Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Lol you forgot Indonesia (Ginting, Jonathan), Singapore, Few Malaysian, Thai, Denmark players. Korea is one country with zero Li Ning presence.

2. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

Oh yeah, Ginting is the major coup...my bad, can’t say I noticed the others,
    maybe eyes are dazzled by all the flashes of Yonex rackets across my screen...lol

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I agree that in terms of quality Li-Ning badminton racquets are certainly among the top, at least as good as Yonex if not better. In fact, the entire CBA national team had been using Li-Ning equipment for the longest time, the problem is Yonex (incorporated in 1958) has been able to outmanouevre most of the other brands in marketing ploys and sponsorships. With China being such a huge market, it's understandable Yonex must be biding their time for just the right opportunity to dislodge Li-Ning from CBA, then hopefully spread their market share across the various provinces over time. Let's see how it plays out in future.

Woesi and Sumanth99 like this.
  4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Just finished watching the replay of the He Bingjiao - Wang Zhiyi semifinals, what a cracker of a match!

In G1, HBJ was in control to take a one game lead in masterful style; G2 is like an inversion as WZY reasserted herself to clinch an equalizer forcing the decider.

And G3 is a thriller, fighting badminton of the highest order of magnitude in quality for women's singles, a test of skills, willpower and endurance, literally pushing each other to the limit. Notably, at 13-14, the contestants traded blow for blow in a long, grueling tussle, certainly the longest and hardest fought rally of the match which ended with both bent double, looking exhausted; then later at 18-17, a shorter but equally exciting exchange of blows ensued, with HBJ appearing more drained of the two. Yet, to HBJ's a credit, she managed to pull off a victory.

Wang Zhiyi, despite defeat albeit narrowly in the decider, earns my salute for based on this encounter and her previous matchups with Chen Yufei, convinced me that she is the only one among the younger Chinese WS cohort whom, I venture to say, is in the same league as her top two seniors.

Lastly, one thing I'm heartened to notice about HBJ, apart from her improved physical condition, is that she has more or less corrected a glaring weakness of hers, which is her tendency to turn her back to play the backhand whenever her opponents clear the shuttle to her deep backhand corner, a vulnerability exploited by many against her as she could only tamely either drop the shuttle over to the opponent's frontcourt area or cleared back half-court and ended up being punished duly for it. Now in the two matches I've seen her played, she was able to anticipate and cover her deep backhand corner returns much better such that she can take the shots facing the shuttle with a forehand stroke. Good for her.

tbgoh288 likes this.
  5. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Both players have unwell condition, no elaborated news or info (as usual) to keep badminton fans guessing about how their condition actually.

6. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Chen Long is not even in the new Chinese Team photoshoot.

Retired?

7. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Someone said he has a personal contract with Li Ning, also Zhang Nan.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  8. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Zhang Nan was seen wearing yonex in another thread.

He has assumed the role of a coach for MD and XD.

9. djake

djake Regular Member

Dr
    Seems like Shi Yu Qi and Sun Fei Xiang are playing in a tournament in KL. According to tournament software, Shi is playing doubles with Dong Weijie.

Woesi and Sumanth99 like this.
  10. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
  11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Apparently, according to what I've gathered here https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2021-04-09/doc-ikmxzfmk5803832.shtml, both Chen Long and Shi Yuqi had in recent closed-door training sessions in Lingsui showed signs of fatigue (overtraining?) and sustained some mild injuries. So I supposed that's why they decided to play safe and skipped the just-concluded CBA internal competition, esp when the all-important Tokyo Olympics is just round the corner.

By the way, the CHN national team is looking forward to participating in full force the remaining two back-to-back tournaments in Southeast Asia , namely, the MAS Open and the SIN Open from 25th May to 6th June, preceding the Olympics.

12. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Will they play in National Badminton games about start, looking forward to see CL, SYQ.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks for asking, in the article I overlooked the part (as I was more concerned about the remaining tournaments preceding the OG) where Zhang Jun mentioned their participation in the upcoming National Games at Zhengzhou, Henan province, but prior to that , all the national players have to , upon completing their systematic training in Lingsui, undergo a physical fitness test to be held April 9th to 13th.

I suppose the China National Games is such an important integrated sports event held quadrennially, no player will want to miss out representing their province, municipality, as well as branches of the military. The 14th edition this year is rescheduled for September 15th to 27th 2021 and will be held in front of spectators. Note that the new dates of the 14th CNG are after the postponed Tokyo Olympic Games to new dates 28th July to 8th August which affected the original CNG dates.

#3273 Justin L, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    Sumanth99 likes this.
  14. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    No no, I meant after fitness test there seem to be a badminton event which will serve as qualifying event for National games.

15. djake

djake Regular Member

Dr
    There’s a small Chinese presence in the upcoming Indian open. Shi Yuqi is amongst the anticipated participants.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

My understanding is that the pre-qualification event refers to the fitness test, not any preliminary competition as national players automatically qualify, no need for any pre-selection exercise unlike some provincial or lower level players who may have to fight for a place in the provincial/municipal/military team. CMIIW.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

@Sumanth99, my apologies, looks like my assumptions this time are wrong, according to this article I just come across - https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2021-04-10/doc-ikmyaawa8892648.shtml - it's reported Lin Dan is not participating in the pre-National Games qualification event slated for April 25th to May 2nd as well as the fitness test before it starting on April 17th, hence he won't be appearing in the CNG proper in September. The implication is that Lin Dan is retired for good.

So, as for Chen Long and Shi Yuqi's participation in the CNG pre-qualification event, I suppose we will see them in competition.

Seems to me such an arrangement is to give all the national players more opportunities for serious match practice in view of the dearth of tournaments during the global pandemic period. That's good.

#3277 Justin L, Apr 11, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Sumanth99 likes this.
  18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Care to share with us the source of your info as I can't find the players list on the BWF or tournamentsoftware.com websites?

The Yonex IND Open (new dates)11-16 May is a Super 500 tournament, a mid-level event, we should expect a fairly strong turnout as there are very few tournaments left in the lead-up to the Tokyo Olympics.

Ah, just found it here https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2021-04-10/doc-ikmxzfmk6028635.shtml for the CHN squad, namely,MS Shi Yuqi, Lu Guangzu, Li Shifeng; MD Han Chengkai/Zhou Haodong, Liu Cheng/Huang Kaixiang; WD Zheng Yu/Li Wenmei, Liu Xuanxuan/Xia Yuting.

#3278 Justin L, Apr 11, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Looking at the small contingent and the players list that Team CHN is sending to the IND Open, it's clear why apart from their two top guns, namely , MS2 SYQ and MS3 LGZ, the rest comprises their 2nd tier players/pairs and that only in three categories, namely, MS, MD and WD whilst absent any representation in WS and XD; the reasons are obvious.

First, it's to do with the health and safety considerations of the participants in view of the dire Covid-19 situation in India by limiting the risk of exposure and infection to just such a small number of players. Second, CBA picked only players and disciplines where their would-be Olympians still need to improve their rankings and consolidate their quota fulfilments for certain disciplines.

Also, I believe the entire CHN team and entourage will be or are vaccinated against the novel coronavirus well in advance before setting off for India. Just my thoughts.

Cheung likes this.
  20. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Just ignore it:D
    upload_2021-4-13_9-37-41.png