Daejeon Badminton Club

Discussion in 'Japan / Korea' started by hikaruseven, Oct 25, 2017.

1. blabl

blabl Regular Member

@hikaruseven

Actually there are many nice places to play badminton in Korea. From time to time I will introduce to you some nice places in Korea that you can play badminton. Hope you really enjoy your stay in Korea. Korea is indeed a nice country. :)

2. blabl

blabl Regular Member

@hikaruseven

Now I am going to introduce to you the famous Yonex Badminton Club in Korea. There are also some video clips on how the coaches in the Yonex Badminton Club train their players. Enjoy. Here is the link to the video clip.

3. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

Just for clarification, that video was from a demo/lesson day that Yonex organized. It is not the regular content of the club. That being said, it looked like a great way to get coaching advice on technical improvements. The problem is most people play, and don't train so any benefits will be short lived, if at all, unless they acquire the skills through repetition in training.

blabl likes this.
  4. Vu.p26

Vu.p26 New Member

Hello!
    I just recently moved to Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, SK. I’m living nearby Dongwaul Waterside Park, so where is the nearest club (indoor)? Please advise :) thanks!!!

5. event

event Regular Member

Sorry. Not familiar with that Park. Any other landmark you can offer? Yuseong is a big gu.

blabl likes this.
  6. Vu.p26

Vu.p26 New Member

I am near Pai Chai University Daedeok campus.

7. event

event Regular Member

This is a map to the Gujeuk Gymnasium mentioned in this list. It's less than a kilometre away from that campus. The Daedeok Cultural Gymnasium mentioned on the same list is about 3.5km away, on the other side of the river from you.

blabl likes this.
  8. Vu.p26

Vu.p26 New Member

Hello event,

Do you know what time any of those two places play?

9. event

event Regular Member

#15 on the Yuseong-gu list is a club that plays in that Gujeuk gym and the info there says 2-10PM Tues-Fri and 2-6PM on weekends. I'm not sure about the other one.

blabl likes this.
  10. Vu.p26

Vu.p26 New Member

Ill check it out this weekend then :D thanks so much!!! If you are able to find out more clubs and infos, please lemme know.

11. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Thanks for your reply. I was just about to reply. Guess you are faster than me. Hi hi.:):D

12. event

event Regular Member

So any luck? Did you manage to find people to play with at any of those facilities?

blabl likes this.
  13. rpbar4

rpbar4 Regular Member

Long time no talk, Daejeon people! And I hope everyone is well.

Does anyone here know about a club in Daejeon for competitive players?

14. event

event Regular Member

I guess it depends on how competitive you mean. All clubs in Korea participate in city or regional and sometimes national competitions but none will ever get you near the elite level of competition, which is reserved for career players. In Daejeon, that is limited to the women's team at the Korean Ginseng Company, which has a couple of national team players and is coached by a former All England finalist, and of course there are elite school teams, one of which produced the current world #5.

Recreational clubs and/or public gymnasiums are typically linked to full-time professional coaches, who are usually veterans of elite school and/or pro teams. Sometimes former elite players join recreational clubs as members but I think one is disqualified from competing as an A-level recreational player if one played on an elite team in either high school or middle school. I forget. Anyway, Daejeon has some really good recreational players playing in its clubs and you just need to find one that is to your liking. Ordinarily, I would point you to the club listing on Badmintontimes but so many of the clubs listed there play in schools and during the pandemic, those gyms are likely to be off-limits. That means that you should still be able to play in the public gyms, most of which are listed in the link included in Post #3 of this thread. I included links to the map locations of 4 of those gyms in post #8. If none of those are close to you, give us an area and we can probably find something more suitable.

I don't live in Daejeon any more and I don't know if either hikaruseven or Vu.p26 are still there either but that doesn't mean you can't get some help here ;)

rpbar4 likes this.
  15. rpbar4

rpbar4 Regular Member

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.

I actually played at the Eoeun-dong club in 2015-2016 and joined some interesting competitions. I'm an A-B level player in Europe and played also in A-B level competitions in Korea. I stopped playing for a few years, and all my badminton friends left the country, so I'm looking for a fresh start in Daejeon, and the pandemic does not make it easy indeed. I've tried a few clubs listed on BadmintonTimes in the Dong-gu area but it's mostly social (or very social!) in terms of level. Now that I can drive, I'm more mobile in Daejeon if some of you have a few suggestions to share! :)

I hope that other players listed on this thread will see this message, as I am hoping to join a club again and take part in competitions.