Yonex ALL ENGLAND 2021 : R/32-Final (Birmingham, 17-21 March)

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Mar 17, 2021.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I mean you can argue all you want but the guys would still have to haul all that extra mass around AND lower it further to get a comparable center of mass to shorter players, so there certainly is a point where the height becomes a disadvantage. If it's indeed around the 1, 85-1,90m mark for singles remains to be seen, but I don't buy into the hypothesis that NBA players would be better at the sport (provided they stopped the doping ofc, otherwise they'd destroy the clean(ish) competition). NBA favors tall guys for obvious reasons, no reason they should be better at badminton. Reach isn't everything, especially not in singles.
    Also define talent...Id say a WC and WJC champion as well as OG Bronze medalist has some talent, but what do I know :D

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I really can't imagine he was that heavy. I weigh around 80 and he was a lot skinnier. I'd guess he was around 76-78 at the most

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Long distance runners, basically all of them ;) but for an explosive sport, you're not wrong. Long legs aren't necessarily a disadvantage as they give you longer steps, assuming you have the mobility needed. Not sure how often the taller guys squat, but they should probably do it almost daily, given how it correlates to mobility and explosiveness (in a body position relevant to badminton)

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

It's because CL is freakishly strong in his legs and has a borderline anorexic upper body. Some of the German guys went to the weight room with him at a tournament and reported that his squats are insane. Also very good mobility, some of which VA could never imitate because their bone structures aren't the same. Yeah, maybe Viktor could try and lose upper body muscle, but he already does have quite muscular legs, not sure how much more he can pack on there without going all power lifter/body builder :D

Woesi likes this.
  5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I really want measurements now. Maybe I'm going blind, but you guys should really try and see these guys next to normal people, or even better yourself. With 194 at 88kg and how he looks on tape, Im fairly sure there's not more than 5 guys in the forum who have even comparable leg muscle, let alone more. There was a strong man on here before who might, though :D
    Maybe the low insertions of CL, LZJ and the likes are throwing off the perception, idk.

6. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    since when is that a sport? kidding.

7. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Sorry it's out of topic but this IG post is too scary and really dangerous:eek:

BWFIG.jpg

Nine Tailed Fox and decoy like this.
  8. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

That information, i believe, its beyond my means. Anyway the height, weight and bmi calculation and analysis is of course just a very simplified workings. These type of analysis generally do not consider inherent factors and
    Japan 4-1 rest of the world

9. ibelieveindevil

Muscle weights more than fats

10. deepinthemusic

deepinthemusic Regular Member

Lol still butthurt, let it go already

11. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

apologizing about the accident i guess

12. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Holy smokes. Indonesia Open will be very tricky to organize this year

Cheung and Gacon1234star like this.
  13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

VA strikes me as a person that grew too fast and never adjusted.

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah no kidding...thats partly what I mean, he wasn't very muscular. Not a criticism, but those 80kg seem a bit high to me. If accurate, he must have had some of the densest bones ever :D

15. ibelieveindevil

Dense muscle. Possible for people who drinks less water

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

That's not how that works, while muscles can hold water it's not a huge amount, especially if you dont take creatine (which I didn't/don't), so unless I have some really weird genetics to make my muscles less dense than humanly normal I will doubt that a guy my height with probably 5-10cm less upper body circumference and comparable muscle mass weighed the same as me ;) dont think any additional muscle he had made up the different in fat and bone mass

#756 j4ckie, Mar 23, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  17. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Viktor Axelsen does not have "skinny legs" anyone who says so is blind.

As a matter of fact, he has even added mass on his legs lately. Even Gillian and Morten was noticing it.

Woesi and Father Parrot like this.
  18. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Minus the surprise win of LZJ, I think with or without INA this year would have made little difference! Bravo JPN!

Woesi and decoy like this.
  19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Idk man, kinda think they would've had a chance in MD and maybe XD as well :D not too sure about the other disciplines, they're kinda of a surprise bag in MS especially. Could've been 2nd round exits all around or Top4 finish/es, who knows.

20. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

This was not at all meant to say Axelsen isn't talented. I just think he had to work incredibly hard to get where he is in terms of agility and athleticism and still looks fairly clunky when it comes to movement, especially compared to Asian players. That's why I mentioned NBA guys, because there are many who are as tall/taller than Axelsen, faster and still move infinitely smoother. And those kind of athletes we've never seen in badminton.
    NBA players also have to "haul mass around", have to move on a dime, change direction quickly and handle their weight from jumping. I mean, Kyrie Irving is taller than Chen Long. Have you seen him move?

Really? What do you think would happen if you lifted/cleared to Giannis Antetokounmpo? You'd lose the point, instantly. Unless you played precisely to the side lines and front corners, he'd barely have to move for your shots either. Seems like pretty big advantages compared to the negatives.
    And don't tell me if you could build a badminton player and you have to choose "body", you'd take model "Axelsen" or "Ginting" over model "Jordan" or "Bryant".:D