Should All England remain BWF Super 1000?

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by Indo-d-best-of-best, Mar 23, 2021.

?

Should Yonex All England remain a Super 1000 series tournamet or get downgraded?

Poll closed Sep 23, 2021.
  1. Yes, England should remain a Super 1000 series tournament.

47 vote(s)
    88.7%
  2. No, downgrade next year, give the opportunity to more deserving country.

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. RichF

RichF Regular Member

That page is a joke!

In case this needs explaining, he's not apologising for what happened, only that it upset people - typical journalists twisting stuff!

The link entitled "BWF President Poul-Erik Hoyer said in a written statement on Monday (23 Mar)." goes straight to the BWF homepage, and not to any "written statement".

Tries to make it sound like Indonesia stormed out in protest.

There is no official report that says how many "positive" and how many "inconclusive".

Lie. There are exemptions for some events (elite sport) from the mandatory quarantine but close contact rules, obviously, still apply.

I'd suggest you find a better source of information rather than biased, poorly-researched, sensationalist journalism!

Edit: No wonder there's such a huge reaction when things are being stirred-up by irresponsible journalists. Not to mention the way some of the officials are carrying on with their macho posturing.

Hardly a dignified response.

#21 RichF, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    s_mair, skhai91, kaffars and 7 others like this.
  2. Bardie

Bardie Regular Member

Even without Covid there is NO tournament in the whole world that is 100% perfectly organized. There is always some point where the organizer (or BWF) could have done something better. Believe me, I have attended tournaments in 16 different countries as an official. The problem in this Covid time is that the nerves of the players and officials are sometimes on edge. Every nation in the world has its own mentality for dealing with appropriate sanctions. Here I present three examples from this year.
    Example 1:
    One player from a country tested positive for Corona before flying to Thailand in January. According to the regulations for these three tournaments, the rest of the team could have gone to Thailand if they tested negative and had also tested negative before the start of the tournaments in Thailand. Out of respect and for the safety of the health of all players in these three tournaments, this association has voluntarily withdrawn all of its players from the tournaments.
    Example 2:
    The doubles players from France, Germany and the Netherlands joint a training camp before the tournament in Orleans. All tested negative before arrival. They train and further tests reveal that one player has tested positive. Due to the Covid rules in France, everyone is considered close contact and will be excluded from the tournament in Orleans. I think there were eleven seeded pairings alone. That is bad for the quality of the tournament and bad for the players who wanted to use this tournament to qualify for the Olympics. In the social media, however, you won't read from any player from France, Germany or the Netherlands how bad the organizer or BWF is. EVERYONE writes something like "This is bad or even **** for us, but those are the rules. So we fight for the Olympics in the next tournaments."
    Example 3:
    In a major tournament in a former EU country ;-) , players from two countries are excluded because they had close contact with a person who tested positive on their flight. It is in the "Covid laws" of this country and in the rules of the tournament that the close contacts are then excluded from the tournament. The player from one country fuel a conspiracy theory that Badminton England is a bad association and that BWF has something against Indonesia. Badminton "fans" from Indonesia have been spamming social media and even death threats have been made against BWF people. Excluded players declare: "We didn't know the rules and restrictions!" Well, it is up to the federation to explain these rules to the players before the trip.
    I already wrote it in another thread. This is exactly what the association has done before the Thomas / Uber Cup in September. The knew the rules before! "Unfortunately, due to the strict Corona rules and restrictions, we have to withdraw from the Thomas / Uber Cup in Denmark. BWF cannot guarantee the safety and health of our players."
    So why has the association now reported players to the All England? They knew the rules and there is no security in these times at any place in the world! I think this association was just unlucky, but to blame it on other official sites like Badminton England or BWF is a cheek.

skhai91 and decoy like this.
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Actually, I couldn’t understand how they got an exemption from quarantine. I think there are some unclear facts as well. I do agree it’s very odd to have 7 false positives and I wonder what test they were using and the laboratory procedure.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Training together was definitely illogical.

Bardie likes this.
  5. RichF

RichF Regular Member

The answer is probably in here:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...t-return-to-cross-border-competition-guidance

Not 7 "positives", 7 "positives"/"inconclusives"!

You could trust their word that they were legit...or you could buy into the conspiracy. I don't think they have an obligation to explain exactly which tests were used/when to the public, maybe to the teams...but they already know.

I'd guess that 7 self-tests were "inconclusive" and therefore they were retested 'professionally' at the private lab where they came back negative. (but it is just a guess, I'm not claiming it's a fact...unlike many!)

#25 RichF, Mar 24, 2021
    LenaicM and Cheung like this.
  6. Bardie

Bardie Regular Member

The YONEX All England Open Badminton Championships 2021 has been awarded ‘specified event’ status by the UK Government.This means that (subject to meeting strict criteria, including testing –see below), international visitors are exempt from self-isolation requirements upon entry to the country.
    Even at Swiss Open there were five false positive tests. That's "normal" if you do hundreds of tests in a row.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I am actually quite well versed in medical statistics having a Masters degree in Public Health. :)

Difficult to say. We are not given that information. Since the tournament had already started, it sounds like they didn’t use the PCR test (for these 7 positives/inconclusive?) which is more definitive.

https://bwfworldtour.bwfbadminton.c...9-after-second-pcr-test/?pyear=2021&pmonth=03

The players got a second PCR test and presumably the first one was on arrival which they must have had the results before 1st day of tournament.

sokol250 likes this.
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

9. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Yeah, we can't say which type of test was used...but we were told "inconclusive" so can we stop saying "positive"? It only adds to the conspiracy theories and isn't verifiable.

https://www.badmintonengland.co.uk/...ll-england-open-2021-due-to-covid-19-retests/

LenaicM likes this.
  10. Bardie

Bardie Regular Member

Sounds good.
    According to the "Invitation prospect" the arrival test was allready a pcr-test.
    "The Championships will follow the the BWF ‘Safety Protocols & Operating Procedures (2021 Update)‘ which state that a COVID-19 RT-PCR Test is mandatory for all Super 1000 Tournaments for players, team officials, and selected tournament staff and volunteers. Multiple testscould be required.Testing will take place upon arrival in Birmingham, and visitors must remain isolated in their hotel room until the test result is provided –this could be up to 24 hours."

11. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Yep, but there's probably a whole slew of guidance/criteria elsewhere (possibly delegated to the Ministry of Health as that's where the expertise lies) but I don't have the time/inclination to look for it!

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Thanks for that but it doesn’t contain enough details as it doesn’t say who were “positive” and who were “inconclusive”. I am not a conspiracy theory advocate myself but the conspiracy theory advocates don’t give up.

13. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Besides, I'm wrong anyway!

There was a mixture of inconclusive/positive...that all turned out to be negative in the end.

Edit: the only positive I know was Thomas Stavngaard, the Danish coach.

#33 RichF, Mar 24, 2021
    decoy likes this.
  14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Thanks! I looked it up

https://extranet.bwfbadminton.com/d...- Operating Procedures - All England 2021.pdf

It’s a good document.

Section 2.3 - Midweek test on Thursday. The times of the results from taking the sample to the laboratory getting the results out is very slow.

Section 2.5

15. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Did they not release the list of who was initially positive? I know Vittinghus listed them off on his podcast during the All England.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

16. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Yep, after all, the earth is flat

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Same thing though. Because they need to be isolated if positive or inconclusive, anybody who gets isolated can get labelled as “positive”.

18. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Yeah, this is possibly the source of the rumour that all of them were positive.

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

The laboratory doing the testing can’t get results out fast enough in time for the next match so basically, any person with an inconclusive test and playing in the tournament is f**ked for their next round. Really, for a sport like this where there are matches every day (unlike football or rugby), the turnaround on test results need to be much faster. Something to takeaway and learn from.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I totally agree with this