, never attempted to do so. Indeed, Lin Dan's case is something of a rare phenomenon.

On another note, Marin is a big-game player, a pity she is in no position to defend her Olympic gold this summer. At age 27 now, I'm afraid time is not on her side in future Olympics. True, Zhang Ning won her second Olympic gold at the ripe old age of 32 in badminton terms, unprecedented in women's singles, and a record-breaking feat, that by maintaining her balanced all-round game. Still, personally, I won't bet on it for Marin.

#797 Justin L, Jun 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    LenaicM likes this.
  18. vozer here

i dont think marin have to try much for european championship. She's in best form in major cup because she's always has 1 or 2 months trainning hard before the tournament. And that make her injured

Cheung likes this.
  19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    She targets the big ones and it’s world championships and Olympics plus enough ranking points to get seeded

20. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Anyone know what Carolina Marin's target for a comeback is? Is she gearing up to play the Huelva WC in Dec or is that too soon?