HSBC-BWF WORLD Tour Finals 2020 : Group Stage-Final (27-31 January 2021)

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jan 25, 2021.

1. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
  2. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    have you noticed there's no such rule in any professional sport?
    that is the upside of having american badminton players earn very little money. they can't afford to take on and/or participate in other distractions and, relatively speaking, nobody knows who they are anyhow.
    those are quite different issues. the all england lawn tennis and croquet club is a private entity.
    hence the reason why a rule does not exist. there is a no taunting rule -screaming while facing your opponent- and that's pretty much as far as it will ever get.

how about this: you are only allowed to voice a scream/shriek/war cry if hendra setiawan would have done so in the moment of your exact situation. :D

LenaicM likes this.
  3. pp35

pp35 Regular Member

Steen has a youtube channel?? Great, now I can listen to his comments at 1.75x speed :D

samkool likes this.
  4. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    speaking of which i loved the sxfi audio thing. it sounded great w/ headphones and also through my basic left/right stereo home audio system (i don't have surround sound, 5.1, 7.1., dolby atmos, thx, or anything like that). it focused the on court action sounds in front of me and commentary voices behind me.

visor likes this.
  5. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

It does bother some players tho, but ofcourse they wouldn't complain to the umpire because it is not against the rules. look at he bingjao at 2018 WC, she CLEARLY bothered by marin's attitude and screams.

6. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    is ironic or hypocritical the right word here for the players it bothers. they only have the right to be bothered if they don't shriek themselves. how many of those players exist. i'm curious.
    hope she's grown a thicker skin since then. oh wait, doesn't she scream, too? if you're focused or playing so good you're in the zone you don't even notice what your opponent is doing. from my observation he bing jiao isn't what i would consider a highly focused player.

7. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

not as much though...

8. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

that hysterical screaming is fine, she can do it as long she does not do it towards the opponent, which she does quite often as well and that is not allowed - player intimidation, then constant delay and disrespectful shuttle throwing around, so there were so a lot of faults in that match, that it would have been enough for at least 3 red cards, but I am sure that after one yellow card she would have changed her behaviour, but umpire allowed to torment the match and that was the worst about this match. The same with Axelsen he was constantly showing fist to his opponents during these three weeks and he hasn't got a single remark about it. Somehow it seems that when there is the hawk eye umpires treat themselves just as score counters and result announcers

9. Bardie

Bardie Regular Member

Maybe , I don't know if a player can change the behaviour after a yellow card immediately ... ;-)

j4ckie and MezzL like this.
  10. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

We need more umpire like him.

Father Parrot, j4ckie and whatAHassle like this.
  11. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

usually it really helps, and in this match it would since Marin really wanted to finish and win, and this example was in some low level tournament (German Open!), so obviously diva thought that she can disregard and **** all officials as well :D

j4ckie likes this.
  12. Badmintonmag

Badmintonmag Regular Member

My two cents about the finals:

Mens Doubles:
    The Chinese Taipei pair is nice to watch. Good spirit and personalities. Very impressive three weeks. So I`m fine with them winning. The Indonesian pair did ok and they are always dangerous with their skills and tactical understanding. But I am finally a bit worried about Setiawan. He is the badminton GOAT of mens doubles imho but he seemed very sluggish and slow. Often the pace was too high for him and that resulted in misshits. His serve was horrible and he wasn`t as lethal at the front court as usual. I hope this was just Corona rust or the fact that due to Ahsans injury he had to play the back court much more. But if he doesn`t step up, they won`t win anything of significance anymore. So lets see if he ups his game once again or age is finally catching up. Ahsan however impressed me a lot in Thailand. I consider Setiawan the much more stable and better player throughout their careers. But Ahsan is truly a special player as well. Not GOAT material, but an alltime great for sure. He is usually more error-prone, but his smash game from back court is so unique and versatile. You never know whats coming. Plus very capable at the net as well. So all in all I just love watching them, a fantastic team!

Womens Singles:
    Oh my...I agree: Marins behaviour was too much. Screaming as loud as you can on every single point? Delaying the game, not giving the shuttle back properly and a sour loser? Sorry, she is playing fantastic badminton, but I have no respect for her. Worldclass athletes should also be role models and this is just not the values that sports should transport. On the other hand I loved that TTY showed how annoyed she was about that and fought so hard to win. Such a sweet girl and a huge win for her confidence.

Mens Singles:
    I can understand Antonsen. Do this energy saving myself quite often successfully, when I am far behind in a game. But Morton called it at like 2-4 in game 2. Seems a little early to do that. Why not try to look a little longer, how the game develops? However...game 2 was not good to watch, but it turned out to be the right tactic in the end.

Mixed Doubles:
    I don`t know what it is with me and Korean badminton. They are all really strong players, but I just don`t like their style too much. They all play the same...speed and athleticism, but no variation. Always the same patterns with focus on a strong defense. So I cheered for the Thai pair, which is really fun to watch. The Thai girl is certainly the strongest female in Mixed currently among the the two Chinese Huangs. When I see this, I feel sorry for Watanabe and Jordan. They are so strong, but their partners defense is sooo weak compared to the top 3 female defenses. So they always have to watch out not to expose their girls to smashing, which can be really hard. Nonetheless looking forward to the Chinese/Japanese squads and a fit Praveen Jordan coming back!

13. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

CLEARLY with caps lock [​IMG] . Chrome translate say she complain abt audience noise http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2018-08-05/doc-ihhhczfa8429527.shtml

screaming when rally still alive could distract opponent. 31:46

#373 vozer here, Feb 1, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

That might be a small reason but the main one is probably that we're so used to the decimal system that n*10+1 is more meaningful to us than just a random number in-between. As I said, shortening the games is not something I'd propose as I myself didn't enjoy that switch. If there's a mid-game interval in those short games, it would open the door for more short advertising, but average match length would probably not go down much at all

15. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

Ahsan been the better and more stable player since their reunion imo

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Screaming can be officiated with a max volume, would be relatively simple to set up as well. Mic on the umpire's chair (reproducable and comparable setup), a small and simple software solution, done. They are usually officiating the part about not screaming in your opponent's face quite well imop. Tonality is a big part of how annoying a scream/shout is, but can't be officiated since it could be unfair to specific players, even if there were an objective standard.
    Imop they should introduce a shot clock similar to Tennis which is only halted if both players agree to towel down or sth (usually in the interest of everyone as rally quality suffers when both players are gassed) or if there's a necessary interruption (court mopping). Shuttle change should not count as an interruption.
    25 seconds should be a good starting point, that would take the edge off the most annoying delays with players walking around the court, asking for their coaches opinion, walking back to the shuttle, inspecting it, asking for a change, having a cup of coffee, calling their family to see how it's going, you know the drill...

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Strong, strong disagree. Setiawan was the whole reason they won that All England, and he is the one that excels at the sudden changes in pace that make them so good. He's much better around the net, and neither of them are really a huge threat from the back court anymore. Ahsan is usually better as he's more mobile, but he's injured to often that it almost cancels that out on average...

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I'll never not like that video :D

Yeah, and Marin had a point complaining there. Now I see it a bit different than Gill...apparently the Umpire was a bit sensitive to Marin telling him what he had to do and focussed on that, only warning her that she can't tell him how to do his job and not to talk to Saina. I agree with him on that issue - players should not tell Umpires how to do their job and also refrain from engaging their opponents in discussion.
    However, I also agree with Gill in the sense that the Umpire should've warned Saina as well not to shout during ongoing rallies. I saw that shout as very early too, the shuttle wasn't even close to the floor at that point. Both players weren't conducting themselves up to par in that instance.

19. sunscreen

sunscreen Regular Member

Much anticipated glorious (for me) 3 weeks of live badminton (or any live sport coverage, for that matter, but especially badminton, my love!!!). I really thankful for the organizations, players and for the discussion threads here.

We’re all adapting and evolving with the current situation, so feedback is good and I think we can sometimes be more gracious while giving critique

take care n stay safe everybody!!

LenaicM likes this.
  20. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    I cant wait until the next tournament