Toyota THAILAND Open 2021 (S1000) : R/32-FINAL (19-24 January)

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Having seen Lee Yang went from good with Lee Jhe Hui to great with Wang Chi Lin, I can’t help but wonder if they could find a WCL for Sukamuljo:) Just wondering as there are certain similarities here, not to discount Gideon, I am a fan of Gideon, too.

2. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Many of the top players are absent, won’t be surprised if the previous 2 weeks winners win again for their 3rd consecutive titles in Thailand. Getting a bit boring when the same winning players don’t have real challengers.

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

In defense he is a bit weaker, I agree, but that's not the main reason they lose games imop. LY has a tendency to give away the attack by being to playful and tricky, trying to deceive opponents too much and giving them the shuttle above tape height in the mid court area when they don't fall for it, or outright lifting too short because he went for a deception and muffed the shot because of it. He's been better in that regard from what I've seen, keeping it more simple. You're not deceptive anymore when you hold and flick the shuttle 8/10 times, and thankfully he hasn't done that these past 2 weeks from what I've seen.

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

As it tends to happen, female players from weaker badminton nations can still get good quality sparring by playing the male players. Pretty sure Abian was more than her equal. Similar thing happened with Juliane Schenk back in the day, although she also paid WCH out of her pocket as her own personal coach, and I think her sparring partners were her club mates, as she didn't train in a national setup

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

First time seeing her, but Taerattanachai really impressed me - extremely strong defence, and reads the front court very well.

#425 Mark A, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The problem with having a trademark shot... is that it's your trademark shot.

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

One (slightly cynical) thought that popped into my head as Gill announced VA writing history as the first winner of a Super 1000 Slam - of course they constantly write history as the first to do something, if the BWF constantly keeps moving the goal posts by renaming everything....first Grand Prix Golds were the top tier tournaments, then it was the Super Series ones (albeit too many to ever win them all in one year), then there was the Super Series Premier, and now we got the number scheme....I seriously hope they can stick to this one for more than 10 years, and not change the rules in a meaningful way in that time either (i.e. scoring system, court/net dimensions....).
    Then it'll actually mean something (even if critics will add an asterisk on this year's Slam anyway because of the circumstances surrounding it).

Hope HKV isn't hurt, he looked to be in a bit of pain at the end of that match and like he didn't want to lunge deeply on his right leg.

8. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

The 1000 Slam is a good idea.

Whatever its name, we know it's China Open, Indonesia Open and All England.

But Asia Championship now is also 1000 Slam ^-^

9. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Has the ranking points double chance for 2021 being confirmed by BWF?

SO each player/pairs can use their 2019 ranking points to compensate with their 2021 tournaments (whichever is better). That way top players will be protected and lower ranked players can close the gap. But, it should not be added for that same tournament.

For example, Ginting is 2019 WTF finalist. This time around if he is champion he can use this tournament points. However, if he is worst he can use 2019 WTF results but both the same tournament should not and never be added. say if he is finalist again, it shouldnt be Finalist + Finalist for the points total.

i think this makes the most sense. what do you guys think? it actually follows ATP rules - Its just tennis restarted faster than badminton.

10. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Not sure whether HSBC will sponsor BWF World Tour for next four-year period (2022-2025) following economic recession nowadays as COVID-19 impact, probably they would change tournament format (again).

HKV suffers abdominal muscle strain.

11. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    Most likely change of sponsor but where to find sponsors that are financially strong during covid

12. BojepJoe

BojepJoe Regular Member

Unemployed
    Tesla:D

Elon Musk will campaign for Zero Gravity Badminton 2030. BWF World Tour renamed as BWF Galaxy Tour, tournament venues are dark side of the moon, International Space Station and Earth Orbit

Simeon and samkool like this.
  13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

But why should they change the tournament format because of a sponsor change? It's the BWF [main sponsor] tour and the reasons they gave for the restructuring was to make the whole structure more easily understandable, giving tournaments numbers instead of names. I like the structure, since it's quite clear even to casual fans/novices which tournaments are the most meaningful, I just want them to stick to it for more than a decade so the history that's being made actually means something. No more adding layers on top like they did for years (Grand Prix Gold -> Super Series -> Super Series Premier)

14. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Will they find another sponsor to fund all that tours (3+5+7+10) in four year ahead amid tough economic challenges?

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Question is more whether they can keep the current prize money or whether they'll have to drop prize money/decrease tournaments' status. There's no need to change the structure.

16. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

No need to wait until next year, total prize-money is already reduced.

upload_2021-1-25_19-22-33.png

17. terrynguyen121988

Lee will go home (passport in hand), so that Kidambi will play at WTF

ginting lee cheuk yik.jpg

18. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    lol KS already qualified irrespective of LCY or ASG.

19. terrynguyen121988

LOL Kidambi's roommate was positive with Covid-19 and Kidambi has to quarantine of 14 days.

Kidambi has to stop from Toyota Yonex Open at round 2 due to this, do you know that ??? And by the law of quarantine, Kidambi would stayed in the room when WTF was occurring. I know everybody want to know Kidambi's case and just happy to announce it.

20. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer

I know all that, appreciate your intentions, but the way you worded your previous message conveys as if LCY leaving and KS playing WTF are dependent events.

terrynguyen121988 likes this.