Badminton in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by gaDEfan, May 6, 2007.

1. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
  2. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Unfortunately, it looks like that is not going to happen anymore.

3. kurako

kurako Regular Member

With the postponement of the India Open, it appears that Tsuneyama's position as Japan's MS2 in the Olympic Race has been cemented. There are simply not enough tournaments left for Nishimoto to make up the points.

4. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

I'm afraid of no Olympic this year.

5. kurako

kurako Regular Member

The Japan Ranking Circuit (National Team B+; top 32 players in each category, excluding National Team A) will be held on May 29-June 2. The draw was published today, and can be accessed at https://www.badminton.or.jp/ranking/circuit/2021/docs/combination20210423.pdf. <Japanese only>

As far as Men's Singles is concerned, watch out for dark horse Tanaka Yushi. It is difficult to make predictions, but I consider Tanaka, Onodera, or maybe Shimono to have the best chance of taking the championship.

The top three seeds, Koga M., Naraoka, and Igarashi are not confidence-inspiring at the moment, ... but the latter two have comparatively straight-forward draws. Looking at the respective quarters, Naraoka's biggest obstacle is probably himself :rolleyes:; Igarashi, by contrast may be challenged by new kid on the block, Hatano Riku, or by former A-team veteran Sakai Kazumasa.

The left-hand side of the draw, which includes Koga, Tanaka, Shimono, and Onodera is more dynamic, and should provide some entertaining badminton.

As no spectators are allowed to enter the hall, I expect the tournament to be live-streamed. More information on that later. :):)

Pcyl and terrynguyen121988 like this.
  6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Case numbers in Japan are increasing....a lot

terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  7. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

I really hope these matches will be telecast over internet. Thanks kurako.

8. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Just yesterday it was announced that the matches will be livestreamed on SMASH and NET.TV (https://www.smash-net.tv/). National Team B players have really faced a drought as far as tournaments are concerned. It is going to be interesting to see their performances.

upload_2021-5-19_9-28-28.png

Pcyl and jyeung like this.
  9. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

Thanks again kurako!

Just for fun, my limited predictions:

MS : Shimono
    WS : Asuka Takahashi
    MD : ??
    WD : ??
    XD : ??

I have seen Shimono and A. Takahashi play and they looked consistent as far as speed, stamina, arm / wrist strength, creativity, attacking instinct, patience, accuracy, multi-tasking ... are concern. These days, racket skills and foot work are more or less almost equal. So, how players prepare ... physical strength and personality discipline plays an important role.

#2169 Pcyl, May 19, 2021
    Last edited: May 19, 2021
    kurako likes this.
  10. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Just to follow up on the livestreaming of the Japan Ranking Circuit: Dates and times (JST) are as follows:

Site: SMASH and NET.TV (https://www.smash-net.tv/)

5/29 10:00~ R1
    5/30 10:00~ R2
    5/31 10:00~ QF
    6/1 10:00~ SF
    6/2 10:00~ Finals

Apparently, 2 courts will be shown.

boon_keng, Cunning Linguist and Pcyl like this.
  11. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Let me see, ... my half-wishful, haphazard predictions are:

MS: I, too, like Shimono, but this could go to Tanaka Yushi (or possibly, Onodera Yusuke. ... They are in the same half of the draw, though, along with Shimono)
    WS: Takahashi Asuka
    MD: New Unisys combination, Inoue/Mitsuhashi??
    WD: This is really difficult: I will root for Nakanishi/Iwanaga, but Hoshi/Matsuda may well take it again.
    XD: Probably one of the NTT-East pairs. Either Yamashita/Shinoya or Nishikawa/Ozaki, with the former being slightly more entertaining to watch.

I haven't seen most of these players in action for the past one-and-a-half years, and really have very little idea about their current performance. Should be fun, though.

Pcyl likes this.
  12. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Oh dear, COVID-19 is leaving its mark on the Ranking Circuit already. A JTEKT trainer tested positive for the virus just over a week ago, resulting in ten players, who had contact with him, having to withdraw from the tournament. As this is the second largest domestic tournament, it carries quite a few domestic ranking points, ... much to the chagrin of the players concerned.

Incidentally, Gondo, of Gondo/Kurihara fame, who is now affiliated to JTEKT, did not have contact with the trainer and, hence, was able to play this morning. He and Shigeta Miku of ACT SAIKYO, beat Unisys pair Onodera/Iwanaga to proceed to R2.

Pcyl and trizzforce like this.
  13. kurako

kurako Regular Member

So much for my predictions. :rolleyes:

Tanaka Yushi was shown the door by Tonami newbie, Takahashi Ko in R1. Unbelievable!! This leaves Koga Minoru as the firm favourite in the top left quarter.

Incidentally, Sato Sayaka (former A-ranker) bared her fangs after a slow start, and went on to beat Unisys player, Kayama Miho.

Pcyl likes this.
  14. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Surprise R1 defeats so far:

MS:
    Takahashi Ko (Tonami) 2-1 Tanaka Yushi (Nihon U)

WS:
    Konishi Haruna (Marusugi Bluvic) 2-1 Nidaira Natsuki (Tonami)
    Nakashizu Akari (NTT-East) 2-1 Gunji Riko (Saishunkan)

Pcyl likes this.
  15. yuon

yuon Regular Member

Takahashi Ko was quite impressive in his win against Tanaka Yushi, after a very slow start. Very quick on his feet and was all over the court. Tanaka was finding it difficult to end the rally. I found myself rooting for Takahashi to win so that I could see him play some more :p. A player to look out for if he can keep it up!

Pcyl likes this.
  16. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Looks like Naraoka is only winning because his very, very weak opponent has been out of breath since game 1. I know some of you still have hopes for him, but I don't see it anymore. He hasn't progressed one bit since he was 16.

17. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

Thanks kurako. I enjoy reading all your post. Do keep us updated on the results and do share your observation and impressions.

I am trying to watch the live matches as much as possible but sometimes i miss some matches. Also, I haven't been able to figure out yet the complete schedule of who vs who. I know in an age of on line language translation, it should not be to hard to find out. Players that I wouldn't want to miss watching are Shimono and Asuka Takahashi. Now, because of some post here, it looks like I must also look out for Takahashi Ko. I understand some doubles also performed quite well in the last Japan's local tournament.

#2177 Pcyl, May 29, 2021
    Last edited: May 29, 2021
  18. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Thanks, @Pcyl! Actually, as only two courts were livestreamed, no-one saw Shimono or Takahashi Asuka play today. One mesmerising match, which I did manage to watch on Court 2, involved Naraoka Kodai (seed no. 2) versus Takeuchi Hiroki (seed no. 31, Marusugi Bluvic). Naraoka prevailed 21-19 in the final game, but I wonder whether he will have any strength left for tomorrow's game; his right calf was already heavily strapped.

Takahashi Asuka will play tomorrow from around 11:20 am, Japan Standard Time. And Shimono is expected to start at approximately 12:40. I believe that Takahashi may be on Court 1.

Pcyl likes this.
  19. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Yep. And the other new Tonami addition, Hatano Riku, is also promising. He, too, has gone through to R2, and will be facing ex- Team A player, Sakai Kazumasa today.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It s actually quite strange this tournament is going ahead despite the case numbers and public opposition to the major sporting event in a couple of months.