Keeping Loose

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by decoy, Mar 20, 2021.

1. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Something I've always struggled with has been keeping my body loose and relaxed while simultaneously moving quickly. I can play a relaxed style, but I find when I do that I am moving very slowing.

For example, I end up playing many more high backhands than I should when I could be playing around the head (just as an example).

I would describe myself as a fairly advanced player but a huge difference that I notice when I see the very top national players play is how much more relaxed they play throughout the game.

Is the answer as simple as just learning to play more quickly while relaxed? Or is it more that I need to get used to letting myself tighten up a bit to speed up for a second, then relax again right after?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated. And if it helps, I'm mostly interested in Men's Singles.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Is this happen all time or just when you play with a new person or in an important match?
    From my experience its when im on my 1st real tournament. Something that i didnt even register myself. My coworker put my name to become company representative for yearly group company tournament. Im just a hobby casual player & never had a tournament before. Tho i play with many different player & even go agains a coach that i never been able to beat yet i can still play good & keep my head cool. On this tournamet, there are to many thing on my mind & feel like there is an elephant sitting on both my shoulder. On early stage where the opponent actually are easy, i cant even finish it easily. Im tensing up, cant think anything but just saying to myself, dont do thing wrong, you cant lose, are you sure you want to do that shot, what if my smash struck the net, etc.... I play like crap, tho i still win. If this is your case, i guest time & experience will makes you better. There is always 1st time for everything right:D.

3. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Maybe. I do get nervous when I play, but I think it might be more nuanced than that.

I should say, I'm quite familiar with competing. I've been consistently getting quarter final minimum finishes in provincial events for several years now. Not amazing results, but it's not a lack of familiarity.

4. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Do you have a video of ourself playing ? There probably are dozens of reasons why are you are not relaxed

5. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Unfortunately the only videos of myself on YouTube are about 5 years old and not really relevant anymore I don't feel. And I have an injury preventing me from playing singles at the moment... I know I'm not making it easy to help, but I was hoping someone might have some general tips on switching between playing calm controlled shots and suddenly increasing pace.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Doubles or singles?

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Also, what’s your training schedule?

8. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Singles. I'm actually just going to rewrite my question because after reading it I understand the confusion.

It's more of a mental thing than a technical thing. Basically I can play loosely and I have fine control and power on all my shots. But as soon as I start to move quickly and play more aggressive shots, my body tightens up and I can really only continue to play more powerful shots and not switch back to touch shots like like net shots or mid court blocks.

My issue is specifically being able to switch between these two types of shots.

9. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Look back & remember what is in your mind when playing? Do you enjoy the games or think so many thing which makes you very nervous.

Coz, (still on the same my 1st tournament). Btw its group format, 3 double team, 2 team win mean the company they represent win & move to the next round. On the final, we meet a strong team (obvious:D). One of them are ex national player. Basically whoever meet the champ are losing. So we kinda thinking what combination should we use. At that time coz im the new guy & play with any of my team just for short. I said, let me take the champ, strengthen the 2 team. Without any burden of losing the games, funny i can play more relax & perform way better than the early match. I still lost tho but can still keep up & give some pain to the champ ass.

If its your mind that messing you, change your mindset. Dont think thing that far away like winning or losing but think about getting the next point. Regardless win or lose just do your best & aim for the next point & then next again, till it end.

10. decoy

decoy Regular Member

During covid almost non existent. But until last year I was on court 4-5 days a week with physical training on off days.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

At this level, you train what you want to learn.

How are you sure it’s not a technique issue?

After the powerful shots in a rally, when going back to a slower paced shuttle, there may be various reasons for not being able to adjust: You might be relaxing too much, grip hasn’t changed properly, might be standing up higher with a higher centre of gravity, preparing the racquet differently, footwork hasn’t adjusted properly in a certain game situation, lack of bounce when changing from fast pace to slow pace etc.

I have had a similar problem with hitting hard on the forehand, and then messing up the backhand drive/block to the net in midcourt. It doesn’t happen all the time but enough for me to realise there’s some sort of weakness there. After working with the coach and some discussion, what happens is I sometimes drop the racquet head right to my knees. It took a little while to diagnose as I don’t do this if it’s the first few shots of a rally.

If you are absolutely sure it’s not a technique issue (or maybe even a tactical issue of speeding up at an inappropriate part of the rally), then you need to work with your trainer and training partners on multi feed or single shuttle specifically to replicate the hard fast to slow situation. You play hard shots, and then try to slow down.

decoy likes this.
  12. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Thanks Cheung this is a very detailed answer. I guess the truth is I'm not positive that it isn't a technical issue. I hadn't considered some of the possibilities you mentioned.

Unfortunately due to some circumstances I don't have a coach I work with directly anymore which is why I turned to asking online. So I'll try and get some video footage once I've shaken off my injury and get onto court consistently again.

I'll certainly think about what you said! Thanks again!

Cheung likes this.