11 x 5 scoring format proposal

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by CLELY, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Zaphod

Zaphod Regular Member

Its seems has been rejected

stradrider and kwun like this.
  2. Hickton

Hickton Regular Member

:eek:

3. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

4. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    wow what a narrow margin.

The proposal lost by 1.0151999999999983 votes

5. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I think this is good news for Japanese players like Momota, Okuhara who rely on stamina and bad news for Ginting etc.

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Very surprising result. Why would they even start another push if they weren’t 100% sure to have enough votes?

But okay, a lot of fuzz about nothing on the end.

Cheung likes this.
  7. Hickton

Hickton Regular Member

Yes it's strange. The BWF fansite article I read yesterday seemed to think it was a done deal. I suspect some association has said one thing but then voted the other way for some reason...

s_mair and kwun like this.
  8. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I was initially surprised when korean association supported this cause most of their play style is long/defensive/stamina based, it is easy to suspect them if this is the case.

It was understandable that Indonesian and Taipei supported this because players like Ginting and Tai can benefit better from shorter so than can focus well on reducing unforced errors and also stamina wise.

My guesses :
    Support: Indo, Taipei, India, Denmark, Spain, Thailand (Intanon losing most of 3rd setters o_O)
    Against: Japan, Korea
    May be support: Malaysia, China.

9. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I agree with you. may be more than one association took turn.

The proposal lost due to 1 vote.
    (66.67-66.31)*282/100

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That statistical analysis was good but I wonder why they only published it at a very late stage. Maybe they should have also done some analysis at a grass roots level as well.

I still remember when they stupidly tried 5 sets of 9 points

They also tried to reduce mixed doubles to 11 points which ironically ended up making women’s singles longer.

That’s why now BWF loses credibility on changing the scoring system because we are just too tired of more changes. I actually quite like five games. In many matches in local competitions here in HK, they are based on one game to 21 points so a change in the scoring system, if it had occurred, would result in local matches probably changing to 3x11 points. Maybe club games would have changed to 3x11 as well.

olli and s_mair like this.
  11. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
  12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Fully agreed. The communication was done terribly all the way. Too late and they kept the full focus on professional badminton.
    I mean, why should the normal once-a-week club player care about TV coverage, ad revenues and player incomes? Just scroll through the social media comments - the communications strategy was a complete disaster.

I wonder why big federations don’t spend some money on a decent PR consultant when they are planning to do such a stunt. For example, there has been zero information from the German federation regarding the possible change of scorings. Why not push the idea into the clubs by the National federations to motivate the clubs to do some tests with it?

As you say, I think there are a lot of interesting options for recreational badminton which they just plain ignored to point out.
    In our club we just started discussing to host a singles tournament, playing with 3x11 in the first rounds and 3x21 in the semi- and final stage. As I said before, they are so many recreational players who stopped playing singles because it was too physically demanding.

Cheung, I3ugs and olli like this.
  13. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Re: about singles

While I agree that 11pts would make singles more accessible to more people, it's also not the point of sport to accommodate people who are not fit enough to play it. If someone cannot physically play 3 sets to 21 then they either need to play a lower grade, or they need to get fitter. The solution isn't to reduce the length/physical requirements. If it's not a competitive match then players could always choose to play to any custom rule.

JJ0720 likes this.
  14. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    well, there goes any chance of a major broadcast partner shelling out $$$$$ for broadcast rights because finals day takes 5 hours+. now prize money can remain at an unlivable wage for wannabe professionals due to bwf's incompetence monetizing the sport over the past 50 years.

carry on, bwf... carry on.

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    BWF members vote against implementation of new scoring system at 82nd AGM
    [​IMG]
    BWF membership has decided against the 5x11 scoring system

Kaushiik Paul
    ANALYST
    [​IMG]
    Modified 22 May 2021

Badminton World Federation (BWF) members have decided to continue with the existing scoring system at their 82nd annual general meeting (AGM) held on Saturday. Two-thirds of the members decided against a change from a best-of-three 21-point games to best-of-five games of 11 points each. A change in the scoring format would have come into effect at the Tokyo Olympics.

The proposal was made by Badminton Indonesia and Maldives Badminton Association on the basis of several factors, including making the sport more television-friendly in terms of duration.

Badminton Asia, Badminton Korea Association and Chinese Taipei Badminton Association also supported the proposal. The proposal will be discussed and decided on later by the BWF and even if it comes into effect, it won’t do so before January 2022.

According to the proposed system, a game will be won by a shuttler who reaches the 11-point mark instead of 21. If the score reaches 10-all (instead of 20-all), whoever gets the two-point lead first wins the game. Another suggestion was, if the score becomes 14-all, the side scoring the 15th point shall win the game.

However, this is not the first time the proposal has been put to vote. Back in 2018 at the BWF AGM in Bangkok, the proposal received 129 votes in favor, while 128 votes went against it. However, the proposal didn’t pass as it required a two-thirds majority of 168 votes.

BWF Council first proposed the change in 2014
    The proposal for this new scoring system was first put forth by the BWF council in 2014. Three years later, at a council session in Jamaica, the proposal to implement the 5x11 system was discussed in an elaborate manner along with the broadcasters’ feedback.

Meanwhile, the qualification events for the Tokyo Olympics are over with both the Malaysia Open and Singapore Open having been postponed due to COVID-19. The BWF will now allocate more than 50 spots based on the ranking list which will be published in June.

Published 22 May 2021
    [​IMG]

visor likes this.
  16. Verhoef

Verhoef Regular Member

Warehouse employee
    Strange that this article says that 2/3 of the voters were against it while in other articles (also published on this site) its the other way around (66,31% for and 33,69% against). Guess the writer must have it wrong?!

When you calculate the numbers you´re looking at 187 country for and 95 against (188-94 needed to pass the change). So eventually this comes down to 1 country who had a decisive vote. Would like to see a list of votes for and votes against!

#136 Verhoef, May 24, 2021
    Last edited: May 24, 2021
  17. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

The writer clearly messed that one up. It would have needed a 2/3 majority to pass which was missed by a single vote as you have pointed out. Not sure if the voting was done secretly or not.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

No wonder it didn't pass... not too many players would want this scoring format to start when they're at the Olympics.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

It was supposed to start after the Olympics. So in fact at the beginning of the next Olympic cycle.

20. visor

visor Regular Member

Ah, then that article is in error. Already this vote outcome of almost 2/3 is much better than the 50/50 in 2018. I'm thinking the next time they meet to vote on it again, it'll pass.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk