Carolina Marin: Spain

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by scuInd78, Nov 23, 2011.

1. MarketWizard

MarketWizard Regular Member

Well as I said, it wasn't the injury. I'm not some sadistic person that gets pleasure from knowing this. It's just the fact that I don't like her personality which makes me glad she probably won't get the gold medal. You think Nozomi Okuhara, Tai Tzu Ying, and every other spectator in the world who has complained about her screaming and unsportsmanlike conduct in the past aren't secretly feeling the same as I am? It's just a silent majority isn't vocal about it (maybe for good reason, I dunno. I probably shouldn't have said anything), so consider my previous post a mistake and I retract my statement due to the abrasive nature. Apologies for anyone who took offense to it or took it the wrong way.

2. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

That doesn't change the fact you cheered for someone's misfortune. You can turn it however you want.

To claim there is a silent majority is dubious and what people say to justify or support their agenda without proof. So easy to say. Where do you get the datas to back up the assumption you are part of a silent majority regarding CM? Few users on the forum? You talk for millions of badminton fans or believe your way is the way?

Also do you have any records of N.O. or TTY complaining about it or do you just use some big names of the sport to back up your opinion and justify your thoughts/words.

Lastly what a lousy apologies. "Retract my statement due to the abrasive nature", "apologies for anyone who took offense". You make it sounds like we are too sensitive for your reality.

Let me tell you, no one takes offense, in fact we couldn't care if you wish the worst to CM and we don't need or want an apology. You can say whatever you want and own it, but that doesn't mean you won't have some mixed reactions to this kind of statement.

3. MarketWizard

MarketWizard Regular Member

Well since you asked.... just look at the comment section on youtube of matches she's played. I randomly got one video of her in the Thai open where she lost,

And it's filled with nothing but comments of her lack of sportsmanship and screaming. Here's a couple of screenshot, and these ones aren't even the worst ones. Just scroll through the 700 comments and let me know if you can find even 3 comments that support her and I'll show you 50 that talk about how much they don't like her for every 1 of them.
    https://ibb.co/8NqZzP0
    https://ibb.co/S5vrVM3
    https://ibb.co/5vX8PhY

If you look at the ratio of support vs hate towards her, you'll clearly see how pretty much All the comments are directed toward how loud and unsportsmanlike she is. I think youtube comments are a pretty good representation of how the fans feel towards her since it's more anonymous than a forum like this with a fan thread dedicated to her.

While I did jump the gun and say Tai Tzu Ying and Nozomi Okuhara dislike her without evidence, I think it's clear from their body language and facial expressions that she gets on their nerves. And furthermore, she's a good player so one less competitor for them increases the gold medal chances, so why wouldn't they be glad? While it's an assumption, it's still logical that they aren't hoping for her to come back and kick their ass.

If you didn't take any offense to it, and if you couldn't care less about it, you wouldn't bother replying to my apology where I admitted I was being abrasive, apologized for it, and retracted my statement. But I can see that there's nothing I can say that will be sufficient for you since it's still stiring up some negative feelings so I'll just end the discussion here and stop talking about this subject.

Suilven and visor like this.
  4. visor

visor Regular Member

It's not really her screaming (that can be excused as her way of pumping herself up) but the way she returns shuttles to her opponent purposely to the wrong side of the court or just 2 inches across the net line shows her passive aggressive nature ...

With most players you enjoy the sport revelling in the shots and exchanges, but with her, I'd rather watch another game...

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

5. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Manipulation / wrong assumption of the datas. 707 comments for 423 000 views. Even if the 707 comments are hating on CM what about the other 422 300 viewers? The silent majority you were talking about? :D

It's clear from TTY and NO body language for you. That's your interpretation of it. Not making it clear or universal.

I didn't take any offense. I dislike CM style of play and I usually skip her matches. But I find it so low to hate on someone for so little to the extent of feeling content (made your day) to hear she won't be playing at the olympics.

I agree let's stop here. Everything has been said and knowing how this made your day and how you invented TTY and NO's complains to justify it is plenty enough for me.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Re TTY and NO, yes there's been some fleeting annoyed looks from them when they play against Marin. Especially with her delays in receiving serve and also avoiding being screamed at by Marin near the net when they make a mistake at the net.

7. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

For sure. They are main rivals. And for sure it's annoying when CM does that.

But that's still far from saying they explicitly complained about it.

By the way her 2019 ACL injury was a complete tear. Not to compare with other injuries, but we already had this discussion in another topic last year after her first comeback victory.

I have to repeat it but I'm no CM fan but I respect her as at athlete in regards of her accomplishments.

8. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I can only agree with that. Yet she isn't the only one showing unsportsmanship behaviour. LD did far worst. Yet his behaviours were better accepted.

I still believe the fact she is a woman tick some people off. Her behaviour is very agressive indeed.

rajat_remar and visor like this.
  9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Seriously, can we just cut that useless discussion? Heaven knows I don’t like how she behaves on court, but she is undoubtedly one of the best players of her generation and an Olympic title without her being part of the competition would be lacking a lot of flair.
    I hope she will be in her best shape for the Olympics, even if her attitude for sure will be driving me nuts once again.

And cheering for someone’s injury because of her lack of sportsmanship? Oh, the irony.
    Grow up, dude!

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker

“The 27-year-old made the announcement via a statement on social media that she had suffered discomfort in training and that the tests had confirmed the injury. "After the first tests carried out, the doctors have verified that the anterior cruciate ligament of the left knee has been affected. Soon I will be able to give you more information," she said.“

Was it this account? I don’t know Spanish :(

"">

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    A thought crossed my mind.

Could it be her announcement is part of a psychological strategy pre Olympics ? In a way, she could be trying to confuse potential opponents with ‘information’.

DKCPH2018 likes this.
  12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Yes, that was the original statement.

Regarding the possible psychological warfare… it’s a bit too much conspiracy theory for me. In the past, she has always been in best shape after a quiet (pun intended) well planned preparation phase. I don’t think it would fit into her usual modus operandi before major events to cause unnecessary attention.

#752 s_mair, May 30, 2021
    Last edited: May 30, 2021
    LenaicM likes this.
  13. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

total none related while we're talking abt cheering for someone's injury, nothing else but just express yourself
    none related answer. Even if you find some comment said they're happy she's injured, it's just show how poor behavior they are. More ppl wrong the same doesnt make it right

#753 vozer here, May 30, 2021
  14. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

she had an injury before wc 2015 that people think it's 'fake news strategy". But she really has a small injury that make her can't play the month after wc 2015

this time, maybe something else less serious than acl

15. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

Witnessed today in the Austrian Open finals her fellow countrywoman Azurmendi did the same,
    barely pushed the shuttle under the net after losing the point, her bad influence has come to the fore,
    agreed with others I totally switch off from watching games she’s involved with,
    the worst example of a player to ever grace the courts of our beautiful game.

16. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I realise that this discussion has run its course, but for my two-pennies' worth, let me just add that Okuhara, one of the few participants who made the decision to travel from Japan, took part in the Denmark Open last autumn, simply so that she could play against Carolina Marin. She made this clear in interviews.

There may well be fleeting glances on court, but Okuhara has publicly voiced her like and respect for Marin.

badmintonpog1 likes this.
  17. visor

visor Regular Member

Haha... Although it would be professional harikiri to voice anything otherwise in public. Especially so as many Japanese tend to be reserved. But for sure, in terms of pure physicality, Marin is the ultimate nemesis for WS.

#757 visor, May 30, 2021
  18. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Come on, Okuhara did not have to go out of her way to say anything. All the same, she made it clear that she would go to Denmark so that she could play against Marin.

Moreover, you would have to agree that Okuhara does not really fit the stereotype of a reserved Japanese. She is clear and vocal about her opinions.

LenaicM likes this.
  19. viver

viver Regular Member

For a professional player, especially the ones at the top, the only objective is to win at the participating tournaments. Maybe the feeling of achieving the second place in a tournament is like being in the first place counting from the last...
    I do not like Marin's behavior on the court, but this does not mean the matches involving her are less spectacular. It's always great to watch matches involving players with different styles. Playing against Marin, the players need to even focus more and not her behavior affect them psychologically and on court strategy.

20. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

She should have been prevented from picking up a Badminton racket and given a Tennis one instead,
    they need abrasive characters like her, she would have been a refreshing addition to the ranks being a screamer instead of a grunter,
    she gives a new meaning to the term “win ugly”.