Should All England remain BWF Super 1000?

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by Indo-d-best-of-best, Mar 23, 2021.

?

Should Yonex All England remain a Super 1000 series tournamet or get downgraded?

Poll closed Sep 23, 2021.
  1. Yes, England should remain a Super 1000 series tournament.

47 vote(s)
    88.7%
  2. No, downgrade next year, give the opportunity to more deserving country.

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. RichF

RichF Regular Member

If PCR is the gold standard/mandatory then I think the fastest turnaround is 'hours' at best?

2. aZn_Popcorn

aZn_Popcorn Regular Member

The NHL Bubble sure as hell did an amazing job. 0 positive tests held over 2 months in 2 cities (Toronto & Edmonton).

Just to add some stats:
    A total of 1,452 players and league officials were in the bubbles in Toronto and Edmonton, according to figures released by the league. During the two months (and 130 total games) in the secured zone, a total of 33,394 Covid-19 tests were administered; an average of 23 per person.

There were zero positives tests. Any doubts of whether or not the bubble works can be put to sleep.

sokol250 and Cheung like this.
  3. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Here's a stupid idea:

Hold all the tournaments in the same place, maybe a past Olympic Village, they can all have their normal sponsors/naming/grading/whatever but the teams only have to travel once then bubble for, say, 6 months until they've all been played?

I can see it now:

Live from Rio de Janeiro it's the 2021 BLIBLI Indonesia Open....love all, play!

#43 RichF, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    decoy likes this.
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Maybe three? Depends on the logistics. Like if the lab personnel only start at 9am and testing samples starts at 10am, that’s not going to be useful.

5. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Have you actually seen the following part of Hoyer-Larsens supposed apology?

"I convey this apology to President Joko Widodo, the Minister of Youth and Sports, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, the Indonesian Ambassador to the UK, officials, the General Chair of PBSI and ranks, the Indonesian people and especially the entire community and fur enthusiasts."

I apologize to the president and......

these guys:
    [​IMG]

:D:D:D

The self-clowning of Indonesia surely is a thing to behold.

6. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Yeah, I saw that - I put it down to a translation error.

I think their journalists (and politicians for that matter) should show more respect to the citizens - they treat them like they're so gullible that they'll believe anything.

7. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    it's not stupid. that is the only way to do it right. just ask the nba & nhl.

bwf is incapable of learning from observing other professional sports. they have proven this consistently over the past 50 years. in that same time span governing bodies from other international sports have grown their respective sports into multi-billion dollar enterprises.

why is our sport continuing to languish in the financial basement?

8. RichF

RichF Regular Member

It's a good question, I guess cultures are already saturated with their favourite sports so it's hard for others to break through.

Compared to tennis, badminton doesn't seem to 'click' for as many people even though more people play it etc. Squash fans possibly wonder about this too and maybe table tennis fans? Tennis, IMO, has a more elitist background so maybe that appeals e.g. people enjoy the reflected glory of the glamour and (dare I say) snobbishness.

Football obviously is ubiquitous in every country, it's very accessible (just need something to kick and jumpers for goalposts) and it's VERY tribal so even if you don't play you can feel part of something.

I think NBA/NHL/NBL also fall into the accessible/tribal category.

Once you realise that people are emotionally invested then it's easy to promote something to them - just keep feeding them more of what they're addicted to, make it seem more exclusive or more tribal etc. Sell them a lifestyle.

You can do this with badminton...but probably only in the Far East/India.

Remember the National Badminton League in the UK? (the matches are still on YouTube btw)

I think this probably sums up how badminton is used in British culture:

#48 RichF, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  9. sen

sen Regular Member

Any tournament may have something that may not be good but the decision to have a tournament is mostly because of the sponsors.

Why there were more higher ranked tournaments in China or Indonesia is because they are easier to get sponsors(pre-2020)

So who are we to discuss downgrading or upgrading tournament.

Higher ranked and higher prize money would attract more players(in a free sports but badminton is not as the players are allowed to go to the tournament with approval of a centralised body)

10. sen

sen Regular Member

In Indonesia, Djarum usually gave special monetary award for their players who won All England or WC and of course Olympic, but not Indonesian open or other tournaments. The junior usually will get if they won WJC.

So to downgrade or upgrade, really need to go to those who have money and ask why they still think this or that has more prestige

11. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Has the OP found their medication yet and regained enough sanity to close this ridiculous poll/thread?

aZn_Popcorn and samkool like this.
  12. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

If the ban happened only to players from Brazil/Israel/Egypt in AE21, I think the discussion would have ended last week. No?

samkool likes this.
  13. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

obviously it will have ended just like the HK player in Thailand. Had it happened to Thailand/India which have positives last week, they also wont be able to do anything since its positive tests. Too bad, it happened to the Giants of badminton where half of the squad is AE champion.

INA actually only brought 12 players to AE, imagine if they bring 20+ over players. Cant even imagine the financial losses.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You can do this with NBA and NHL because of a) money, b) crucially limited to two countries base in North America.

Tennis have had more problems. It’s better to compare and learn from the tennis tour.

aZn_Popcorn likes this.
  15. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    tennis wasn't consistent with the application of their rules.

16. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Worth noting that Scotland players couldn't enter All England this year because on their flight back from the Swiss open they were exposed to a covid passenger. This happened 9 days before the All England so they missed it by a day. Exact same case as what happened with Indonesia.

But this was probably just a set up because of Brexit

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

skhai91, aZn_Popcorn and Cheung like this.
  17. RichF

RichF Regular Member

But, but, but....discrimination?

So that's 3 countries who missed out for the same reason?

(have you got a source btw?)

#57 RichF, Mar 25, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  18. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Unfortunately I can't find any news articles about it. Probably because it wasn't picked up in any media.

I only knew because of Vittinghus bringing it up on his podcast when he talked about other countries dealing with the same issue.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

19. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Why do you think so ?. Only these region!. In what context, you took far East/ India?.

20. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Badminton is a much more popular sport in Asia.

In Europe, with the exception of Denmark, most people couldn't even name a badminton player in their country! (maybe Marin in Spain is the other exception)

skhai91 likes this.